Proper Speaker Placement

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Re: Proper Speaker Placement

Post by Adamo0926 » 02 Jul 2019 05:15

Sunwire.....the affect I have been talking about seems to only happen with the Ohm C2s, where the bass is a bit more prominent off axis like I described. However, it does not seem to happen with the ADS L730s.

Now the C2s are a ported design with the port on the front face of the speaker, while the L730s are an acoustic suspension design.....so I assume that has something to do with it as well ?

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 02 Jul 2019 06:35

I don't know of any reason why a ported speaker would behave differently than an acoustic suspension speaker in this regard. In any case, just move them to where they sound best. And move your listening position, too.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 29 Jul 2019 09:24

In a perfect world a house would have a proper listening room, speakers placed in a Golden triangle, devoid of any interference such as windows, curtains, carpet, furniture, wallpaper or electrical appliances such as a TV etc., but in reality we like to listen in the comfort of our main living room with the telly on which unfortunately includes many if not all of these interfering objects close by - i recently downsized into a new home surrounded by the above objects, speakers close to the wall, by a settee, telly shoved in between and my system never sounded better! :D

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Aug 2019 01:19

Every now and then I come back to this thread and read some of the earlier posts. I sometimes wonder if people are listening a bit to critically and listening to the equipment rather than the music. With that being said, I thought I should be hearing better bass from all my speakers especially at lower volumes.

I found an article about Speaker Boundary Interference Response which talked about how the bass reflection off the front wall can cause large dips or cancellation in the listening area.

"Not hearing enough bass through your monitors? The distance between your room boundaries and speakers has a huge impact on your bass performance.

Speakers are more omnidirectional at low frequencies, meaning bass waves radiate in all directions, causing a rumbling ruckus. Bass waves radiate backward from your speakers, toward the wall in front of you… and when they hit the wall, they reflect.

When the reflected sound wave bouncing off your wall combines with the source sound wave coming from your speaker, it creates acoustic interference.

If your speaker is one quarter wavelength from the wall for a certain frequency, wave cancellation occurs at that frequency. This causes a horrid dip, notch or null in the frequency response. "

One option for the remedy for this type of boundary interference according to this article is to put your speakers as close to the front wall as possible.

"Option 2: Place speakers as close as possible to the front wall (where flush mounting is the ideal)

Even if you can’t flush mount your monitors, you can still take advantage of proximity to the wall behind the speaker.

This is your second best choice for studio monitor placement. It’s what I generally recommend for home studio setups that use nearfield monitors (unless you’re using very small* speakers).

As you move your speakers closer to the wall, the cancellation notch in your frequency response moves to higher frequencies.

That’s great news because higher frequencies are more directional (they radiate less energy backward)"

So in essence, what I gather is that moving my speakers closer to the front wall results in the low frequency wave being not being affected by the reflection off the front wall thus not cancelling out the direct wave coming from the speaker and causing a dip or cancellation.

I do know that when I placed my speakers very close to the front wall, my bass response where I sit is much better. There was a noticeable dip or drop out before. So apparently the advice given by this particular article does work, at least in my listening area.

Of course...I might be sitting around, sucking down a few gin and tonics, and just listening to the music. And if it sounds great and moves me, it doesn't matter where the speakers are or what the "standing waves" are doing : )

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Aug 2019 02:00

Are you referring to the Allison article on room boundary effects, from the 70? That would be the best article on the topic.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Aug 2019 02:21

lenjack wrote:
25 Aug 2019 02:00
Are you referring to the Allison article on room boundary effects, from the 70? That would be the best article on the topic.
This was the article.....but I will have to check out the article you are referring to as well.

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker- ... erference/

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Aug 2019 03:07

I found it for you.

R.F. Allison, "The Influence of Room Boundaries on Loudspeaker Power Output," J. Audio Eng. Soc., May 7, 1974

It specifically covers interaction with all three room dimensions. A great read, and I think, too often neglected.
It was also reprinted in simpler form in either Audio, or Stereo Review.:) 8)

Gerawood1988
United States of America

Post by Gerawood1988 » 12 Dec 2019 14:13

I'm wanting to buy the Yamaha studio monitors, and in the article, it states clearly that speaker placement can easily be achieved. But I'm still unsure, check the article out! studio monitors. Any advice would really help