Poll - Ground Issues?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

How may hifi components have you bypassed the ground?

Poll ended at 04 Apr 2018 23:40

1. 1 component
100%
2. 2 components
No votes
3. 2 or more components
No votes

Total votes: 1

UsableThought
United States of America

Re: Poll - Ground Issues?

Post by UsableThought » 08 Dec 2019 18:46

British Raj wrote:
08 Dec 2019 18:44
My knowledgeable friend convinced me that the hum I was concerned about from the chassis (with no speakers connected) was quite normal. He switched on some other amps he had and showed me that it was the same in all of them.
Yes, exactly. Well anyway, enjoy!

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Dec 2019 19:15

I would be in the non-existing Zero category. My father in law is a retired electrician, and would cringe if I eliminated any grounds. The tripping of the GFCI indicates a much more serious problem than audible hum in the system. As many have mentioned, this indicates a problem that could potentially set fire to components or your home itself, if you don't electrocute yourself or someone else. Basics of electrical wire attachment, cable running (crosses v.s. parallel for example) and such, although tedious and demanding attention to detail, along with use of appropriate grounding wires and techniques will eventually eliminate most if not all "not normal" hum conditions. Almost always a long exercise, but occasionally with a very simple and nearly obvious solution. Much preferred to smoke, fire or severe shock. Only one right way with electricity....it is very unforgiving and doesn't suffer fools at all. Some excellent advice and references here by the way. :shock:

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 09 Dec 2019 15:22

Update wise I am no longer using such cheater devices. In the intervening time period I have added more components to my system, eventually arriving at a point where I ran out of receptacle spaces. Consequently I added a receptacle expander on the wall outlet that includes a ground status indicator and plugged my existing power strip into it. This brought me 5 more plug positions.

I also took this opportunity to rearrange components to better accommodate recent additions. Ending up in power cords moving around a lot. All this rejigging defeated the ground loop that existed prior. It also eliminated the peculiar GFIC trip behavior on connecting my TT ground wire (now connected :) ). While the cheater adaptors were effective it was a desperate ploy, feel more secure now with all cords returned to original state.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 09 Dec 2019 18:03

Legrace,
Canadian Electrical Code allows a max. of 1440 Watts of load on a single 14Ga (15A) wire circuit (80% of actual load of 1800W - 120V x15A = 1800) which usually translates into 7 recepetacles (each allowed 200W of load - but 500W for GFCI ones).
Make sure you don't overload you one circuit with all the additional items and calculate the max. load (if a breaker trips you'll know it)

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 09 Dec 2019 19:22

Ottermel wrote:
09 Dec 2019 18:03
Legrace,
Canadian Electrical Code allows a max. of 1440 Watts of load on a single 14Ga (15A) wire circuit ...Make sure you don't overload you one circuit with all the additional items and calculate the max. load (if a breaker trips you'll know it)
Meh

A turntable would draw under 50w normally, some far less. A pre-amp might draw about the same.
An FM tuner, CD/DVD player, tape, etc would all be under 100w total.
An amp MIGHT draw a lot more - big tube amps can get into the 750W area. A solid state amp (unless its a big Class A unit) might do 200 - 250w when its wound up.
Big screen LCD TV might use 250 - 350W (65 inch)

Since you would very rarely use all the units together, the worst case is power amp, TV screen and DVD.

https://www.rpc.com.au/information/faq/ ... nment.html

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 11 Dec 2019 14:04

Don't forget he's running VTA M-125 monoblocks!