My Quest For A Pretty Specific Amplifier

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
digthispig222
United States of America

My Quest For A Pretty Specific Amplifier

Post by digthispig222 » 30 Nov 2019 18:23

Hello everyone. Recently I found 2 sets of passive speakers that I would like to test. The only problem is that I have nothing to easily drive them with. Sure I can jerry-rig somethinf with stuff I already have, but that would be a bulky mess. My requirements is that it must be relatively small, use red and white RCA jacks for the speaker out (the speakers I mentioned earlier use RCA to connect to a stereo system), and must be inexpensive but still of decent quality. Can you buy anything like this brand new, or do I need to go second hand? Does anybody have any ideas?

Melton Glass
United States of America

Re: My Quest For A Pretty Specific Amplifier

Post by Melton Glass » 30 Nov 2019 20:51

This is as good a place as any for my first post. 😊

Realistic made a few small amps with rca speaker outs. There are a couple of SA-102s on the bay now, looks like $39.99 is the going rate.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 30 Nov 2019 20:59

Why not just change the terminals to suit? Just cut off those RCAs and replace with what ever terminal type your amp has

If you MUST keep the RCA connectors (wrong terminal type for the purpose but, hey, whatever) its a simple task to make (or buy) adapters to match from the amp to the RCAs

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 30 Nov 2019 21:36

aardvarkash10 wrote:
30 Nov 2019 20:59
Why not just change the terminals to suit? Just cut off those RCAs and replace with what ever terminal type your amp has

If you MUST keep the RCA connectors (wrong terminal type for the purpose but, hey, whatever) its a simple task to make (or buy) adapters to match from the amp to the RCAs
Eh, maybe you're right. Unless I find one of those Realistic amplifiers as mentioned above, I guess I can just adapt it to use speaker wire or banana plugs so I can use it with just about anything.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 01 Dec 2019 02:36

Check Parts Express, some of their imported mini amps might have RCAs. They certainly are in your price range

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 01 Dec 2019 03:23

No need to buy a new amp just to test those speakers. As already mentioned, just rig something up. I've had to do this before, and simply added an RCA plug to one end of normal speaker cable. X2

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 01 Dec 2019 03:58

jdjohn wrote:
01 Dec 2019 03:23
No need to buy a new amp just to test those speakers. As already mentioned, just rig something up. I've had to do this before, and simply added an RCA plug to one end of normal speaker cable. X2
I know, but I'd like to "downsize," so to speak, to some degree. Lugging out my Technics SA-210 receiver just to test some speakers is quite cumbersome.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 01 Dec 2019 04:42

I hear ya. I've been in the same situation, and eventually purchased a PS Audio Sprout for testing purposes. It has a phonostage as well, so good for testing turntables, too.

They aren't exactly cheap, but the older original versions have come down in price on the used market ever since the newer model came out. They have a onboard DAC and also Bluetooth, which can be quite handy.

I should add there are several little Class-T amps on the market. Check Amazon for ones made by Topping.