Anyone out there who know the Denon DP-80/75 Really well?

deeply dp
totem
Canada

Re: Anyone out there who know the Denon DP-80/75 Really well

Post by totem » 25 Feb 2018 22:03

Nice to see your plinth and drive coming together, I'm liking the look of your maple boards.

You might want to consider for the main board being able to raise
its height thereby reducing the amount of spindle extension of the Audio Craft arm.

Some of these drives "Denon & Victor" are quite tall and end up needing a lot of spindle extension of the arms
which is never a good thing if you can avoid it.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 26 Feb 2018 16:28

totem wrote:Nice to see your plinth and drive coming together, I'm liking the look of your maple boards.

You might want to consider for the main board being able to raise
its height thereby reducing the amount of spindle extension of the Audio Craft arm.

Some of these drives "Denon & Victor" are quite tall and end up needing a lot of spindle extension of the arms
which is never a good thing if you can avoid it.
The DP-80 is about 1.25" tall, the collar on the AC-400C is almost an inch. Having once or twice encountered situations with arm not being able to go low enough for a specific installation I was more concerned in that direction. As it stands I think it will work out just dandy. The Audio Craft is new to me and I've never installed it before so I guess I will find out soon enough!

Jimbuy

Post by Jimbuy » 11 Mar 2018 14:28

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the Sumiko MMT and the Audiocraft?
I have the MMT on an Oracle Alex and am thinking of trying another arm.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 25 Aug 2018 20:59

Jimbuy wrote:Any thoughts on the relative merits of the Sumiko MMT and the Audiocraft?
I have the MMT on an Oracle Alex and am thinking of trying another arm.
I will let you know shortly! Setting up carts on one of each on the same table today.

Jimbuy

Post by Jimbuy » 26 Aug 2018 11:41

I see you have the 'DIY' VTA adjustment control on the MMT. Did you get that from Deepgroove on eBay? I have a suspended table so I had to modify mine. I was able to reduce the weight by 82 g. It's a pretty neat idea.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 26 Aug 2018 16:34

I forget who I got the micrometer control from, but it was off ebay and just recently. I'm not sure who the seller was, but it was a clever bit of thinking behind it. In my installation the mass of it is of no matter, but with a suspended table it certainly would be!
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1894/433 ... 7b6e_k.jpgDSC_2428 by fiddlefye, on Flickr

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 26 Aug 2018 17:42

So refined! Best description I can give this morning.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 26 Aug 2018 18:25

Your plinth is simply gorgeous. You have crafted a unique and stellar turntable. =D>

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 26 Aug 2018 18:30

Legrace wrote:Your plinth is simply gorgeous. You have crafted a unique and stellar turntable. =D>
Thanks! I'm really loving it. A bit more refining on the set-up yet I'm sure (so much to wrap my head around with this arm), but it already whups anything I've heard to date. Well worth all of the work that went into it! Happy guy.

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 27 Aug 2018 20:01

fiddlefye wrote:I have a friend who has Peter's phono pre and loves it. On my list after a few other things get dealt with.

The DP-80 is back home and running perfectly. What a magnificent beast it is! I have a bit of work to finish on the plinth and a couple of arms to get mounted yet. With a bit of luck I will be listening to it all by next weekend.
I also have the Liberty Audio B2B-1.1 and its great. Highly recommended.

Ed

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 27 Aug 2018 20:04

fiddlefye wrote:I forget who I got the micrometer control from, but it was off ebay and just recently. I'm not sure who the seller was, but it was a clever bit of thinking behind it. In my installation the mass of it is of no matter, but with a suspended table it certainly would be!
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1894/433 ... 7b6e_k.jpgDSC_2428 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
That table is beautiful! First class work.

Ed

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 27 Aug 2018 23:23

Thanks! It was definitely a "labour of love". I can state with some certainty that my turntable quest has reached an end. Arms and carts will undoubtedly change in time (carts in particular), but the drive and plinth are all I could ask now.

Jimbuy

Post by Jimbuy » 28 Aug 2018 14:13

fiddlefye wrote:Thanks! It was definitely a "labour of love". I can state with some certainty that my turntable quest has reached an end. Arms and carts will undoubtedly change in time (carts in particular), but the drive and plinth are all I could ask now.
How many times have I said that! ;^) .....But not from your lofty point of view. That's a real beauty.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 28 Aug 2018 18:57

Jimbuy wrote:
fiddlefye wrote:Thanks! It was definitely a "labour of love". I can state with some certainty that my turntable quest has reached an end. Arms and carts will undoubtedly change in time (carts in particular), but the drive and plinth are all I could ask now.
How many times have I said that! ;^) .....But not from your lofty point of view. That's a real beauty.
I would tend to agree with you, hah! In this case I think I have made my statement with rather more authority than usual. The stability and poise of the drive, the refinement is far beyond anything I've heard before, anywhere. It just stays right out of the music and is quick and easy to use. I just can't imagine ever being able to afford anything that did a better job, nor can I imagine what that might be.