Michell Gyro SE : Upgrade tonearm or Cartridge?

a space odyssey
Magnus77

Michell Gyro SE : Upgrade tonearm or Cartridge?

Post by Magnus77 » 12 Nov 2018 14:11

Good afternoon folks!

I´m considering upgrading my setup. Currently I´m running my Gyro SE with Rega RB300 + Ortofon 2m blue.

I´m thinking about buying an Michell TecnoArm and (perhaps much) later on moving up the cartridge-ladder...

What do you guys think? Would you go for a better cartridge as your first choice or would you spend your pennies on a TecnoArm (vs the Rega 300)? :?

Dave W
England

Re: Michell Gyro SE : Upgrade tonearm or Cartridge?

Post by Dave W » 12 Nov 2018 21:37

I have recently upgraded my arm and cartridge on my Gyro SE. I have the RB303 arm and went to an Origin Live Onyx. I tried a Tecnoarm, and couldn’t really tell the difference with the RB303. But with the Oynx there was a definite improvement to my ears.

Magnus77

Post by Magnus77 » 12 Nov 2018 22:15

Thanks for your input! What would you prioritize the most between cartridge and tonearm with my current setup in mind?

Dave W
England

Post by Dave W » 13 Nov 2018 10:05

I would cartridge first and then arm. I was very pleased with my move from an AT120 to AT33 for a couple of years. Then the move to the arm and then a move to an Ortofon Black.

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 13 Nov 2018 11:57

Magnus77 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 14:11
Good afternoon folks!

I´m considering upgrading my setup. Currently I´m running my Gyro SE with Rega RB300 + Ortofon 2m blue.

I´m thinking about buying an Michell TecnoArm and (perhaps much) later on moving up the cartridge-ladder...

What do you guys think? Would you go for a better cartridge as your first choice or would you spend your pennies on a TecnoArm (vs the Rega 300)? :?
Nice to see a fellow countryman with a Gyro SE, the Michell's are not so very common over here in Sweden. :wink:

I would definitely go for a TechnoArm if I were you and then a bit later go for a new cart as the TechnoArm is a very nice platform for both MM and MC carts. I started of with a Rega RB300 10 years ago when I got my Gyro SE and I did get a TechnoArm after a year- it's a quite big difference soundwise between the RB300 and the TechnoArm IMHO. The Gyro sounded great with the RB300 and even better with the TechnoArm but it really revealed it's true potential when I finally got the SME IV. The Gyro SE is an excellent platform that's upgradable when it comes to tonearms and it sounds just great at all the different levels- at least that's what I've experienced.

Magnus77

Post by Magnus77 » 13 Nov 2018 15:58

Dave W wrote:
13 Nov 2018 10:05
I would cartridge first and then arm. I was very pleased with my move from an AT120 to AT33 for a couple of years. Then the move to the arm and then a move to an Ortofon Black.

Thanks! :)

Magnus77

Post by Magnus77 » 13 Nov 2018 16:05

GyroSE wrote:
13 Nov 2018 11:57
Magnus77 wrote:
Good afternoon folks!

Nice to see a fellow countryman with a Gyro SE, the Michell's are not so very common over here in Sweden. :wink:

I would definitely go for a TechnoArm if I were you and then a bit later go for a new cart as the TechnoArm is a very nice platform for both MM and MC carts. I started of with a Rega RB300 10 years ago when I got my Gyro SE and I did get a TechnoArm after a year- it's a quite big difference soundwise between the RB300 and the TechnoArm IMHO. The Gyro sounded great with the RB300 and even better with the TechnoArm but it really revealed it's true potential when I finally got the SME IV. The Gyro SE is an excellent platform that's upgradable when it comes to tonearms and it sounds just great at all the different levels- at least that's what I've experienced.
Hi there fellow countryman! :D
Many thanks for your thoughts - They seem to make perfect sense, I´m leaning towards your suggestion actually...But I´m not quite the impulsive archetype...so I´ll propably chew on this some more... :wink:

dinogyro

Post by dinogyro » 14 Nov 2018 14:28

Don't forget the Audiomods Series Five arm. I think much better made than the Technoarm.

sch-w1ng

Post by sch-w1ng » 18 Nov 2018 00:42

I managed to upgrade from the 303 tonearm straight to a SME V when the chance arose and haven't looked back since. No more wondering about tonearm upgrades ever again! I invested in the SME V before a major cart purchase as I thought I wouldn't be getting the full effect if the tonearm wasn't up to scratch.

Magnus77

Post by Magnus77 » 18 Nov 2018 01:14

SME V?! Well that seems like a leap forward...You lucky .......;-) Well I came to the very same conclusion (with some help and good input from this forum) so I’m now waiting for the TecnoArm to arrive! :D

Cartridge is the next upgrade...

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 20 Nov 2018 12:22

Magnus77 wrote:
Good afternoon folks!

Audionote Arm1 V2 It is blooming brilliant on a Gyrodec it really is- you think your Gyro can play a tune- put one of these bad boys on it- looks lovely too. :mrgreen:

Magnus77

Post by Magnus77 » 20 Nov 2018 15:41

Thanks for you advice! :)
However, a TecnoArm A is on it´s way from the dealer to my home as we speak! :)