tube change interval

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
PioneerFan

Re: tube change interval

Post by PioneerFan » 15 Nov 2019 17:33

This concept really did not exist before the Internet. The same with record cleaning, fretting over stacking audio components, and changing every capacitor in sight. What does this say about the Internet?

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 15 Nov 2019 22:25

PioneerFan wrote:
15 Nov 2019 17:33
This concept really did not exist before the Internet. The same with record cleaning, fretting over stacking audio components, and changing every capacitor in sight. What does this say about the Internet?
You make a good point. The internet is like most anything that humans get their hands on. It can be used for very good things, very bad things and everything in between.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 16 Nov 2019 09:24

Just a story about Internet ....
Some years ago, our main computer CRT screen failed. At that time, my wife used it a lot for image work. So it was important to us but we where a little broke.
I set of an iiyama CRT and searched the internet for advice about that exact model. And took notes.
I found a exactly equal number of people saying it was absolute crap and that they asked their money back and the same number of people stating it was marvelous and the best screen they ever had. .....
I bought it. It was absolutely perfect. A very good screen all over. And it is still running, even if not used much these days.
So Internet advice .... is to be taken with a big pinch of salt ...

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Nov 2019 15:17

georgesgiralt wrote:
16 Nov 2019 09:24
So Internet advice .... is to be taken with a big pinch of salt ...
Absolutely. And it's always been that way basically. That's what education and critical thinking are all about. From the days of false prophet's, charismatic's, snake oil salesmen, to the tabloid newspapers, radio and tv personalities. Now the internet, with so much to sift through. Still the same game. Whats the ulterior motive. Where's the money.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Nov 2019 17:53

Money talks...

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Nov 2019 20:27

lenjack wrote:
16 Nov 2019 17:53
Money talks...
Yup. And you know the rest. Bull S**t walks. That's why you look where the money came.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Nov 2019 20:58

Yes, I knew that, but I'm far too polite, to resort to such hooligan language, in such a refined theater such as this. [-X :roll: :oops: :P :?

turbospeed

Post by turbospeed » 16 Nov 2019 21:44

Hi, by restoring very old 1950 and up recording studio amplifiers, mainly Ampex, Berlant and Telefunken open-reel professional tape recorders (tube based) I found that many of these decades old tubes were still good in their circuits. Having measured their values with a professional tube tester giving true curves like in the data books, of course they have different results like you get also on old NOS tubes and even when you buy current tubes. This is normal and of course dependent on the circuit you may get different harmonic tone spectra and thus perhaps slightly different sound. But you will get this also when exchanging your tubes with new ones. And, you can never tell what sound you will get in advance. Therefore my suggestion is to keep PREAMP tubes as long as possible when the sound quality satifies. That´s what I do. BUT for power tubes this is not advisable. There periodic tests for tubes parameters should be made because these tubes wear out in time.

meesterlp

Post by meesterlp » 16 Nov 2019 21:53

Who knew Paul M. was a failed auto mechanic in his previous life? Guess don't test? Come on Man!

poutrew
United States of America

Post by poutrew » 18 Nov 2019 03:41

I am curious: What do you do with all those old tubes? They still work, so it would be wasteful to just toss them. I used to have a burnt out 20 Kw tube from the final amp of a commercial radio station's transmitter. Even burnt out, it was a thing of beauty, and, it was a beast - almost a foot tall...

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 18 Nov 2019 06:31

poutrew wrote:
18 Nov 2019 03:41
I am curious: What do you do with all those old tubes? They still work, so it would be wasteful to just toss them. I used to have a burnt out 20 Kw tube from the final amp of a commercial radio station's transmitter. Even burnt out, it was a thing of beauty, and, it was a beast - almost a foot tall...
If you were an unscrupulous audio expert you would probably sell them at 350% mark-up as "carefully burnt-in under the close watch of our resident expert engineer." They will queue up and throw money at you.