long player
United States of America

Re: Knosti anti static fluid

Post by jdjohn » 23 May 2019 16:05

vince1 wrote:
22 May 2019 23:46
jdjohn wrote:
08 Jun 2017 18:24
I bought a Knosti from Kyluckyman(RIP), and he recommended this cocktail after doing his own research.
50ml of 99% isopropyl alcohol
5ml of Triton
1ml (a few drops) of PhotoFlo
Fill the rest with distilled water (about 440-445ml)

The Triton and PhotoFlo are not necessarily easy to find, but in his memory, this is what I use, and now I have enough to last awhile. It does create a few suds...not sure from which chemical. After washing, and then rinsing the tub thoroughly, I do a second treatment/rinse on the records with just distilled water.

Of course, the dishwasher rinse aid is much easier to find than Triton and PhotoFlo, and I'm sure works very well. But when I saw the subject title of Knosti, I thought of Bob and had to post this :| He had purchased on Okki Nokki to replace his Knosti.
sorry, but this formulation just doesn't make any sense. Photoflo is just a mixture of Triton (5-10%) and Propylene Glycol (25-30%). See for yourself here: https://www.msdsdigital.com/kodak-photo ... ution-msds
The propylene glycol is sticky and not recommended for records (If you use a photographic product alone, then Ilford's Ilfotol is better as it doesn't contain the glycol, just the surfactant). Hence, there is no reason to add Triton X-100 (= octylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol), then more triton with photoflo. The surfactant is the same and the glycol is bad.
Dishwasher rinse aid is acidic as heck, it also doesn't belong on your records. Preservationists agree: You will never find the best record cleaning agents in your supermarket.
Hi Vince,

I agree with you, and am glad you pointed this out. You may recall this post from about a year ago https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... lit=triton where I offered a new concoction which (I believe) had your blessing.

It contains the following:
*Triton X-100 (standard grade)
*Hepastat256 (this is a 'Quat', and their concentration is what works for my proportions)
*99% Isopropyl alcohol
*Distilled water

Here are the proportions for 500ml of cleaning solution:
- 25ml of isopropyl alcohol; measure in smaller measuring cup, and then pour into larger measuring cup.
- 0.75ml of Triton using a pipette; it dissolves quicker in alcohol than in water, so add it here into the same large measuring cup; stir it around a bit. Rinse the pipette inside and out - suck water into it and squeeze out several times.
- 0.25ml of Hepastat256. Rinse the pipette again and then set it aside for the next time you need to make a batch.
- Fill the rest of the measuring cup to 500ml with distilled water, and stir.

I hope you still concur :D

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 25 May 2019 02:20

That's a fantastic solution, I was just commenting on the doubling up of Triton by using Photoflo in the previous recipe and the ills of glycol. Kind of a waste of money as well since Kodak is a ripoff. How's your Hepastat mix working out?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 25 May 2019 03:24

Yeah, Photoflo is out of the mix now. The Hepastat mix works great as you can imagine. I especially like the anti-static properties it provides for the vinyl. I probably have enough H256 to last three lifetimes since a 32oz bottle was the smallest I could find. But I also use it to make a kitchen disinfectant for countertops and such.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 25 May 2019 14:34

Where does one find/buy Hepastat?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America