Tannoy Revolution XT 6F, any good?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Woodbrains
England

Tannoy Revolution XT 6F, any good?

Post by Woodbrains » 28 Dec 2018 23:49

Hello,

Are the above speakers a reasonable buy? Is anyone familiar with or owners of these that could comment.

My reason for asking is, I have never owned a pair of decent speakers; I have made my own. I have 2 sets, a floorstander pair, 3 way which was my first attempt and a standmount pair, 2 way with better quality drivers. Now I liked making them and I do enjoy listening to them, but I have nothing to compare my efforts with. I have no electrical testing equipment, save a multi meter, so fine tuning has all been done by ear. I still am not quite happy with the attenuation of the tweeters in my 3 way system; the treble is a tad sibilant. I think I need another ohm or so of resistor added. The only commercial speakers I have heard on my system were Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's for an hour or so. These are not exactly high end, and I concluded that my standmount speakers were a bit better.

Anyhow, I might be able to obtain a set of the above at half retail price. They normally retail for about £1000 and get good reviews from the Hi Fi mags. Does anyone think these would give me a reasonable idea of what sound I should be expecting, or would I need to go much more upmarket? I can't do that, funds do not allow, so I shall remain blissfully in the dark! My system has largely been built up from used vintage gear, with a few recent new bits, but even at the sale price, these would be the biggest outlay by far. Alternatively, I could get something used, but I have no clue what would be decent.

The rest of my gear is; Pioneer A400 and A676 amps, Pioneer SA 505 Precision CD, Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2i, Cambridge Audio 640p phono stage, Little Bear T11 phono stage, Rega Planar2, and a homebrewed table based upon a Pioneer DD mechanism with a moded Rega RB 251arm.

Mike.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Re: Tannoy Revolution XT 6F, any good?

Post by bra10n » 29 Dec 2018 00:27

Hi WB,

I think I read your a competent wood worker elsewhere on VE. If I'm right your best bang for buck is to DIY your own cabinets and to use a tried and tested kit. These kit packages will save you on the cost of buying individual components as well. My advice, (and we've been here before IIRC ;)) is to nut out what kind of sound you prefer. Most will want bass extension and clear forward mids. You might too , or you might want something else. Take room and dimensions into account also.

On a side issue your DIY efforts to date won't be wasted either. They, as a sound you are by now familiar with, will serve to point out where they might be lacking (if at all) if you move them around (placement) and to another room as well if possible. You might end up tidying them up some at the end, but in the meantime these should be viewed as invaluable tools toward selection.

HTH,

D

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 29 Dec 2018 00:35

bra10n wrote:
29 Dec 2018 00:27
Hi WB,

I think I read your a competent wood worker elsewhere on VE. If I'm right your best bang for buck is to DIY your own cabinets and to use a tried and tested kit. These kit packages will save you on the cost of buying individual components as well. My advice, (and we've been here before IIRC ;)) is to nut out what kind of sound you prefer. Most will want bass extension and clear forward mids. You might too , or you might want something else. Take room and dimensions into account also.

On a side issue your DIY efforts to date won't be wasted either. They, as a sound you are by now familiar with, will serve to point out where they might be lacking (if at all) if you move them around (placement) and to another room as well if possible. You might end up tidying them up some at the end, but in the meantime these should be viewed as invaluable tools toward selection.

HTH,

D
Hello,

Yes, you are right, I should look for a good kit. I did look at Wilmslow audio a few year back when I was researching self building and in fact used some of their mylar capacitors in my first build. I might revisit the idea of finding a tried and true kit, it will be better bang for the buck.

Mike.

aleckie

Post by aleckie » 29 Dec 2018 00:46

I picked up a pair about a month ago for £499, probably the same deal. I'm no expert but I am delighted with them after 3 weeks of breaking them in. Very detailed sound with the dual concentric tweeter. Bass is well controlled. I upgraded from a 20 year old pair of Tannoy revolution R2's. I'm no way a speaker expert but I do like my music, these have hardly been off since I got them. Hearing loads of detail that I've never heard before.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 29 Dec 2018 05:42

Re kits let's start here then;

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery.htm

B.O.M http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content ... prices.pdf

Let's see what you think of these.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 29 Dec 2018 12:28

Hello,

Thanks for the responses so far. The Tannoy speakers are still tempting, they will likely sound better than anything I have head before, unless of course I have done a good job with my homemade sets! They did get a What Hi Fi award for the best speakers in the £1000 to £2000 category, so, with all pinches of salt at the ready, they seem a good deal for 500.

The kit bra10n has linked me to do interest me considerably, though. I like the aesthetic, though I would probably veneer them and I made my standmount set with a stepped back baffle for the tweeter, so the cones were more or less firing from the same plane. I like it! Unfortunately, the kit and the materials would make the build at the full cost of the Tannoys, which I couldn't stretch to at the moment. Logic says that kits should build much superior speakers, however. The Tannoys have nicely veneered boxes, and I know too well that even in a production environment, the cases will actually cost more to produce than the drivers and crossovers. Spending 80% on the components, as per the kit, will clearly yield better loudspeakers, so I should really save up and look to get something like these.

