the home of the turntable

Thinking about this setup for ripping lp's

the mix tape forum

Thinking about this setup for ripping lp's

Postby melsmcintosh » 18 Apr 2012 01:33

This is what I think I've settled on for low budget recording my LP's on my Mac g5:
Technics SL1100A with Stanton 681 EEE, (I have a ADC XLM MK III but the stylus is shot)
Cambridge 540p preamp going through my imic USB interface to by pass the Mac audio input stage.
Any thoughts good or bad?
Thanks
melsmcintosh

United States of America

Re: Thinking about this setup for ripping lp's

Postby Alec124c41 » 18 Apr 2012 03:48

That should work. I just used the audio input on my G5, with the gain turned down to about 4% in the sound preferences.
The other thing you need is recording software. I use Audacity, but there are others.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby melsmcintosh » 19 Apr 2012 02:49

Are there any real sonic advantages to capture the preamp signal through the USB port vs. the line in on a Mac G5? I've read that there is less noise interference going through the USB, is this true or just marketing jargon?
I've noticed a big difference using a DAC from the USB vs. the headphone output on the Mac playing digital sources.
melsmcintosh

United States of America

Postby ripblade » 06 May 2012 16:37

I'm not a Mac guy, but in my considerable experience ripping vinyl, I've learned that what works on the way out also works on the way in. An external ADC connected via USB *should* sound noticeably better.

I also recommend you use the preamp's volume control to set the input level instead of the software sliders, especially with 16bit recordings. Leave the sliders up full.
How boring it would be, this endeavor
If all we heard was "perfect sound forever"
ripblade

Postby Hanuman » 06 May 2012 19:04

I echo @ripblade's opinion about the quality of the Apple input.
melsmcintosh wrote:I've noticed a big difference using a DAC from the USB vs. the headphone output on the Mac playing digital sources.

That's a good indicator, then, towards guessing the quality of the built-in ADC of the G5. You've established that the built-in DAC is inferior to an external one and it's not a big leap to assume the ADC will be likewise inferior.
Hanuman

Postby hesson12 » 07 May 2012 00:18

Alec124c41 wrote:That should work. I just used the audio input on my G5, with the gain turned down to about 4% in the sound preferences.
The other thing you need is recording software. I use Audacity, but there are others.

Cheers,
Alec

Hi Alec,
I'm just getting started, but I'm doing things the same way you are, except that I'm using VinylStudio software. Just wondering why you turn the volume down so low in Sound Preferences. THANKS.
-Bob
hesson12

Postby Coffee Phil » 07 May 2012 17:42

My Mac experience is with G4 so things could have changed.

I found the level control for the analog input to not be optimum. I put a symmetrical sawtooth into the analog input of the Mac while monitoring the output of the USB box (ADS RDX 150). With the gain on the Mac set to max clipping occured at 3.4 VPP at the input and 2VPP at the output. With the gain on the Mac turned down clipping occurred at 6.6 VPP input but only 260 mVPP at the output. I would have expected that for any setting of the gain the same output should be achieved and decided that the designer screwed up and rejected it. I should have tried more input levels and gain settings.

Using the ADC box and Toast 8 the gain in the Mac is fixed. Clipping occured at 2.25 VPP input and 1.04 VPP.

It appears that the Mac soundcard gave ~6 dB more headroom than the Toast gain setting for the external box but the funny in the gain control in the Mac caused me to avoid it.

Especially with the newer Mac YMMV.

Phil

melsmcintosh wrote:This is what I think I've settled on for low budget recording my LP's on my Mac g5:
Technics SL1100A with Stanton 681 EEE, (I have a ADC XLM MK III but the stylus is shot)
Cambridge 540p preamp going through my imic USB interface to by pass the Mac audio input stage.
Any thoughts good or bad?
Thanks
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby melsmcintosh » 23 May 2012 03:56

Thanks for all the responses. Instead of the 540p I went with the Parasound zphono which I'm very happy with. I was able to find a spare ADC XLM III stylus that I had stashed in the attic. What a major difference over the 681 EEE, much smother sound, but i think the 681 is better for rock it also seems to have a higher output. Using amadaus pro I run the input volume about 1/3 to hit zero db at peaks. The imic allows 20bit recording that I can't hear the difference from the original recording although I don't need to do much processing after recording using the ADC cartridge.
melsmcintosh

United States of America

Return to Vinyl Ripping

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising