Pioneer SX-737

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Njk570
United States of America

Pioneer SX-737

Post by Njk570 » 09 Nov 2019 21:23

Hey all. Newbie here. As i said on my first post a couple days ago I traded a gaming PC for a Rega Planar 2, ELAC B6 Speakers and a Onkyo TX2020 Receiver. The Onkyo sounded ok with the set up but i couldn't stand the aesthetics of it. So i came across a Pioneer SX-737 on eBay for $140. The guy said he acquired it from an estate sale and aside from cleaning the outside of it, he never used it. I just received it today, and hooked everything up and all i have to say is WOW. Night and Day difference from the Onkyo. It sounds absolutely incredible. BUT.....The insides of the thing are extremely dirty and cruddy. Also it has this OLD electrical smell when its been running for a bit. Im assuming thats just how they smell?

My question to you is do I try to clean the thing myself with some sort of spray or do i take it to a professional?
Will cleaning it further increase the quality of the sound?
And should i be concerned with the old electrical smell and it getting warm after playing a bit?

Thank you all for your feedback :D

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pioneer SX-737

Post by musicmn » 09 Nov 2019 23:11

Hi, the sx 737 is a great pioneer receiver very underrated I've owned one for ten years now and listen to it almost daily. Mine did need a rebuild a couple of years ago due to a clicking and popping sound coming through the speakers when the phono was being used. It turned out to be a bunch of bad resistors that needed replacing and up grading. Most likely what your smelling when the receiver is warm is all the dust and dirt inside the unit. Cleaning it wont help the sound but it will help the receiver run cooler. And helping these older receivers run cooler will keep then running longer. There are circuit board cleaning solutions available but they can be expensive and some leave a residue behind that can also smell when the receiver is warm. All I usually due is take a can of compressed air and a long bristle artist brush to clean all the dust and dirt off of the boards. With the top off stand the receiver on its side transformer down leaning the receiver against something to keep it from falling over. Then starting at the top blow the dust out while gently brushing in between the components on the boards. If you have a round bristle brush use that to get down inside the fins of the heat sink while you blow them out. This should help to eliminate what you have been smelling when the receiver gets warm. If the weather allows in your area due this type of cleaning outside or in a garage and wear a dust mask if you need to. The compressed air will blow the dust and crud everywhere. If you want to go farther than you can clean all of the controls with a good contact cleaner. Its been awhile since I cleaned the controls on my receiver and I can't remember if the face plate needs to come off to clean the controls properly. All the knobs and the face plate can be cleaned with a gentle cleaning solution something like simple green works well and wont damage anything. If you have another gentle cleaner available then use that. I hope this helps and the longer you own this receiver the more you will come to enjoy it.

Brewman2
United States of America

Re: Pioneer SX-737

Post by Brewman2 » 18 Nov 2019 22:18

Done! Pioneer SX-980
Attachments
20191117_110424.jpg
(213.74 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
20191117_110424.jpg
(213.74 KiB) Downloaded 22 times