Long term storing 78 shellac

how clean is your house
DapOrp
United States of America

Long term storing 78 shellac

Post by DapOrp » 29 May 2019 18:52

Greetings,

I have received many shellac 78rpm records from my late grandmother. Many of them either came in these 'books' as collections, or were stored in 'record albums' with heavy paper sleeves inside a cardboard'ish cover/binding - they look like old books.

My question is, are the shellac records themselves 'ok' in these 'record albums' as-is or should they be transferred to a modern paper sleeve (I got a whole bunch of them from sleeve-city, claim to be acid free and all that) ?

Some of these 'record albums' seem to be in fairly decent shape as far as not disintegrating when picked up, some of them of course have fallen apart and those I have moved into modern paper sleeves already, just curious if I should continue transferring them all.

Thanks for any suggestions/insight

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Long term storing 78 shellac

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 May 2019 21:24

They are just fine being left in the albums.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 29 May 2019 22:35

Just store them like regular records, but be more careful as they are made of a more brittle material than vinyl. Careful when flipping pages and when pulling out books and putting it on a table. It's kinda like a stack of plates.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 May 2019 05:29

The books are fine...I have many of them, but you could also order some boxes and sleeves from Bags Unlimited, like these...

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/39 ... pm-records

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/73 ... enter-hole

They also have paper sleeves for the 78's, but the cardboard ones do look to have more rigidity...No matter what you use, though, be careful with how you handle them and clean them, which means by the edges and NO alcohol-based cleaning solutions... [-X

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 30 May 2019 23:23

Yeah. Remember that shellac is the excrement of the lac bug. It's an organic substance! Pretty wild huh?