Bearing oil replacement

a space odyssey
gwernaffield

Re: Bearing oil replacement

Post by gwernaffield » 04 Dec 2018 21:44

try some zx1 extralube c75 in the bottle with the needle off eBay , but make sure you have the adjustable power supply first , it has a friction eliminator mixed in , you can either mix it with the oil mobil1 or use it as it is, it works a treat , does not contain ptfe ,

blakep

Post by blakep » 10 Dec 2018 20:27

Tarzan wrote:
20 Nov 2018 12:25

How did you get on BlakeP?
Received the Audio Origami Oil about a week ago now that the Canadian Postal Strike has ended (still waiting on 2 other international packages that were sent 7 weeks ago :( ) and finally got around to doing the oil change about 2 days ago.

I am actually a bit surprised but there has been a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I would say my results here are pretty consistent with the PFM member who posted/reviewed a number of years ago-see below. An overall cleaning up of the sound, better separation/clarity with both instruments and voices and an improvement in bass definition.

Definitely noticeable. At about $22 Cnd for a couple of small vials of oil it is not cheap but I would recommend it based on my experience. I might actually be able to squeeze 4 oil changes out of that amount with my Gyro. It will without a doubt do 3 with a bit of leftover oil for me to lubricate the AC motor on my Gyrodec with, which I am interested in trying out as well.

Was going to do the "spin test" pre and post installation of the AO oil but forgot. But there is no question that it is very, very slippery. Seems to be thinner than what I was using before (Amsoil 0W-40 Four Stroke) which is probably a good thing with the inverted bearing on the Gyro.

Without doubt it has upped the ante in terms of actual lubrication. My Gyro is a bit of an antique with the original AC motor and I operate it off a variable output transformer (this was an idea I picked up from Harry Weisfeld at VPI who used to do the same thing with Empire tables that he owned) and dial the voltage down following start up a la Linn Lingo/VPI SDS. With the Amsoil, I could dial down from 115 V at startup to around 60 V. Going below that would result in the platter slowing and stopping but with the AO oil I can actually dial down into the very low 50's with the platter continuing to rotate properly. So its advertised lubrication qualities are indeed superior in this case.

So far so good.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... il.131588/

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan » 12 Dec 2018 10:53

I am not going mad then...…... :mrgreen:

alevans51
United States of America

Post by alevans51 » 21 Jan 2019 04:45

Labelle 108 synthetic. Working well. Light. Made for this type environment. Bearing housing was sprayed out with brake cleaner at change. Interval: 11 years, one year late. It was working but ready for a change.

gwernaffield

Post by gwernaffield » 27 Jan 2019 12:31

i use a mix of mobil1 and zx1 extra lube , it is a friction reducer not ptfe , seems to work great in the michell, as you have to adjust the speed when first used, after that it is great stuff to use lowers the rumble off the bearing , cannot say any more