3 minute wonder
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: What 78 RPM Did You Buy Today?

Post by Coffee Phil » 02 Nov 2019 16:57

Hi wblynch,

Congratulations! Welcome to the fast spinning club!

I assume that you have secured the proper stylus and know about summing the channels to mono. It usually make a big difference with 78s.

Phil
wblynch wrote:
02 Nov 2019 06:43
Coffee Phil wrote:
22 Oct 2019 17:27
Hi wblynch,

You machine controls speed with RC time constants so it is very likely that you can easily get it to spin at 78.26 RPM.

Phil
wblynch wrote:
20 Oct 2019 23:57
Found a bunch of 78s at a local used stuff store. Came out with 120 random records for $80. Haven’t gone through them and don’t even have 78 playback capabilities at this time. But cleaned off the first dozen and added them to my DiscOGS collection. Earliest so far is from 1909. Most are 1920-48.

I’m excited to listen to them. Have to convert my SL-1900 first.
Thanks Coffee Phil.

I couldn’t find any info for converting my Technics SL-1900 and guides for other models didn’t help. But some poking around and experimentation led me to find that bridging R10 with a 28 kohm resistor got me very close. I do have to adjust the 45 rpm speed control but I have 78 now. I might try a 22 kohm instead. A switch allows me to retain 45 functionality.

After reviewing the 120 78s I now have, the earliest are 1904 and 1905.

I was happy to find Billy Murray’s “Casey Jones, the Brave Engineer”, from 1910. As far as I can tell, this is the first recording of the legendary song.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 02 Nov 2019 18:07

wblynch wrote:
02 Nov 2019 06:43
I was happy to find Billy Murray’s “Casey Jones, the Brave Engineer”, from 1910. As far as I can tell, this is the first recording of the legendary song.
Not too hard a record to find, it sold very well for Victor. Billy Murray also recorded a version for Edison around the same time period.

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 02 Nov 2019 18:11

Coffee Phil wrote:
02 Nov 2019 16:57
Hi wblynch,

Congratulations! Welcome to the fast spinning club!

I assume that you have secured the proper stylus and know about summing the channels to mono. It usually make a big difference with 78s.

Phil
Thanks. Yes, I got an AT95 cartridge equipped with the 78 stylus from LPGear. I didn’t jump the channels at the headshell but did take advantage of the Mono switch on my Pioneer receiver.

So far I’ve spun through about 30 sides already this morning.

_ITX_
Austria

Post by _ITX_ » 20 Nov 2019 10:44

I inherited the last remaining 78 shellacs from my late great grandmother a few years ago. Apart from my rookie mistake of playing them with a standard vinyl cartridge, I try to keep them as protected as possible and always store them in a cupboard in our living room.

The records are still in their original paper sleeves, and the older ones are even in the original shopping bag from the record store my great granny got them from. What's really special is that they were bought during WW2, so there are war-specific imprints on the bag (pictures will follow, I'm currently not at home).

Songs are mainly opera or operetta pieces, since that's what my great granny was into. But there are also a bunch of german schlager songs among them. My favorite is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrfs0eMYnoA

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 20 Nov 2019 18:34

The Leo Slezak disc is kind of interesting from the perspective of someone in the U.S.A. Slezak was one of Thomas Edison's favored singers and his Edison recordings are fairly common over here but not so much other labels.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 08 Dec 2019 04:48

Didn't buy any 78 RPM records today, just 3 more early country selections on 80 RPM Diamond Discs, close enough?
IMG_2310.JPG
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Flip sides are 51422- (torn label) Arkansas Traveller Breakdown, 51459- Prisoner's Song, and 51608, (missing label) She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain. Aside from labels on 2 without sleeves, all these $3 selections were in well preserved condition, and played very well.

While I thought I only had found the cylinder of Way Out West In Kansas, seems I now have 2 good copies of 51459, although it's always nice to find a few duplicates of favorite records to keep with my extra Diamond Disc phonograph.

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 08 Dec 2019 20:25

Did anyone here get any of the Robert Johnson new release 78’s on Record Store Day?

