long player
long player

Re: Integrated Amplifier, Pre/Power or Receiver - POLL

Post by Spinner45 » 18 Dec 2018 04:25

reisod wrote:
18 Dec 2018 03:53
Spinner45 wrote:
08 Dec 2018 04:25
Using an amplifier that only has a volume knob and source selector, (you know which ones are out there) is like driving a car that only has one "gear", instead of 5, 6, or automatic transmissions.
You're stuck with the limitations.
Ya gotta have tone controls, and I don't wanna hear from those "purists" that insist on "flat" crap.
While I don't disagree, I have tended to keep my tone controls more flat in my older age. Variable loudness however is a must if my wife is in the room (she likes the volume knob shifted about 20% counter clockwise from where I would put it).
Yes, women are usually more sensitive than men in the hearing department.

Jorlsafar

Post by Jorlsafar » 18 Dec 2018 21:03

I recently changed from big floorstanders and a hefty power amp to active speakers, Genelec 8050, that has 8" woofers driven by a 150 W amp and 1" tweeters driven by a 120 W amp and are ported. The proceeds from the older speakers and the amp were more than enough to pay for the Genelecs. The crossover freq is 1,8 hertz and the tweeter has a generous wave guide that diffuse the sound lovely in the whole room. Speaking of tone controls, there are dip switches on the back, that I've put to good use to counter a bass hump at my preferred sweet spot. Dip and forget, as they say. The sound is never fatiguing and everything is heard - after all that's the way they're designed, as a tool for long listening sessions. You could play mega high and there is overload protection. I've been interested in hifi and music for all my life and I've never had better sound. happily groovin to Peter Hammill's Rikki Nadir right now.

rftechnology
Malaysia

Post by rftechnology » 14 Jan 2019 19:03

Dear Friends,. I am in dire need for Service Manual for PE ( German Maker ) HiFi Mixer/Amp Model HSV80 ...can anyone kindly give me a Link to obtain it Free of Charge ? .. I am a Electronics Service Engineer age 67 and like to get this late 60's model which I buy from a Flea market. I have very found memory on this model when I was in my early 20's
Can anyone help me for a Service Manual.
Thanks in advance.

Tankist42
United States of America

Post by Tankist42 » 14 Jan 2019 23:58

In my living room I use a Sony STR-DH190 stereo reciever.
In my music room I use a Technics SA-500 stereo reviecer.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 28 Jan 2019 22:12

About 3 years ago, I was lucky enough to get a "NAD C 350" integrated amp on e-bay for a really great price.
It is in perfect working and cosmetic condition .
It's rated at 60 watts RMS per channel but has been tested not to clip until about 134 watts.... adequate for loud transients.

Yes, I like this amp. :)

dB12

Post by dB12 » 02 Feb 2019 16:23

Spinner45 wrote:
08 Dec 2018 04:25
Using an amplifier that only has a volume knob and source selector, (you know which ones are out there) is like driving a car that only has one "gear", instead of 5, 6, or automatic transmissions.
You're stuck with the limitations.
Ya gotta have tone controls, and I don't wanna hear from those "purists" that insist on "flat" crap.

I bought my first amplifier, a Kenwood KA 7100 in 1977 when I was 16. I did not consider myself a purist then or now, however, one of the features I liked on this amp was the tone defeat that bypassed the tone controls.
I always enjoyed listening to my music this way, even when others had equalizers to augment their amplifier tone controls.

When I was looking for a new preamp I went with an Audio by Van Alstine 10RB (real basic) tube preamp because it had just a source selector and volume control, and that is the way I wanted it.

My newest (to me) preamp is an Agagio tube preamp with a seperate power supply from the early 80's, it is an impressive sounding piece of gear with just a source selector, a reverse and mono switch, and dual step volume controls.

I can respect and understand your opinion on wanting tone controls, even if I don't.

My suggestion is that if you don't want to hear the opinions of others ( which you seem to be refering to as "crap" ) then an open forum on the internet may not be the best place for you.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 02 Feb 2019 16:50

As dB 12 says to Spinner45..."My suggestion is that if you don't want to hear the opinions of others ( which you seem to be refering to as "crap" ) then an open forum on the internet may not be the best place for you."

This may not be the place for you ......

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 02 Feb 2019 18:00

Crawled a little further down the rabbit hole, replacing a 75wpc Sonamp with a Rotel RB-990BX (200wpc @8ohms). Pairs nicely with a Rotel RTC-940AX tuner/preamp and MoFi StudioPhono pre. The improvement in SQ from my Polk SDA speakers was striking. I'm actually thinking I might be good enough where I am. Of course, I'm now wondering about tubes . . .

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 02 Feb 2019 18:47

duplicate post
Last edited by Pauw on 02 Feb 2019 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 02 Feb 2019 18:47

Dr_Wu wrote:
02 Feb 2019 18:00
Crawled a little further down the rabbit hole, replacing a 75wpc Sonamp with a Rotel RB-990BX (200wpc @8ohms). Pairs nicely with a Rotel RTC-940AX tuner/preamp and MoFi StudioPhono pre. The improvement in SQ from my Polk SDA speakers was striking. I'm actually thinking I might be good enough where I am. Of course, I'm now wondering about tubes . . .
Beware!! This hobby can turn into an endless run after perfection......result? Very empty pockets......no real satisfaction and plans to go further into debt......I believe the main idea should be to enjoy the music on a good system......perfection well...... :D The old Macca song applies.......Yesterday.....all my troubles seemed so far away....now it looks as if there here to stay...oh I believe in yesterday.....suddenly .......

:D

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 11 Feb 2019 17:54

I have a multichannel AV Receiver (Yamaha RXV483) and I really don't think I need any more. What else could I get? More power? I live in a small apartment. More detail, resolution, clarity? Better stereo Image? It seems my AV receiver does the job fine. Im afraid technology has evolved so much in a way that nearly any modern audio system you own is gonna do the job fine and going further will report some smal benefits for some specific kind of music and for some tracks and for some records and not others... You can never get everything right 100% that's a fact of life.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 23 Feb 2019 22:14

in my primary listening room I have Mackie HR824 monitors connected to a Roland MS1000 digital mixer. The Mackies are near-field monitors, not designed for a living room environment. For the living room I use an integrated amp & some passive micro speakers + active subwoofer. Space is a premium....

Delta17

Post by Delta17 » 12 Mar 2019 18:18

The Main System is NAD 1130 & NAD 2200 ( sometimes is Dynaco 400)
The Guest room H.H.Scott 222c
The Closet EICO HF-12
The Barn is a Technics SA-300

Monastic_Mike

Post by Monastic_Mike » 29 Apr 2019 03:21

Odyssey Khartago Stereo with mods
(Currently) Schiit SYS passive pre
(Soon) Odyssey Candela tube pre

I went separates so that I could build piece by piece and get the best I can afford.

jay73
United States of America

Post by jay73 » 02 May 2019 21:47

Hello,

Well this looks like fun, so I'll chime in. First time posting on this forum.

I am in the process of building my 2 channel system and have upgraded a few items.

My main source unit is a old beast from Denon but still going strong 20 years later (bought on eBay for around $250 some years ago).

The AVR-5700 140wpc

It's a AV receiver but I use it only for 2 channel and I think it sounds great.

Just bought the following recently: Martin Logan Motion 40 Speakers and Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amp for DAC functionality.

Hooked up to a Denon dp-300 TT Ortofon 2M Blue and Denon DBP-1611UD for CD/SACD.

I am considering upgrading to a external phono pre-amp, heard a lot of good stuff about Lounge Audio and Cambridge Audio.

Movie Duties performed by Aventage RX-A1000