Looking for a new PC Soundcard

the mix tape forum
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: Looking for a new PC Soundcard

Post by lini » 14 Jan 2019 06:28

bbr: Well, of course you could consider that Soundblaster - you should keep in mind, though, that the X AE-5 is more of a multimedia- and gaming-oriented soundcard, while your Tascam is a prosumer USB sound interface. So the Soundblaster will neither sport balanced inputs in general, nor balanced inputs with 48 V phantom power for professional microphones, nor an instrument input, nor MIDI I/O - and also not a recording level or respectively gain control in hardware, and that still on the analogue side, as prosumer sound interfaces usually still do. Hence, if you in fact have the Tascam in hifi use, most of the former features might be pretty irrelevant for you, while proper recording level control on the analogue side would nevertheless be a good feature to have for a hifi user, who wants to record a lot and would thus prefer to have line inputs, that are capable of digesting a pretty wide range of levels.

So, basically it boils down to: If you need any of the typical prosumer features or if you are a hifi user with a high priority on recording from various analogue sources, you'd (most probably) be better served with a decent prosumer USB sound interface like the Steinberg UR22MkII or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen.) (or one of their bigger siblings, in case you'd need more analogue I/Os or other additional features the bigger siblings might additionally offer, like for example SPDIF I/O on the Scarlett 6i6...) than with a multimedia/gaming soundcard.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini