Bearing oil replacement

a space odyssey
hand of ike

Bearing oil replacement

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 10:08

Hi,

I’d like to put new oil in my Gyro SE bearing, my table has been in storage for a number of years and I can finally enjoy it again. I can see where the oil goes, if you remove the outer from the inverted spindle you see a steel shaft with a hole in it, I think I’d need to use a syringe and insert the oil in here.

My questions are, how would I clean out the old oil and how much oil is needed for re fill? I’m going to use the official Mitchell oil.

Lastly when I got the table home after transit I reassembled the unit but the small ball bearing fell onto the floor. I’m sure it’s not damaged but as I’m doing a sort of mini service I’d like to replace the ball. Anyone know which size and type is used?

Kind regards

GyroSE
Sweden

Re: Bearing oil replacement

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 11:07

hand of ike wrote:Hi,

I’d like to put new oil in my Gyro SE bearing, my table has been in storage for a number of years and I can finally enjoy it again. I can see where the oil goes, if you remove the outer from the inverted spindle you see a steel shaft with a hole in it, I think I’d need to use a syringe and insert the oil in here.

My questions are, how would I clean out the old oil and how much oil is needed for re fill? I’m going to use the official Mitchell oil.

Lastly when I got the table home after transit I reassembled the unit but the small ball bearing fell onto the floor. I’m sure it’s not damaged but as I’m doing a sort of mini service I’d like to replace the ball. Anyone know which size and type is used?

Kind regards
Hi,

Clean the bearing canister with cotton swabs and some IpaClean (isopropanol). If you already have the official Michell oil then use it but next time buy Mobil 1 0W-40 oil, I believe Michell use this oil and sell it as their own. Fill up the canister about 2 mm with oil, be careful not to overfill it.

I'm not sure about the bearing ball size, send an email to Michell directly and ask about this to be sure to get the right one.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 11:31

Thanks,

I haven't got the oil yet so I'll get the one suggested I have heard this said before.

Would you recommend using a syringe to fill the reservoir or is it okay to pour in direct?

I emailed Michell and they are going to send me a new bearing...

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 11:43

hand of ike wrote:Thanks,

I haven't got the oil yet so I'll get the one suggested I have heard this said before.

Would you recommend using a syringe to fill the reservoir or is it okay to pour in direct?

I emailed Michell and they are going to send me a new bearing...
Then go directly for the Mobil 1 oil instead. Yes I would use a syringe as it makes it possible to fill up the oil container more carefully and controlled.

Sounds great about the bearing ball. Soon you'll have your Gyro SE up and running. :D

EDIT!: Oh, and one more thing. When you're filling the oil container up start that procedure with putting a couple of drops of oil on/around the bearing axle, then fill up the container carefully before putting the bearing house on the axle. Then you're good to go.
Last edited by GyroSE on 15 Mar 2018 11:50, edited 2 times in total.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 11:48

Yeah so looking forward to it!

The next step is sorting the azimuth not easy on a RB-250 arm and Grado Green cartridge (as Grado say no to cartridge shims)... guess I'll have to shim the tonearm base for the correction...

Got the VTA sorted I think, as soon as an OriginLive adjustable VTA can be ordered, visually looking at my cart and what Grado say's my arm is about 0.5-1 degree out....

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 11:55

hand of ike wrote:Yeah so looking forward to it!

The next step is sorting the azimuth not easy on a RB-250 arm and Grado Green cartridge (as Grado say no to cartridge shims)... guess I'll have to shim the tonearm base for the correction...

Got the VTA sorted I think, as soon as an OriginLive adjustable VTA can be ordered, visually looking at my cart and what Grado say's my arm is about 0.5-1 degree out....
I believe the easiest thing is to get the Michell VTA Adjuster:

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/to ... -adjuster/

If you get the this you won't need any other VTA adjustment accessory. IMHO the Michell VTA Arm Adjuster is really worth the money.
Last edited by GyroSE on 15 Mar 2018 11:59, edited 2 times in total.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 11:58

Oh cr*p.... I just ordered the OriginLive part... let me see if I can cancel it and get the Mitchell!!

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 12:00

hand of ike wrote:Oh cr*p.... I just ordered the OriginLive part... let me see if I can cancel it and get the Mitchell!!
Cancel the order if it's possible and get the Michell version instead.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 12:03

Thanks,

I've just emailed them, I'm going to order the finger locknut as well while I'm at it... Looks like it'll be much easier to do the azimuth with that than a nut!

Can I ask what the GP Armboard upgrade in your signature is?

Thanks so much!

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 12:11

hand of ike wrote:Thanks,

I've just emailed them, I'm going to order the finger locknut as well while I'm at it... Looks like it'll be much easier to do the azimuth with that than a nut!

Can I ask what the GP Armboard upgrade in your signature is?

Thanks so much!
Yes, get the finger locknut as well- I believe they are sold together but please check that again to be sure about it.

The GP Armboard upgrade:

http://www.pedersensgyro.dk/armboard

IMHO it works very well.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 12:18

I shall put that on my list of considerations...

The next step is the Orbe Clamp upgrade... maybe!

Cheers

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 15 Mar 2018 12:26

hand of ike wrote:I shall put that on my list of considerations...

The next step is the Orbe Clamp upgrade... maybe!

Cheers
Sounds good that you start of with the VTA arm adjuster first- then you can upgrade further step-by-step.

The Orbe Clamp kit sounds like a nice upgrade- and next you'll maybe get the Michell TechnoWeight:

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/to ... hnoweight/

Cheers

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 15 Mar 2018 12:29

GyroSE wrote:Sounds good that you start of with the VTA arm adjuster first- then you can upgrade further step-by-step.
Yeah, VTA then azimuth...
GyroSE wrote:The Orbe Clamp kit sounds like a nice upgrade- and next you'll maybe get the Michell TechnoWeight:
My RB-250 is a fully upgraded OriginLive one.... Tho I can be tempted to dabble!

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 16 Mar 2018 06:19

hand of ike wrote:a steel shaft with a hole in it, I think I’d need to use a syringe and insert the oil in here.
Not in the hole!

There is a sump at the foot of the shaft. The oil has to get there. The easiest is to drip it on top of the shaft and let it run down. The trick is to stop on time.

hand of ike

Post by hand of ike » 17 Mar 2018 08:25

Werner wrote:
hand of ike wrote:a steel shaft with a hole in it, I think I’d need to use a syringe and insert the oil in here.
Not in the hole!

There is a sump at the foot of the shaft. The oil has to get there. The easiest is to drip it on top of the shaft and let it run down. The trick is to stop on time.
Thanks, I contacted Michell and they’ve given me instructions....