Having finished the Saturn for the 65 year old hippy I am left with the second Saturn in a sorry looking state. So with little to do over the weekend and the wife out with the girls I decided to see if anything could be done with it.
If you haven't seen it elsewhere it came looking like this
The cover, headshell, power lead and cartridge had been used for Dads TT so all that was left was the body, motor, platter, arm (without headshell) and arm lead (without connection plugs).
The leads were not a problem so after an hour or so of searching my collection of old bits and bobs (I hate to throw anything away that might be useful for Ron)and a bit of soldering and taping I'd made up a very Heath Robinson power lead and connection and fitted plugs to the arm lead. Having connected up the power it turned on and the light lit up. turning the little silver power switch had the platter spinning. Stage one completed I knew it was worth continuing.
Stage two was the clean. Another hour or two of scrubbing, dusting, brushing, polishing and spitting with every tub and bottle of the wife's finest cleaning products and it was all shiney and sparkly.
Stage three was the headshell. As those of you who've been following my projects will be aware, the headshell of the Transcriptor Saturn is akin to hens teeth and rocking horse poo in its unobtainability (is that a new word I've just invented?) So falling back on my degree in "have a go yourself" I decided to make one. You will see from the pic above that when we picked up the second TT it came with two headshells and cartridges. As expected these didn't fit the Saturn arm. They were both Stanton headshells each with a Stanton 500II cartridge. The stylus in each looked in good condition with little use.
The problem with the Saturn arm is that it needs around 6-7mm of pin coming off the headshell to connect it whereas most only have around 3-4mm. So using a couple of bits of scrap wood, a straigtened out paperclip and a round sticky foam pad I made a replacement headshell
Please bear in mind this is prototype one. It isn't square at the front and the final unit will be finished properly. The lump on top is ballast it and is a 3g weight normally used for car wheel alignment (see I told you I never throw anything away) I tried a 5g but it was too much. I will be making a final model with straight cuts. I will sink the weight into the wood and give it a veneer of burr walnut. I've got a box of off cuts that this sort of thing cries out for.
Anyhoo after connecting the Stanton cart and fitting the headshell I gave it a test run. Tadah it plays and plays quite well.
The sun came out so me and the dog spent the afternoon lazing in the sun listening to vinyl until the wife came home. Happy days