Denon Dp-45f bent counterweight

deeply dp
gippej

Denon Dp-45f bent counterweight

Post by gippej » 10 Feb 2019 20:57

Hello,

I just received a Denon Dp-45f from Ebay and I noticed the counterarm is kind of bent? I'm not sure if this is normal considering some of the pics I see online have the same and others do not (though it is hard to tell since it could just be the angles) I have attached a picture, does anyone have any advice? Should I send it back? Everything seems to work fine and I was able to get the arm balanced with no issues. Thanks for any and all help.

http://i.imgur.com/vlSgb9W.jpg

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Denon Dp-45f bent counterweight

Post by AudioFeline » 10 Feb 2019 22:49

This happens to some models of tonearms where the designers didn't consider longer-term consequences.

One Akai series was very prone to this, the cause on those arms is a rubber connection that deteriorated over time (a specific molded part which is hard to repair).

Have you looked in the library to see if there is a service manual for the Denon DP-45F? It may or may not give you some insights into the construction of the arm. Otherwise, you may need to dismantle the arm to see if anything can be done.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 11 Feb 2019 02:26

Not sure, but if, as you say, it balanced out with no issues, I'd let it go, but first check for play in the arm bearing(s). You shouldn't feel any.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 11 Feb 2019 02:57

Yes, I should have added that my Akai with the counterweight droop operated OK by balancing that arm, so the droop should have negligible influence on the use.

My small-detail thinking wonders if there are any sonic differences between a firm and limp counterweight, but I don't think they will create great differences on a tt of this quality. Having said that, my preference would be to firm it up if it is possible, otherwise it should be OK to live with.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 11 Feb 2019 03:00

He didn't say it was limp, just bent. I think limp would be a problem.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 11 Feb 2019 03:07

gippej wrote:
10 Feb 2019 20:57
Hello,

I just received a Denon Dp-45f from Ebay and I noticed the counterarm is kind of bent? I'm not sure if this is normal considering some of the pics I see online have the same and others do not (though it is hard to tell since it could just be the angles) I have attached a picture, does anyone have any advice? Should I send it back? Everything seems to work fine and I was able to get the arm balanced with no issues. Thanks for any and all help.
Take the counterweight off and look down the stub, there should be a screw holding it to the arm. If you are lucky the screw can be undone a bit allowing for the stub to be pushed farther in, then you re-tighten the screw. Often there is a rubber grommet between stub and arm to decouple the weight. Hopefully that's the case as it's an easy fix.

Worth checking what's wrong, last thing you want is the weight falling off while playing a record.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 11 Feb 2019 03:11

lenjack wrote:
11 Feb 2019 03:00
He didn't say it was limp, just bent. I think limp would be a problem.
Limpness and floppiness need not be the end of it, a bit of gentle handling might help firm things up again. Just needs a bit of special attention and a helping hand.

gippej

Post by gippej » 14 Feb 2019 04:27

Thanks for all the help, decided to send it back. I just didnt want to risk anything.