Denon DP 60 L

deeply dp
mywarren

Denon DP 60 L

Post by mywarren » 29 Aug 2018 16:00

This turntable has been running fine since the early 80s. Recently it developed, or seems to have developed, a ground hum on the left channel. It is signal grounded to the preamp using the ground strap from the turntable. The loop just presented itself one day out of the blue. If I unstrap the signal ground the hum is very loud. If I reverse left to right the problem transfers to the other channel so it is the turntable not the preamp.

SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS?

Audiodude

Re: Denon DP 60 L

Post by Audiodude » 20 Dec 2018 15:35

Might be broken shield conductor in the interconnect. I would replace the RCA cable first. The original cable is fair at best and is over 30 yrs. old. I just replaced mine with a Straightwires cable and it was a nice upgrade. Hope this helps.

mywarren

Post by mywarren » 20 Dec 2018 15:48

Hello Audiodude. I think you might be dead on. I tried some electrical test flexing the cable and connectors. The results were inconclusive but the symptoms support your conclusion. The original RCA audio cables are a bit cheap looking. I am going with your recommendation. Stay tuned. Results after Christmas. Thank you, Mark

mywarren

Post by mywarren » 31 Mar 2019 18:02

It turned out that the 2 tone arm connectors needed to be reworked. I use the S tone arm not the low mass tone arm. The tone arm to head shell and tone arm to pivot body assembly connectors were the culprits