Electrolytic Capacitor choice?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
perchman

Electrolytic Capacitor choice?

Post by perchman » 14 Nov 2019 19:04

Hi all

Im about to recamp my Myst TMA amp along with some other mods and wondered about replacement caps?
The Nippon caps have never been replaced so was thinking about replacing with the Standard Audio Note caps, any thoughts or suggestions?
Dont want to spend a fortune.

TIA
Andy

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Re: Electrolytic Capacitor choice?

Post by aardvarkash10 » 14 Nov 2019 19:32

panasonics. Mouser has them by the truckload.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 15 Nov 2019 07:10

Hello,
Any of the most Japanese reputable brands : Panasonic, Nichicon, .... Go to Farnell, Mouser, Digikey .... And buy the cap that is most resistant to temperature (105°C) and the longest life 10 000 hours...
Frankly, I wonder if this will have any effect on sound. I still have to have a suitable technical demonstration for this.

Athermos
India

Post by Athermos » 15 Nov 2019 09:37

Adding Nippon Chemi-Con to the list.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Nov 2019 10:03

georgesgiralt wrote:
15 Nov 2019 07:10
Hello,
Any of the most Japanese reputable brands : Panasonic, Nichicon, .... Go to Farnell, Mouser, Digikey .... And buy the cap that is most resistant to temperature (105°C) and the longest life 10 000 hours...
Frankly, I wonder if this will have any effect on sound. I still have to have a suitable technical demonstration for this.
Just to add Elna Silmic II to the list. Besides the Panasonic and Nichicon mentioned above, they also used some of the Elna caps in my recent Marantz 2238B restore. Also using the 105C caps as mentioned in areas subject to high temperatures is a good idea.

perchman

Post by perchman » 15 Nov 2019 15:57

Athermos wrote:
15 Nov 2019 09:37
Adding Nippon Chemi-Con to the list.
Its already fitter with the Nippons but theyre over 30 years old now.

perchman

Post by perchman » 15 Nov 2019 15:58

Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Nov 2019 10:03
georgesgiralt wrote:
Hello,
Just to add Elna Silmic II to the list. Besides the Panasonic and Nichicon mentioned above, they also used some of the Elna caps in my recent Marantz 2238B restore. Also using the 105C caps as mentioned in areas subject to high temperatures is a good idea.
Yes - i have looked at the Elna Silmic but theyre a bit taller than whats installed and will come very close to the top of the casing

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 15 Nov 2019 18:27

georgesgiralt wrote:
Indeed, in receivers/amps, most caps are in the power supply chain instead of directly in the actual audio signal chain, so don't go too crazy with big $ ones.

Now in speaker crossover networks, better caps can make a real difference.

perchman

Post by perchman » 16 Nov 2019 07:42

jdjohn wrote:
15 Nov 2019 18:27
georgesgiralt wrote:
Indeed, in receivers/amps, most caps are in the power supply chain instead of directly in the actual audio signal chain, so don't go too crazy with big $ ones.

Now in speaker crossover networks, better caps can make a real difference.
Agreed. In all honesty, im not looking for any particular improvement in sound just looking to keep the amp running. Done plenty of speaker crossovers in the past and also fond thats definitely a place to spend a little more. :)

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 16 Nov 2019 09:14

I wonder also if the electrolytic caps in the signal path make any difference. In crossover networks, I replaced caps just to find the old one had failed. This is what makes the sound difference.
In amplifier, a lot of designs of the 70's and the 80's used electrolytic caps i the signal path.
I played with a lot of different caps technology in one example just to find out. All the measurements I made and all the listening couldn't prove anything. IMHO, the listening difference comes from failed or failing capacitors. Subjected to mV instead of volts for a long period make them at best marginal. But here we are talking about age, not technology nor sound.
In the early days, engineers hare as best ears as we have. People at Marantz, Luxman, Quad, <insert your favorite make here>, were eager to produce the best sounding amplifier to blow the competition out of the water. If electrolytic caps were so baaaad for the sound, they would have used something else which by then was available.
This is just my morning rant. Where is my coffee ??? But you can spend your money as you want and do whatever you choose to your amplifier.

perchman

Post by perchman » 17 Nov 2019 13:38

georgesgiralt wrote:
16 Nov 2019 09:14
I wonder also if the electrolytic caps in the signal path make any difference. In crossover networks, I replaced caps just to find the old one had failed. This is what makes the sound difference.
In amplifier, a lot of designs of the 70's and the 80's used electrolytic caps i the signal path.
I played with a lot of different caps technology in one example just to find out. All the measurements I made and all the listening couldn't prove anything. IMHO, the listening difference comes from failed or failing capacitors. Subjected to mV instead of volts for a long period make them at best marginal. But here we are talking about age, not technology nor sound.
In the early days, engineers hare as best ears as we have. People at Marantz, Luxman, Quad, <insert your favorite make here>, were eager to produce the best sounding amplifier to blow the competition out of the water. If electrolytic caps were so baaaad for the sound, they would have used something else which by then was available.
This is just my morning rant. Where is my coffee ??? But you can spend your money as you want and do whatever you choose to your amplifier.
Fair comments which i would agree with George and i think its the breakdown of the caps that starts to affect the sound. I have noticed an increase in the background noise on the Phono stage over the last few years and there are a couple of caps in the signal path so for the cost, i figure i might as well replace them whilst undertaking some other mods :)