Tech help Awful Noise Amp or Speakers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
rommerman

Tech help Awful Noise Amp or Speakers

Post by rommerman » 13 Nov 2019 19:22

Hi Guys and Gals,

Well, I need some advice, any would be appreciated, especially if it stops me from spending money on the wrong gear. I have a fairly basic set up and for the last 15 years, I have used a Musical Fidelity A5, Bronze 6 Monitor Audio Speakers, a CS5000 record deck and a Denon CD player. This has worked well until yesterday when I decided to change the tracking force on the cartridge, which I did then continued to play a record.

Suddenly from the right-hand speaker, I got a sound like a hoover craft taking off and a VERY LOUD high-frequency tone. I turned everything off and changed the turntable cartridge as I suspect that was to fault. I played another record and it was fine. Turned it over and suddenly a defining high pitch tone cutting through the music and I mean loud! And again from the right speaker. In fact its so loud and overpowering I hardly dare turn the thing on again. So here's the questions.

1. Could it be the turntable has gone bad?
2. Does a blown speaker do this?
3. Is the amp to blame?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I did speak to someone today who suggested that it was unlikely that the speaker could do this as the amp that powers it would be to blame....?

Any help most welcome

Kit :D

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Tech help Awful Noise Amp or Speakers

Post by lenjack » 14 Nov 2019 01:16

I think you disturbed or disconnected something when you altered the tracking force. Have you changed the tracking force on this turntable before? What change were you attempting to make, from what old to what new tracking force?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 14 Nov 2019 03:03

Hello.....not likely that anything concerning the turntable is to blame, especially since you tried another cartridge with good results afterward. Speaker is suspect from the start, going by your description of the sounds, though it is possible electronic components inside the amplifier could do the same. The simplest methodology is to swap in/out replacement speakers to confirm or eliminate that possibility. Likewise, the speaker test being done, I would try to substitute a different amplifier to verify whether or not that is the culprit, and to confirm the status of your speakers and turntable. A bit time consuming, but costing nothing to gain insight to the status of each system component. Again, I suspect a speaker issue.......good luck! [-o<

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 14 Nov 2019 03:43

Kit,

If the fault is repeatable, then swap a set of leads over somewhere. I'd suggest starting by swapping the speaker cables over so the left speaker is connected to right channel of the A5, right speaker to the left channel: If the sound is now on then left it's the amp or something upstream of it, if it stays on the right it's the speaker.

You can then swap them back and change the cables leading into the amp: if the noise is on the right it's the amp or speakers, if it's on the left it's the turntable or cartridge.

I doubt it's the speaker as they don't have any active elements that are capable of generating sound, if speakers fail they tend to go quiet not noisy, although it is just about possible for them to make an amp unstable. My best guess is a dodgy connection somewhere; maybe internally to a component.

The simplest check you can start with is whether you get the noise when using your CD player; if you do it's likely to be something in your A5 or a speaker. If you don't, it's most likely the turntable, but could be the phono stage in the A5; left/right channel swapping as I've described above would then help isolate the fault.

I hope that helps a little.

Steph

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Nov 2019 04:38

It is highly unlikely that a passive speaker will generate noise.

Cheers,
Alec

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Nov 2019 20:13

Agree that trying a different source such as a cd is indicated.

rommerman

Post by rommerman » 17 Nov 2019 10:20

So here's the conclusion folks!

After much thinking (at least 5 minutes...) I decided that the solution would be to send the amp off for inspection or buy another. Sending it off made sense but I then thought about the advantages of trying something new, I have loved the A5 but at the same time I have never been truly convinced that it works well in a small room with my speakers etc.. So if I went new it would at least tell me if the amp was the problem or the speakers or the cs5000. So, I ended up buying an Arcam SA20 from Richer Sounds and I can now tell you all. It WAS the amp. So, the A5 is now in a cupboard upstairs and I may fix it as it would be worth it. I am pleased with the Arcam as at only 80 (compared to the A5 at 250) it is more than adequate. It also handles Bass very well and is loaded with features I will never use, but hey, I'm happy. Thanks for all your replies and happy spinning.