Sherwood Receivers- Am I crazy?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
PioneerFan

Re: Sherwood Receivers- Am I crazy?

Post by PioneerFan » 02 Dec 2019 17:48

Absolutely loving these receivers. Vintage low powered sets are like the best kept secrets in this hobby. Match them up with efficient speakers, and they will truly sing!

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 25 Dec 2019 16:02

PioneerFan wrote:
05 Nov 2019 15:25
rewfew wrote:
05 Nov 2019 15:20
You might be. The retro lure could be daunting for a novice, knowing if your getting something worth the time, effort and expense. If you live in a metro area that may have a vintage equipment shop they repair and service and sell, you could get some advice and maybe listen. A small watt tube amp could drive a floor standing speaker, if it is efficient enough and has an impedance load not too wonky and of at least 8 ohm. Of note about that warm tube sound. Mainly derived from the output transformer interaction than the tubes themselves. I understand your bedazzlement.
I do not consider myself a "novice", as I have a complete silver era Pioneer system. And my 1st job out of college was selling audio gear at a regional big box store.

Back in the day, Sherwood was considered "underpowered junk". But now, when I read about the spectacular FM performance, and the "warm" audio the early receivers produced (tube AND solid state), well, I would love to match one up with some efficient bookshelves, and, tune away.
The original Sherwood company in Chicago, before they sold out to Inkel of Korea, made very excellent equipment in the USA through the early Japanese era. A completely different company to the Sherwood you sold in that era.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 26 Dec 2019 14:17

KentT wrote:
25 Dec 2019 16:02
PioneerFan wrote:
05 Nov 2019 15:25
rewfew wrote:
05 Nov 2019 15:20
You might be. The retro lure could be daunting for a novice, knowing if your getting something worth the time, effort and expense. If you live in a metro area that may have a vintage equipment shop they repair and service and sell, you could get some advice and maybe listen. A small watt tube amp could drive a floor standing speaker, if it is efficient enough and has an impedance load not too wonky and of at least 8 ohm. Of note about that warm tube sound. Mainly derived from the output transformer interaction than the tubes themselves. I understand your bedazzlement.
I do not consider myself a "novice", as I have a complete silver era Pioneer system. And my 1st job out of college was selling audio gear at a regional big box store.

Back in the day, Sherwood was considered "underpowered junk". But now, when I read about the spectacular FM performance, and the "warm" audio the early receivers produced (tube AND solid state), well, I would love to match one up with some efficient bookshelves, and, tune away.
The original Sherwood company in Chicago, before they sold out to Inkel of Korea, made very excellent equipment in the USA through the early Japanese era. A completely different company to the Sherwood you sold in that era.
I understand this.

The Japanese era stuff, based on my experience now with the S-7010, has been superb.

Ripvanvinyl
Canada

Post by Ripvanvinyl » 26 Dec 2019 16:24

Well, lots of good on Sherwood and its history here. Thanks. Did we get a definitive opinion on whether the OP is crazy?

:P

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 26 Dec 2019 16:38

Ripvanvinyl wrote:
26 Dec 2019 16:24
Well, lots of good on Sherwood and its history here. Thanks. Did we get a definitive opinion on whether the OP is crazy?

:P
None needed, he is.

Seriously, my modest little S-7010 is a lot of fun.