Static buildup?

how clean is your house
truedeth
United States of America

Static buildup?

Post by truedeth » 28 May 2019 00:56

Now that I finally have a rubber mat and a Pro-Ionizer record brush thing, I find my albums are really sticking to the mat with static after removing the dust and playing the side. Is this normal? Is it bad? I just kinda ignore it and re-sleeve my lp. Should I do something different?
IMG_20190527_185532.jpg
(104.81 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Static buildup?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 28 May 2019 03:12

Correct me if I am wrong, but much of Wisconsin tends toward being a drier climate most of the year, does it not? Rubber mats have a reputation for minimizing static generally, so that is a good move. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Ionizer personally, but it looks to be similar to a Parastatic brush that I have and use, which contains a central wicking device that one saturates with water to cut static issues. Under most conditions, it works effectively for me. When the air is particularly dry, I would suggest using a quick spritz of distilled water on a nylon brush passed over the disc to further suppress static on the record surface. Grounding of the turntable is essential in such an environment as well. Do you happen to have carpet in your listening area? If so, static can easily be built up by simply dragging your foot across the carpet, which will transfer to the TT and LP very easily. Physically dispersing such electric charge by touching a metal chassis can be helpful. That is a short list of possibilities...each case is somewhat unique, as are the remedies. Best of luck... [-o<

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 28 May 2019 03:14

Get yourself one of the D stat guns.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 28 May 2019 05:02

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
28 May 2019 03:12
Correct me if I am wrong, but much of Wisconsin tends toward being a drier climate most of the year, does it not? Rubber mats have a reputation for minimizing static generally, so that is a good move. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Ionizer personally, but it looks to be similar to a Parastatic brush that I have and use, which contains a central wicking device that one saturates with water to cut static issues. Under most conditions, it works effectively for me. When the air is particularly dry, I would suggest using a quick spritz of distilled water on a nylon brush passed over the disc to further suppress static on the record surface. Grounding of the turntable is essential in such an environment as well. Do you happen to have carpet in your listening area? If so, static can easily be built up by simply dragging your foot across the carpet, which will transfer to the TT and LP very easily. Physically dispersing such electric charge by touching a metal chassis can be helpful. That is a short list of possibilities...each case is somewhat unique, as are the remedies. Best of luck... [-o<
I have never used water on my brush, and after looking around online, I saw the instructions for it and it says to use water! That could be why it's so static when I pull the record off the platter. Wisconsin is quite dry except when it's super humid in the summer.
The turntable is grounded to my receiver using the grounding wire, but as I am building a stand for my record player and receiver, is there some sort of grounding thing I can install to ground myself? Like a plate or something on the inner side of the cabinet?
lenjack wrote:
28 May 2019 03:14
Get yourself one of the D stat guns.
I'm poor!🎉 What do they do? Are they expensive?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 28 May 2019 15:35

Sorry, I misnamed it. It's a Zerostat. A new one is expensive. Extremely effective in dissipating static charges. Introduced in the Early 70's. Get yourself a used one. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 28 May 2019 15:44

Or make you one using a lighter with piezo ....

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 28 May 2019 20:39

I don't know how effective it would be, but I heard that the Zerostat guns use the same piezo as the ones found in BBQ lighter. They (piexo lighters) were mentioned in an earlier post, so the credit for this idea doesn't go to me.

eBay sells the BBQ lighters for ~$5, so it may be worth it to try. I have q xerostat gun (white vs red & made in UK vs China) and have found it to be somewhat effective. Maybe I am doing something wrong (I use the method detailed on this site: 3 slow cycles in a triangle on the record and 1 "pull only...no release" over the middle) or it's not working (I don't know how I would check it....maybe on some packing peanuts?)properly?

Anyway...the piezo BBQ lighters are very inexpensive and may be worth a shot?

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 28 May 2019 20:43

ZEROstat not EXOstat...sorry

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 28 May 2019 20:50

It is extremely effective.Test it by pointing it at an overhead fluorescent light that's off, and it will flicker, or aim it at the hairs on your arm, and they will bristle...no discomfort.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 29 May 2019 18:31

I shall try it...thank you!