Incidentally, I was prompted to fiddle with my floorstander, and added an extra ohm of attenuation to the tweeters, with the associated shunts. I think I have cracked it, the sibilance is pretty much gone, though I'm literally just giving them a first listen now. This will help a lot with turntable set up, as you can't cure distortion, if it is there at all, if the speakers are hissing a bit.

https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/wa-tl3-2287-p.asp

I was looking at this kit, which I could afford. Any comments on these, there are no schematics unfortunately, but transmission line cabinet seems interesting. I don't know if they use supercaps in the crossovers, their higher end kits do, they are very good. I guess I could upgrade if they don't for a few more pounds.

Mike.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 29 Dec 2018 21:35

You need to do your homework Mike.

I looked as far as the cost of drivers used in WA-TL3.
The Vifa tweeter, now Peerless D27TG35-06, 1" Dome is £20.47
The Monacor SPH-175 is £42.65.

So I'm not sure how they get £390.00 for their kit. What else is required? 2 x caps, 2 x inductors, say 50 quid. Otherwise binding posts, wire, fill... at the most £110-120 :lol:

In terms of the kit I posted the WA-TL3 is quite simply not in the same league.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 30 Dec 2018 00:03

bra10n wrote:
29 Dec 2018 21:35
You need to do your homework Mike.

I looked as far as the cost of drivers used in WA-TL3.
The Vifa tweeter, now Peerless D27TG35-06, 1" Dome is £20.47
The Monacor SPH-175 is £42.65.

So I'm not sure how they get £390.00 for their kit. What else is required? 2 x caps, 2 x inductors, say 50 quid. Otherwise binding posts, wire, fill... at the most £110-120 :lol:

In terms of the kit I posted the WA-TL3 is quite simply not in the same league.
Hello,

The superiority of the kit you linked is clear to me, I fully understand that.

The drivers in the kit I linked are not the best, I know. The drivers do add up to some £200 though, I did do my sums! I used Monacor drivers in my standmount build, though higher spec than the ones for this transmission line. Kevlar cone with die cast frame and phase plugs, quite nice. They were on special offer at the time, and were quite affordable; not so much now. I hope I have done them justice, but who knows?

Thanks again for the link, I will do some saving up! :lol:

Mike.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 30 Dec 2018 03:33

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 30 Dec 2018 18:07

bra10n wrote:
30 Dec 2018 03:33
Oh, but wait... there's more :lol:

http://www.eraudio.com.au/505_Mini_Pane ... anels.html
Hello,

Electrostatics are interesting, but I think I'll pass. Besides, they have problems with some amps, though I suppose if they had bass drivers as well, it may work better. But still, conventional drivers would be preferable. They would give a sound that I could relate to better, and perhaps be able to tune my speakers from what I will hear.

I have been investigating kits, though I don't know any better on how good they sound, compared to mine, or the Tannoys I mention. Any thoughts on these...

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/speaker- ... tct=pol_13

Mike.

unclefz
England

Post by unclefz » 31 Dec 2018 11:23

Hello Woodbrains,
I see Richer sounds are selling XT 6F’s but probably at a higher price than you are quoting.
However, they usually price match so that is a possibility.
Richer sounds will often let you demo and if you push they are likely to let you demo at home too. Would probably need to pay for them on sale or return basis though.
At least that way you would get to hear them with your kit in your room.
Good luck whichever way you ‘jump’ :-)

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 31 Dec 2018 13:01

Hello,

Thanks, I will check them out.

Mike.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 01 Jan 2019 10:25

Hi Mike,

I might have found a design that fits your current situation.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinit ... sunflowers

Dayton drivers won't set you back much and are decent quality and the cabinet allows you some licence to build this to suit your own tastes. Paul Carmody is also well respected for his designs.

HTH

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 01 Jan 2019 12:59

bra10n wrote:
01 Jan 2019 10:25
Hi Mike,

I might have found a design that fits your current situation.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinit ... sunflowers

Dayton drivers won't set you back much and are decent quality and the cabinet allows you some licence to build this to suit your own tastes. Paul Carmody is also well respected for his designs.

HTH
Hello,

Thanks for your efforts looking for these for me. These di-poles look very interesting indeed. In fact I love them, very unusual from the normal bass reflex box. The image of 'Mirage' speakers that is in the link you posted look absolutely beautiful. Making the 'sunflower' design looking something like these would be great. I have found a supplier in for the drivers on this side of the world, I will do some sums for the cost of a set of these, the drivers door look very good value.

Happy new year,

All the best,

Mike.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 01 Jan 2019 20:22

I'm glad you like them. They offer you the benefits of a lower cost build for now (mainly xo components) which can be bettered at a later date if required. You have the xo schematic as a foundation and a starting point if they ever need repair/modification in the future.

Keep an eye out for sales of these drivers... being popular in DIY circles they often go on sale/group buys etc.

Good luck and Happy New year to you.

D