I wasn’t near any participating stores so didn’t get a chance. I don’t know if they will be available online.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 08 Dec 2019 20:38

wblynch wrote:
08 Dec 2019 20:25
Did anyone here get any of the Robert Johnson new release 78’s on Record Store Day?

I wasn’t near any participating stores so didn’t get a chance. I don’t know if they will be available online.
I picked one up to give as a gift. Haven't opened it. You can find them on e-bay. RSD stuff always turns up on the 'bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERT-JOHNSON ... u&LH_BIN=1

It's a lightweight vinyl pressing. You wouldn't want to play it on a windup gramophone.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 08 Dec 2019 22:22

Interesting. The description in the eBay listing describes it as "a 78 RPM microgroove record" so there's even more reason to avoid trying to play it on a traditional 78 RPM device.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 08 Dec 2019 22:39

BMRR wrote:
08 Dec 2019 22:22
Interesting. The description in the eBay listing describes it as "a 78 RPM microgroove record" so there's even more reason to avoid trying to play it on a traditional 78 RPM device.
That too. Although, I've yet to see one of these modern day 78 rpm vinyl pressings that that isn't microgroove. Even if it was wide groove, anything pressed on vinyl is a no go with a windup machine. Incuding vinyl / plastic type wide groove 78's from the 1940's-50's-60's.

It'd also be neat if it was master pressed, that is, pressed from an original metal stamper because I believe there are some Robert Johnson metal parts that still exist, but alas, being microgroove it could only be a dub. I'd wager that it may be dubbed from the same transfers that are from the Robert Johnson Centennial Collection CD set of a few years ago. That set sounds very good and is the go to for best sounding Robert Johnson on CD out there. That it's a dub is why I wasn't that keen on buying this for myself, if I alerady have these songs in equivalent quality. I'm tempted to crack the seal on the one I bought, but it don't look so good as a gift already opened. [-X

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 08 Dec 2019 23:57

I seem to remember reading years ago that the Robert Johnson stampers were rusty and needed extensive digital clean up after playing with a Stanton inverted stylus. If that is the case, pressings from the masters directly might be pretty lousy sounding. I haven't heard any of the modern copies of his stuff, I have the album from about 1960 somewhere with 16 tracks on it. I do think I will have to search out the newer stuff next time I'm at my LRS. I doubt any 78 rpm discs pressed after the Rhino boxes in the 80s are anything but microgroove. I can't see anyone making 2.5 mil cutters anymore. Too esoteric nowadays. I have a few modern 78s too like the Beach Boys RSD title. They can sound pretty good. I wish the RSD blues 78s came to Ottawa, ePay is way too expensive for that stuff. I spent over $300 at RSD Black Friday as it is.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 09 Dec 2019 00:08

Bob Dillon wrote:
08 Dec 2019 22:39
I'd wager that it may be dubbed from the same transfers that are from the Robert Johnson Centennial Collection CD set of a few years ago. That set sounds very good and is the go to for best sounding Robert Johnson on CD out there. That it's a dub is why I wasn't that keen on buying this for myself, if I alerady have these songs in equivalent quality. I'm tempted to crack the seal on the one I bought, but it don't look so good as a gift already opened. [-X
So I couldn't take the suspense anymore and played this RSD thing, because I couldn't find someone doing it on YouTube. It sounds copied from the Centennial Collection masters, which is to say, quite good. And one more thing, the vinyl is really quiet, which is impressive for a vinyl 78 pressing, where any random tick n' pop may be added 2-3 fold per unit of time on 78 vs. a 33 pressing. It's nicely done, this Robert Johnson RSD 78.

Now the person I bought the record for will have to accept that I played it once. Oh, the humanity.

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 09 Dec 2019 04:13

Bob Dillon wrote:
09 Dec 2019 00:08
So I couldn't take the suspense anymore and played this RSD thing, because I couldn't find someone doing it on YouTube.
Thanks for taking one for the team so we could have a report. I don’t have any Robert Johnson recordings so this would be fun to get

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 09 Dec 2019 04:15

I just saw the prices people want for this on EBay. Take it to mean I won't be paying that for two tracks. The bug hasn’t bitten me that bad.

...yet