JA Michell GyroDec upgrade problem

a space odyssey
dream

JA Michell GyroDec upgrade problem

Post by dream » 19 Apr 2004 15:33

I'm a half-year user of this TT. Days ago I found it's a AC motor. I also found on Michell's website they ship with DC motor now. Unfortunately, they did not answer my inquiring email about upgrades.

Anybody can suggest if I should try motor and platter upgrade? Where can I find a delaer who is willing to ship to Taiwan? There's no authorized dealer listed in Michell's website for Taiwan.

Thanks in advance

Minnium

Post by Minnium » 20 Apr 2004 21:42

You should contact Hifi News Accessories Club (check the web site) contact the boss Mike Harris or Walrus Hifi from London, they're friendly enough to possibly help you out. Or Origin Live they do a kit DC motor but you have to ask them for one that suit the platter size for speed. But DC motor's speed control by the value of the input voltage. So room for experiment here. You can get a high torque DC motor and a machinist to make a pulley that suits MIchell. Find out how do you work out the speed by maths between two diameters ( sorry I can't remenber now). Find any engineering book should cover this.
Sorry I don't know any Michell dealer in Asia.
I also have the same problem with enquiry about my VTA needs to machined a bit lower, but I got no reply either. I think they are too imfortant and unique to answer any questions. Please let me know.
Good luck.

dream

Post by dream » 25 Apr 2004 18:22

thank you, Minh'sFix