Ahhhh they are so musty I could die

how clean is your house
truedeth
United States of America

Ahhhh they are so musty I could die

Post by truedeth » 08 Jun 2019 02:12

I got some amazing vinyl so far in my collection but some of the outer jackets smell so musty it makes me want to run away. I've done searches on here for how to clean the jacket but none are answering my question. How do I clean a musty record jacket? I have Lysol wipes, Windex, some degreasers, and isopropyl alcohol at my disposal. Give me tips so I don't have to jettison these cool jackets and get generic white ones!

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Ahhhh they are so musty I could die

Post by circularvibes » 08 Jun 2019 02:19

try putting them in a sealed garbage bag with kitty litter for a day, should help. Trick from a book store.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 08 Jun 2019 02:50

circularvibes wrote:
08 Jun 2019 02:19
try putting them in a sealed garbage bag with kitty litter for a day, should help. Trick from a book store.
Yeah I'll try that! If that doesn't work I'll have to buy blank jackets. :(

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 08 Jun 2019 03:15

Ozone generator, search for a thread about moldy records.
I've tried microwave once, jacket almost started to burn, but no smell anymore.
Another option is to buy same record graded P for cheap and use a jacket.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Jun 2019 04:42

Use of filtered sunlight and fresh air can go a long way toward eliminating these odors. Taking appropriate steps to avoid bleaching out of colors must be kept in mind however. As also suggested, the ozone generators can be considered. Sunshine works the same way. Not available to everyone, but placement in a dry, opaque lighting greenhouse would work perfectly. You'll have to find something that is kind to inks and dyes, yet lethal to molds. Wait a bit....I'm sure others will chime in here. :wink:

zacrobmer
Germany

Post by zacrobmer » 09 Jun 2019 08:31

Kitty litter does work. So does baking soda. I guess you could double up and pour some baked soda on the kitty litter.

I did this with several old antique books.

I purchased a large plastic storage container/tote, for vinyl jackets I would get one that allowed me to stand them up to save room.

Use a foil baking pan and set it down into the tote. Make sure there is room to put the jackets inside, and fold/shape the pan as needed to fit. Pull the pan back out and fill with kitty litter (the normal unscented clay based kind) and /or baking soda and place the pan back in the tote.

Add in your jackets and try to keep them "loose" so there are air gaps between them.

Cover and let them sit for several days/a week or two.

I had also put a few of those reusable desiccant packets in with mine to make sure that any extra moisture was pulled out of the books/kitty litter, that may have been overkill.

If it works for books it should work even better for some vinly jackets.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 09 Jun 2019 16:15

I threw some kitty litter in a garbage bag and tossed the jackets in there. I checked back the next day and the top one was half musty as hell and half no odor! So I'm onto something now. I wasn't opposed to white replacement jackets but I didn't want to lose the art. I will have to figure out something better than this method as it's not a very consistent method with most of the litter filtering to the bottom of the bag.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jun 2019 05:25

Just so you know, truedeth...We have had some thoughts about this here on VE in the past...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=97019

And trust me, I know about mold and musty odors on records...I pulled some doozies out here! #-o

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=78509

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 10 Jun 2019 23:56

vinyl master wrote:
10 Jun 2019 05:25
Just so you know, truedeth...We have had some thoughts about this here on VE in the past...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=97019

And trust me, I know about mold and musty odors on records...I pulled some doozies out here! #-o

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=78509
At work we have several albums that look worse than those you dug up!!

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 11 Jun 2019 11:13

The smell is likely microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) that are from metabolic activity of fungal growth. You can absorb these compounds with charcoal or kitty litter, but you are not removing the source. For this, you have to kill the mold, which is why UV light or Ozone was recommended. A quaternary ammonium detergent like Hepastat can also work. All of these treatments can fade the dyes within the cover so beware. Also, the inside pocket of the cover must also be treated (another benefit to using ozone over surface treatments). The spores of molds are quite resistant and can contaminate other items stored nearby so keep these albums out of your collection (and home) until they are treated. Also, the records within these covers are likely contaminated. This can be a real problem as the mold utilize compounds within the record as a carbon source. Hence, permanent damage can occur. Again, a good Quat wash will remove the contaminants. However, be aware that the record surface may be permanently scarred by the fungal infection.

see: Brown A. E. (1946) Problems of fungal growth on synthetic resins, plastics and plasticizers. U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development, report no. 6067. (U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development, Washington, D.C.)

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 11 Jun 2019 13:24

Hello
I had fungus problems on photographic lenses.
I put the for a fortnight under an UV lamp used for bacterial killing. These tubes give very harsh UV radiation which is harmful for your eyes and skin. So use a device to thurn them on while you are not exposed to the light.
The fungus disappeared but there is a faint mark which is the part of the glass the fungus has eaten. To remove these it will take a polishing of the lens, hence a dismantling of it.
The UV faded all coloured material in the vicinity, and made some plastic brittle... So very efficient but very dangerous...
I was told that ozone could work (but the contaminated lens being inside, it was difficult for the ozone to reach it) but it was more difficult to produce for me and it is quite dangerous at high concentration to your lungs and skin...
In short : what kills the fungus is not good for you ;-)

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 11 Jun 2019 15:54

Would Clorox Broad Spectrum work? It comes up when searching quat cleaners and isn't $80 for a gallon of industrial chemical.
Screenshot_20190611-095251~2.png
Clorox Broad Spectrum cleaner
(445.42 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 12 Jun 2019 01:11

Maybe, but that stuff is only 0.2% Quat whereas Hepastat is 100x more concentrated at just $24/gallon