Vintage Receivers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Post Reply
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7635
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2019 20:49

There is a thread on audio karma about MCS receivers where they say the 3245 was built by Capetronics and reference the initials CPT on a manual for it as confirming it.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... 366/page-6

snavarre
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Apr 2019 18:27
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by snavarre » 05 Dec 2019 20:58

Tinkaroo wrote:
05 Dec 2019 20:49
There is a thread on audio karma about MCS receivers where they say the 3245 was built by Capetronics and reference the initials CPT on a manual for it as confirming it.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... 366/page-6
Thank you! I did find that thread yesterday while Googling, but never made it all the way through. Oh, brother.

I see just down from the Capetronics mention they mention the tape deck I have was made by NEC and highly regarded as well. Double score in finding out about these machines! Thanks!

truedeth
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 321
Joined: 30 Jan 2019 22:51
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by truedeth » 05 Dec 2019 21:46

Jesus that is a lot of knobs and levers. It's beautiful

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2542
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool, PA

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by lenjack » 05 Dec 2019 22:33

It's got to be good! 27 buttons and switches. That's right up there! =P~ Seriously, I'' bet it was a fine unit.

cary114
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 114
Joined: 21 Sep 2018 21:07
Location: Buffalo Wyoming

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by cary114 » 06 Dec 2019 05:17

I would like to see under the hood of that beast.

snavarre
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Apr 2019 18:27
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by snavarre » 06 Dec 2019 15:27

cary114 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 05:17
I would like to see under the hood of that beast.
Looks like I'm going to have open her up. Fortunately, so far the only issues I'm having are the selector buttons have some static when pressed and won't engage fully for the FM and Phono 1. Tried spraying some contact cleaner through the front and it hasn't done much. I'll take pics when I do!

spensar
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 841
Joined: 04 May 2014 02:40

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by spensar » 06 Dec 2019 17:53

Here is my all stock Sansui shop. It is in wonderful condition after a deep cleaning, and the case is in superb condition. It just got back from getting checked out, having the offset, bias and tuner tuned up and a new pointer bulb installed - otherwise all original and working great. It is a beautiful sounding receiver and seems to match up well with the Totem Rainmakers. Very excited about this one, and it is my new favourite :mrgreen:. I really like the modest footprint that has monster receiver inputs and controls. Hifiengine shows it rated at 38 watts but it punches above its weight class!
1.jpg
(56.63 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
2.jpg
(67.81999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
3.jpg
(67.70999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
4.jpg
(85.81 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
5.jpg
(62.78 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7635
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2019 18:05

That's a beautiful Sansui Seven Spensar!

It looks like a keeper. 8)

Those 40 watt receivers from that era can more than hold their own.Great build quality too!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20890
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by vinyl master » 07 Dec 2019 00:00

Love it, love it, love it, Spensar! =D>

There is just something about those Sansuis that can make a music lover drool... =P~

Make sure you show a few pics in our other thread here, too! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=79241

cary114
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 114
Joined: 21 Sep 2018 21:07
Location: Buffalo Wyoming

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by cary114 » 07 Dec 2019 02:07

snavarre wrote:
06 Dec 2019 15:27
cary114 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 05:17
I would like to see under the hood of that beast.
Looks like I'm going to have open her up. Fortunately, so far the only issues I'm having are the selector buttons have some static when pressed and won't engage fully for the FM and Phono 1. Tried spraying some contact cleaner through the front and it hasn't done much. I'll take pics when I do!
oh goody!

snavarre
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Apr 2019 18:27
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by snavarre » 07 Dec 2019 19:34

cary114 wrote:
07 Dec 2019 02:07
snavarre wrote:
06 Dec 2019 15:27
cary114 wrote:
06 Dec 2019 05:17
I would like to see under the hood of that beast.
Looks like I'm going to have open her up. Fortunately, so far the only issues I'm having are the selector buttons have some static when pressed and won't engage fully for the FM and Phono 1. Tried spraying some contact cleaner through the front and it hasn't done much. I'll take pics when I do!
oh goody!
Thanks to the guys at Audio Karma I have resolved the issues I was having with both the tape deck and 3245. And have a line on where to get new bulbs and sockets. Yay! Here's some pics of the innards. I wish I understood what 90% of this stuff did. lol

https://photos.smugmug.com/Vintage-Audi ... 398-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Vintage-Audi ... 028-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Vintage-Audi ... 560-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Vintage-Audi ... 668-X2.jpg

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2542
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool, PA

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by lenjack » 07 Dec 2019 19:40

It's magic. You're not supposed to know. Classified.

stevepaige
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Apr 2016 02:24

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by stevepaige » 21 Dec 2019 05:05

A couple of my finds over the last 2 years. It has been fun finding and enjoying these beauties.
Attachments
0808192010.jpg
HK430 Twin Power
(98.75 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
CameraZOOM-20181022225512564.jpg
CR-820 & SX1000TW
(146.84 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

spensar
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 841
Joined: 04 May 2014 02:40

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by spensar » 21 Dec 2019 05:30

Very nice finds. The HK and Pioneer are very nice, the Yammies always seem to look a bit more classy.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20890
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Vintage Receivers

Post by vinyl master » 21 Dec 2019 08:49

Lovely stuff, steve...While I have a nice Pioneer or two (SX-450, SX-1500TD) and a nice Yammy (CR-620), I think I might have to keep a lookout for a great Harman Kardon receiver sometime...Great finds, indeed! 8)

Post Reply