More Bounce = Less Bass?

a space odyssey
watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 18 Jul 2018 08:26

I've been playing around trying to get the bounce on my Gyro SE perfected.

While not as good as the best videos I've seen, my bounce appears to be in the "good, but not best" category, which I'm going to call good enough for now.

But one thing puzzles me:

The table now sounds like it has less bass than when it had less bounce, i.e. the gap between the chassis and the spider was smaller / lower.

Has anyone else noticed a similar thing?

In the quest to pursue better bounce is it possible to have too large of a gap between chassis and spider?

I was trying to create enough of a gap so they wouldn't whack into each other on a harder bounce push...

Cyreg
member
member
Posts: 214
Joined: 20 Aug 2007 20:36
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by Cyreg » 18 Jul 2018 08:45

watchnerd wrote:I've been playing around trying to get the bounce on my Gyro SE perfected.

While not as good as the best videos I've seen, my bounce appears to be in the "good, but not best" category, which I'm going to call good enough for now.

But one thing puzzles me:

The table now sounds like it has less bass than when it had less bounce, i.e. the gap between the chassis and the spider was smaller / lower.

Has anyone else noticed a similar thing?

In the quest to pursue better bounce is it possible to have too large of a gap between chassis and spider?

I was trying to create enough of a gap so they wouldn't whack into each other on a harder bounce push...
1 to 2 mm? see http://www.angelfire.com/music5/michell ... anual.html

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 18 Jul 2018 17:48

Cyreg wrote:
watchnerd wrote:I've been playing around trying to get the bounce on my Gyro SE perfected.

While not as good as the best videos I've seen, my bounce appears to be in the "good, but not best" category, which I'm going to call good enough for now.

But one thing puzzles me:

The table now sounds like it has less bass than when it had less bounce, i.e. the gap between the chassis and the spider was smaller / lower.

Has anyone else noticed a similar thing?

In the quest to pursue better bounce is it possible to have too large of a gap between chassis and spider?

I was trying to create enough of a gap so they wouldn't whack into each other on a harder bounce push...
1 to 2 mm? see http://www.angelfire.com/music5/michell ... anual.html
If I do 1-2 mm, the suspension bottoms out during the bounce test and whacks the chassis against the spider.

To get an acceptable bounce, I'm probably closer to 3 mm.

Schlep
member
member
Posts: 27
Joined: 08 Feb 2016 17:03

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by Schlep » 18 Sep 2018 22:52

With regard to "more bounce = less bass", I tend to agree.

dinogyro
member
member
Posts: 131
Joined: 28 Mar 2016 23:04
Location: Lancashire

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by dinogyro » 14 Nov 2018 17:06

I have very little bounce and a lot of bass (which I like).

Surely you don't need a lot of bounce as the platter's actual movement in use is very small. The suspension is absorbing tiny vibrations, not travelling along a dirt track.

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by gwernaffield » 03 Dec 2018 23:44

you don't need bounce just get rid of the springs, which kill the decks performance ,

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 04 Dec 2018 00:20

gwernaffield wrote:
03 Dec 2018 23:44
you don't need bounce just get rid of the springs, which kill the decks performance ,
So turn the Gyro into a non-suspended design?

If I want a non-suspended deck, why would I buy / own a Gyro in the first place?

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by gwernaffield » 04 Dec 2018 19:06

the gyro is suspended between custom made suspension pylons and Not made of string and wood but engineered parts made of delrin and using up to 12 o-rings if needed, but you still get a little movement just ask the lads that have it

gwernaffield
member
member
Posts: 63
Joined: 29 Aug 2012 19:40
Location: wales

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by gwernaffield » 04 Dec 2018 19:17

The deck is an odyssey ,but these have been fitted to orbes and gyros old and new, the deck is still suspending and kept to the datum points that it was machined from , so how about less bounce and better base, better sound stage ,better vocals , 100% better every thing , no strings attached , just read cheap upgrades from michell gyro on AOS ,Wam michell owners club , and see if you can disagree, because those how have them cannot believe what was hidden
orbe 3.jpeg
(78.98999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
alans gyro .jpg
(105.36 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 05 Dec 2018 02:57

gwernaffield wrote:
04 Dec 2018 19:17
The deck is an odyssey ,but these have been fitted to orbes and gyros old and new, the deck is still suspending and kept to the datum points that it was machined from , so how about less bounce and better base, better sound stage ,better vocals , 100% better every thing , no strings attached , just read cheap upgrades from michell gyro on AOS ,Wam michell owners club , and see if you can disagree, because those how have them cannot believe what was hidden
orbe 3.jpeg
alans gyro .jpg
That looks similar to the suspension used by the Pedersen mod.

AsOriginallyRecorded
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 841
Joined: 26 Jun 2018 06:05

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 05 Dec 2018 03:20

Suggest you take advantage of the valet service.......surely they provide one for that much money? :lol:

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 05 Dec 2018 03:38

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
05 Dec 2018 03:20
Suggest you take advantage of the valet service.......surely they provide one for that much money? :lol:
huh?

Spinner45
long player
long player
Posts: 2995
Joined: 01 Mar 2017 17:21

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Dec 2018 03:46

All these troubles with expensive esoteric machines? :lol:
I guess cosmetics/status are more important to some, than sensible equipment that isn't so touchy.

watchnerd
senior member
senior member
Posts: 552
Joined: 11 May 2014 19:09
Location: Seattle

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by watchnerd » 05 Dec 2018 03:49

Spinner45 wrote:
05 Dec 2018 03:46
All these troubles with expensive esoteric machines? :lol:
I guess cosmetics/status are more important to some, than sensible equipment that isn't so touchy.
Obvious troll is obvious

GyroSE
member
member
Sweden
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Apr 2012 09:57

Re: More Bounce = Less Bass?

Post by GyroSE » 05 Dec 2018 10:51

Spinner45 wrote:
05 Dec 2018 03:46
All these troubles with expensive esoteric machines? :lol:
I guess cosmetics/status are more important to some, than sensible equipment that isn't so touchy.
Well the Gyro SE isn't that expensive nor esoteric but yes it looks a bit spectacular but its main feature is that it's very good sounding- the price-performance ratio is high. It's pretty much a set and forget turntable but you can of course experiment with the bounce as mentioned above. If you want to have a turntable as a status symbol I guess you've to look in the higher price brackets where the real esoteric turntables rule...
Last edited by GyroSE on 05 Dec 2018 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply