the home of the turntable

Home made interconnect

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Home made interconnect

Postby timbloke » 24 Jan 2012 23:13

Regarding the directional, ground at one end cables- I noticed on the blurb for my Van Den Hul D102 interconnects 'they feel that' the end marked with a paper sticker saying 'ground' is best at the source end but it's not essential and the listener should 'experiment'. That's longwinded waffle for 'it doesn't make any difference'.
timbloke

Postby cafe latte » 24 Jan 2012 23:20

timbloke wrote:Regarding the directional, ground at one end cables- I noticed on the blurb for my Van Den Hul D102 interconnects 'they feel that' the end marked with a paper sticker saying 'ground' is best at the source end but it's not essential and the listener should 'experiment'. That's longwinded waffle for 'it doesn't make any difference'.

:D :D If it did make a difference I would be worried :D
Regards
CL
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby youngdand » 25 Jan 2012 00:43

I Remember being at college studying sound engineering, and my tutors at the time were the cheif engineer for the BBC, an engineer at abbey road, and some guy whos name escapes me that used to write for sound on sound in the late 90's, and we had this debate (albeit regarding speaker cables) at least once a term, and the over riding outcome everytime is that mains flex was more than adequate for most audio use, and was a tenth of the price of supposedly pro stuff canford audio was trying to peddle. This may have changed slightly in this time with all the wireless comms that are used nowadays, but good shielding, or using balanced cables should be enough.

Having said that I have about 800 meters of military /aerospace spec silver plate over silver alloy 30awg polyester coated cable that i will be advertising soon. the insulation is thin, but the cable is too rigid for tonearems, but fine for point to point wiring as is wrappable, and also good for litz brading for cables.
youngdand
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby timbloke » 25 Jan 2012 02:09

the over riding outcome everytime is that mains flex was more than adequate for most audio use

I remember hearing that solid core mains flex made for great speaker cable. Might give it try someday.
timbloke

Postby hoolio » 25 Jan 2012 11:40

For your interest this is from the Pro Audio quarter:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
Man fears time
But time fears the Pyramids
hoolio

Australia

Postby jlbruyelle » 25 Jan 2012 16:09

cafe latte wrote:
timbloke wrote:Regarding the directional, ground at one end cables- I noticed on the blurb for my Van Den Hul D102 interconnects 'they feel that' the end marked with a paper sticker saying 'ground' is best at the source end but it's not essential and the listener should 'experiment'. That's longwinded waffle for 'it doesn't make any difference'.

:D :D If it did make a difference I would be worried :D
Regards
CL

Actually it can make a difference, or not, depending on how the whole system is grounded. It is usually hard to tell in advance, and in any case it is safe to experiment, so the advice on the sticker makes perfect sense. It is my own experience that the hum difference between configurations can vary all the way from zero to drastic, according to the setup. This is also a reason why the pros use balanced interconnects, even for short runs: it virtually eliminates the risk of humming in the first place, without the need to experiment.
jlbruyelle

France

Postby satanfriendly » 25 Jan 2012 17:59

On the matter of DIY interconnectes there used to be a chap here on VE (TNTTNT) who made his own and after trialling a set I changed all of mine for his DIY jobs. Cost buttons and superbly put together with Neutrik phono plugs.

Quiet, neutral and just super performers. No bull, just good common sense.

Pity he's gone AWOL as I could certinly do with some more at the moment. Mind you I've been buying Atlas Equator's at silly low prices so I'm happy, but otherwise come back Ray the cable world needs you.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby youngdand » 25 Jan 2012 19:31

believe he set his own site for cable making

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html
youngdand
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby timbloke » 25 Jan 2012 20:13

Mind you I've been buying Atlas Equator's at silly low prices so I'm happy

So you've made your own cables, thought they were great but then went back to shop bought ones at £35 a pair. Interesting.
timbloke

Postby satanfriendly » 25 Jan 2012 21:53

£15 a pair actually. I never said I paid £35 only 'a silly price' which £15 is.

The DIY cables as I said were curtesy of a past VE member and I needed two more pairs recently, although I must try the DIY approach when time allows. Too busy getting a Logic set-up and running, rebuilding a Lenco for someone and being back home with the family after 6 weeks away at sea.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby youngdand » 25 Jan 2012 22:04

Braiding sure does take some patience.

I have made a braided mains flex for my ariston RD11s using the silver cable i have put up in the for sale section. bu i didn't make it as an upgrade, just needed a longer flex. I use a bt mains conditioner for running the trurntable and preamp, so i doubt very much any cable after that is going to make much of a difference.

these conditioners are a bargin for anyone interested, they turn up on ebay for about £30 and they kick out a rock solid 240v AC. they are used to prevent mains spikes on isdn equipment.

I made a set of the CAT5 speaker cables on TNT's site, and they were pretty good to be honest.
youngdand
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby satanfriendly » 25 Jan 2012 22:50

I thought TNT-Audio were of Italian origin? Ray is probably too interested in playing cricket to start a web-site!
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby youngdand » 25 Jan 2012 23:10

Maybe got wires crossed then.

the cables on that site are very good though.
youngdand
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby awkwardbydesign » 25 Jan 2012 23:32

satanfriendly wrote:

I thought TNT-Audio were of Italian origin? Ray is probably too interested in playing cricket to start a web-site!

Italian origin, but many contributors, including English.
I have made the XLO type ICs and I like them a lot, although PC-OCC solid silver in PTFE, plaited, cotton sleeved, with Valab carbon fibre sleeved RCAs sound better from the DAC to the TVC. Although plaiting (or braiding for some)can be slow, it has nothing on the XLO spiralling!
awkwardbydesign

Postby cafe latte » 26 Jan 2012 00:06

youngdand wrote:Braiding sure does take some patience.

I have made a braided mains flex for my ariston RD11s using the silver cable i have put up in the for sale section. bu i didn't make it as an upgrade, just needed a longer flex. I use a bt mains conditioner for running the trurntable and preamp, so i doubt very much any cable after that is going to make much of a difference.

these conditioners are a bargin for anyone interested, they turn up on ebay for about £30 and they kick out a rock solid 240v AC. they are used to prevent mains spikes on isdn equipment.

I made a set of the CAT5 speaker cables on TNT's site, and they were pretty good to be honest.

Ok big caution here!!! Cat 5 speaker cables can kill your amp or at the very least send it into parasytic ossilations, infact very few amps out there will perform normally when you connect such highly capacitive cables up. I made a set for my esl 57s as they are the ONLY speakers were highly capacitive cables might be a good thing. Anyway I stopped using them when I measured the heatsink of my amp which was made specifically for the difficult load esl 57s present and even this very rubust amp was running 15 degrees c hotter when I used the cat 5 cables!!! Highly capacitive speaker cable has no benefit at all with regular speakers (not esls), there are some benefits with older designs of esl like the esl 57, but the negative effect that they have on the amp with increased distortion and the possibility of a dead amp far outways the possible gains. I kid not any differences you may have heard was most likely a very unhappy amp.
Regards
CL
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Turntables and Tonearms