the home of the turntable

Michell Technoweight users...

a space odyssey

Michell Technoweight users...

Postby car67 » 03 Sep 2006 10:01

...have you found that the tracking force markings on this tends to become more inaccurate the higher up the range you go?

For instance 20 markings should = 2.0g but the reading on the Shure SFG-2 says it's 2.2g and the Ortofon gauge gives about the same reading as the Shure. So I'm guessing that the Technoweight markings are under-reporting a little.

Anyone else come across the same thing?

2.2g was the weight I was actually trying to dial-in so that wasn't a concern but the 10% error seems a bit high.

cheers
Jack
car67

Postby JaS » 03 Sep 2006 11:25

Hmmmm, 10% is a bit wide of the mark. I don't have a Tecnoweight anymore but the one I had seemed fairly accurate when I tested it with my electronic scales. As I recall I checked it at several settings and it was close enough to my old Shure balance to be usable; I set VTF by ear anyway so any balance only needs to tell me I am within recommended limits. Of course the advantage of using a stylus balance rather than the scale is that it's accuracy isn't affected by the arm's balance point. If you set the vtf to 2g using the Shure, then back off the weight 5 divisions does it read 1.5g? Then if you back off another 15 divisions, does the arm balance correctly? If so then you could use your shure to calibrate the Michell initially, then the scale to make fine adjustments? If not then I guess you are stuck with using the stylus balance :?

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2006 17:28

Hi Car67, It`s a coincidence you posting this today, i had read about the technoweight in many reviews, some saying the VTF adjustment is quite accurate, others found it not so good.
This has played on my mind since i put it on the arm, and last night decided to buy a electronic scale quite cheaply (£12) on Ebay, to get to the bottom of the review findings, and get my vtf right.

You can Imagine my surprise on seeing your post this morning.
When the scale arrives monday i will let you know just how accurate the technoweight is, thats assuming the electronic scale can be trusted??

Postby bOUddha » 04 Sep 2006 00:22

My rudimentary understanding of physics tells me that the accuracy of the Michell Technoweight's adjuster is directly related to the weight of the cartridge and the corresponding difference in distance of the weight/adjuster from the verical bearing; i.e., an adjustment made 10 mm away from the pivot will have a greater effect on the balance than one 20 mm away.

In order to achieve perfect accuracy, there would have to be an adjustable adjuster, which would take this into account.

Treat those marks as a guideline only, and if you feel it necessary test with a scale.

Trust, but verify!

(ps, I love that technoweight).
bOUddha

Postby car67 » 04 Sep 2006 14:06

Hi guys,

JaS, I think I know what you mean and will give it a try. Curious - did you find something better than the technoweight?

JRC, look forward to your findings. :)

bOuddha, i'm hopeless at physics myself but I think understand what you're getting at! The thread of the stub would have to be variable or the markings would have to be differently spaced, neither of which I guess are possible given the nature of the design.

guys, I did find that it was much closer to the Shure at 1.0g and just seemed to get worse the higher up the scale it went.

cheers
Jack
car67

Postby JaS » 04 Sep 2006 17:09

car67 wrote:JaS, I think I know what you mean and will give it a try. Curious - did you find something better than the technoweight?

I got the new version of the OL weight to play with a while back and ended up using that instead. I'm not sure it's better than the Tecnoweight; both give a similar improvement over the standard weight on an RB250 but presentation differs slightly between the two. Considering the radically different designs, OL with its very rigid stub and chromed weight, and the Tecnoweight with its low slung stainless weight, you'd expect a difference, but in reality its pretty small. To be honest I'd be happy with either :roll:

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2006 12:14

Hi car67, Well my electronic scale turned up this morning, i have to say i`m impressed, excellent quality and accurate, a bargain at this price £12.99 ,these things used to cost a fortune not so long ago.
It seems you are correct the technoweight does under report, you were spot on, i had dialed in 1.7 grams for my Eroica, after calibrating the scale and setting the stylus down it gave a reading of 2 grams.
I decided to check it at lower settings and a dialed in 1g was in fact 1.1,and as you say it gets worse the further up the scale you go.
The bit i like best is that you can set the vtf to zero using the scale and then dial in to the force you want, goldring recommend a nominal vtf of 1.7g, i have been able to set it at this precisely, and the improvement is there to hear, i had been .03g over until this morning, i am very happy to have got these scales, and would recommend them, in fact i believe they are a "must have" piece of kit. :D

Postby car67 » 05 Sep 2006 13:17

Hi JRC,

Thanks for the report back! I'll keep the Shure handy now. :)

JaS, that OL weight lools very smart!

I only just put my rig back together after having the deck serviced and the arm rewired and it's all starting to sound very sweet. And I don't normally think of stuff like this but I thought the rewire started to sound a lot better after a few hours burn-in time! :wink:

cheers
Jack
car67

Postby bauzace50 » 05 Sep 2006 13:44

Hello,
The feature of a dial on the Tecno Weight, with the addition of an external scale is probably more convenient than the OL-modified RB-250 which I recently acquired. When doing fine adjustments on the OL, it gets increasingly difficult the closer you get to the desired setting. A dial-in feature seems easier than loosening the bolt and moving the counterweight along its shaft. One millimeter movement is excessive when one is almost at the target setting.
The Tecno Weight would seem more convenient, quite apart from considerations of sonic benefits. I don't know if Michel or OL have differences in sound, but the OL is slightly inconvenient for frequent cartridge changes.
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Postby JaS » 05 Sep 2006 14:23

bauzace50 wrote:the OL is slightly inconvenient for frequent cartridge changes.

I'll second that. It's annoying enough getting it right for one cartridge :roll:

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2006 17:25

Despite the inaccuracy of the vtf adjustment i believe the technoweight to be better option, for its ease of adjustment, after all if you are aware of the discrepancy you can make allowances to suit. and if you have a separate scale all the better.
I am at present listening to FM`s rumours, that 0.3 of a gram makes such a difference, i have heard this album hundreds of times, but i`m hearing little things that were never there before, its quite astonishing, what else have i been missing i wonder, i`m also playing records that i thought were past it and too noisy to play, they are playable now, and i`m happy :)

Postby bauzace50 » 05 Sep 2006 17:37

Hello,
There are at least three obvious changes when changing the tracking pressure setting: 1) VTA will change, because the cantilever's angle will change, 2) the change might move the cartridge in, or out, of its designed working parameters, affecting tracking ability and others, 3) the change will affect the need for antiskating force...a slightly heavy setting would probably obviate the need for added antiskating.
All of these are clearly illustrated in Michael Fremer's DVD for setting up turntables.
Saludos,
bauzace50
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Puerto Rico

Return to Michell