the home of the turntable

Hello all - looking for Michell Syncro advice

a space odyssey

Hello all - looking for Michell Syncro advice

Postby Niall76 » 17 Aug 2006 19:47

Hi everyone. Been looking here for a while and have decided to join in.

I'm a beginer at this and I've recently got hold of a Michell Syncro with RB250. It has a glass platter and the previous owner gave me a felt mat with it. Should the felt mat be used? or should I place the vinyl straight onto the platter?

I also have the Michell clamp, but if I use the felt I feel that it can't really grab enough of the spindle.

I'm sure I'll come up with many more questions in the future.
Niall76

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 17 Aug 2006 21:27

You'll probably find it sounds better with the felt mat. If it was me I'd try to get either an acrylic platter or even better a Funk Firm Achroplat. They're a drop in replacement for the glass Rega/Systemdek platters but I can't remember how thick the Syncro's platter is. Still, you've got yourself a fairly decent deck there and I'm fairly sure you could still go to Michell for spares should you need them.
What cart do you have BTW?

Welcome to the club!

JT
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Guest » 18 Aug 2006 09:51

Hi,

I've tried felt, an acrylic mat (homemade) and hard rubber on top of glass.

The hard rubber is the best IMO, it gives the clearest sound and best bass.

Also IMO replacing the platter is not cost effective, there are better
and far cheaper ways of tuning / improving turntable performance.

:)/sreten.

Hello All - Looking for Advice with Michell Syncro

Postby Blue Angel » 18 Aug 2006 10:13

Hi Niall

Yup, a nice deck which will give you some really good spins. I've still got mine which came with a green felt mat which looks like about 2.5mm thick. With the mat on, there is around 12.5mm of spindle visible and the glass platter is also about 12mm thick.

If you want to try a rubber mat, avoid the ringed variety - it should be smooth.

There's an Alphason Delta arm on mine. A fairly crude looking device and I would like to ask anyone how this would compare with say, a standard RB250 in good nick?

blue
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby Niall76 » 18 Aug 2006 10:24

Thanks for the replies, The mat I have sounds the same as you mention, green felt around 2.5mm thick.

I'm currently using a new Goldring Elektra cartridge. It's a budget option which was £30 but at the moment it's sounding way better than CD so I'm happy with it - no doubt I'll change it in the future
Niall76

michell synchro advice

Postby Guest » 18 Aug 2006 10:29

There is a mat you can buy that is intended for placing on workbenches etc to stop the workpiece slipping, its mat black and is constructed of 100`s of rubber air bubbles strung together,its kind of "see through".
Its tricky to cut into a circle but once done it makes a very good T/T mat.
I found it especialy good on glass platters that tend to "ring" and use one now on the acrylic platter i have.
You can buy one ready cut, somewhere ? but they are expensive, and the only difference is a little better finish to the outer edge where the bubbles have been cut through, they have been sealed possibly vulcanised, but it looks ok without this.
You can buy enough matting to make 4 for a couple of bucks. i will try and put a pic on the DIY gallery.

Re: Hello All - Looking for Advice with Michell Syncro

Postby Guest » 18 Aug 2006 13:48

Blue Angel wrote:Hi Niall

There's an Alphason Delta arm on mine. A fairly crude looking device and I would
like to ask anyone how this would compare with say, a standard RB250 in good nick?

blue

Hi,

I assume it similar to the Alphason Opal in the gallery ?

I'd expect it to equal or better an Linn LVX+.

The LVX+ compared to the Rega is a bit rougher in the treble
and less clean in the midrange but overall compared very well.
These were compared on tuned to the nines Systemdek IIX's.
The Rega was obviously better, but musically not that much in it.

I'd say you'd probably have to add the Michell Technoweight to
the RB250 (and rewiring wise add a least a seperate earth wire)
to make the RB250 a clear upgrade over your arm.

:)/sreten.

Return to Michell