Audio interface manufacturers / products

the mix tape forum
Bonzo_Dog

Re: Audio interface manufacturers / products

Post by Bonzo_Dog » 02 Aug 2016 20:16

I have been happy using the HRT Linestreamer+ since 2013. It uses Audio Class 1.0 drivers that is native on all modern operative systems. No extra drivers are needed. The data transfer is asynchronous giving 24-bit/96 kHz 'jitter-free' sound. The unit is not among the cheapest but fits in somewhere (hopefully in the upper end) below professional gear.

The unit is small and portable using USB power. However, at home I'm using an extra USB power supply (AQVOX). It's very easy to operate with no buttons or switches, just two standard RCA connectors on the analog side and a USB type-B plug on the digital side giving 24-bit 96 kHz audio.

A possible issue might be no gain control. The recording level is fixed. It has not yet been a problem for me using three different RIAAs because the level is typically -6 dB with sufficient headroom (it varies between -4 dB on some singles and -12 dB on LPs with the lowest level). The current RIAA I'm using has gain control so it's no problem for me in any case.

I have - in addition to RIAA - so far connected a cassette deck and a microphone mixer to the Linestreamer, both with gain control on the analog side.

My impression on the sound is that it is transparent and I feel no need of better equipment regarding ADC. I haven't felt the need of testing more expensive ADCs though. Improvements have been made closer to the analog source and in the editing software. The Linestreamer+ also did quite well in a ADC review at Analog Planet.

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 06 Aug 2016 23:18

Still using my trusted old Terratec Phase 26. It has a decent phono input but no built-in RIAA filter.

The digitising setup consists of a Grundig PS6000 (re-branded Technics) tangential record player, said Terratec interface and a Mac Mini running Audio Hijack for digitising, TwistedWave with a selection of AU plug-ins for post processing (RIAA filtering, denoising etc.) and Tagger for tagging the audio files and adding a JPEG of the cover.

All digitising and processing is done at 96k and 24 bit. The finished files are saved as Apple Lossless in 44.1k, 16 bit.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 07 Aug 2016 12:26

c_l: The same also goes for the Terrasoniq Phase X64 USB, btw, which sports two pairs of switchable RCA inputs (Aux/Phono) and also does the RIAA (re-)equalisation in software.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

spearo

Post by spearo » 25 Sep 2016 17:31

A good month ago I've switched to RME. Using now the Fireface UC and i'm very happy with it :D

Greetz from Augsburg

FCA vs Darmstadt 1:0 ...Hooray :D

gbougard

Post by gbougard » 06 Oct 2016 06:05

hello

I'm quite intrigued by this solution

http://www.sweetvinyl.com/

Anyone care to comment (apart from the price)

Wadester999

Post by Wadester999 » 05 Feb 2017 07:17

Is anyone familiar with the Music Hall PA2.2? Has some interesting features

http://musichallaudio.com/music-hall-pa ... amplifier/

Poinzy

Post by Poinzy » 05 Feb 2017 15:29

Wadester999 wrote:Is anyone familiar with the Music Hall PA2.2? Has some interesting features

http://musichallaudio.com/music-hall-pa ... amplifier/
I'd rather have the ADC separate. I've had problems with integrated USB grounding into pre-amp audio lines, creating noise, particularly the infamous 1kHz whine. There are ways to get around the problem, but it's a pain.

Wadester999

Post by Wadester999 » 05 Feb 2017 20:19

Thanks for your input. What drew me to this init is the Wolfson ADCs and the $400 price. The other unit I am considering is tge Korg DA DAC-10R which is a similar design in that it has pre-amp/DAC/ADC but at higher resolution and higher price.

Do you have a standalone ADC at a similar quality level as the Korg that you would recommend?

I'm using a Thorens TD-124 with a Shure V15-V cartridge. I have a McIntosh mx-110z tube preamp I can use the tape outputs to a standalone ADC with but I'm not sure the tube sound will translate well. Your thought and sugggestions ar appreciated.

Poinzy

Post by Poinzy » 05 Feb 2017 20:25

Wadester999 wrote: Do you have a standalone ADC at a similar quality level as the Korg that you would recommend?
Well, this is awkward...

I don't have a specific recommendation for an ADC, since I long ago switched to outboard digital recorders, avoiding USB altogether. Keeping the USB gremlins out of my audio lines drove me to extreme measures, in some cases.

I have cheap, standalone USB ADC's for backup if I absolutely need them, but I almost never use them. Even when I do use them, I sometimes have to couple them to isolation transformers.

dahoo
China

Post by dahoo » 10 Mar 2017 08:43

Creative Sound Blaster XFI HD USB is a pretty decent DAC/ADC/Phono/Headphone Amp combo with Line/Phono/Mic/SPDIF in and Line/headphone/SPDIF out, last not least at $99. The phono section is not as good as my nad 1130 in terms of sound stage but still enjoyable. It can record at 96khz/24bit.
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/ ... premium-hd

A vinyl ripping i did with it and shure v15 stock vn35e stylus.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 26 Apr 2017 20:08

For about 3 years now, I've used an Echo Indigo I/O PCMCIA audio interface, recording at 24 bit/44.1 khz(because these are for burned CD's in the car). You can get laptops with PCMCIA very cheaply now, and I've been happy with the Indigo's ADC performance.

Signal chain is:
Technics SL-QD33 tt -> AT-PEQ3 preamp -> Mackie dfx6 mixer(for signal boost) -> Echo Indigo I/O

I tend to try and get a maximum signal peak between -8 and -4 db. Only caveat is I must unplug the laptop and use battery power, otherwise there is a lot of noise on the input caused by the laptop itself.

jorgjean

Post by jorgjean » 20 May 2017 20:46

I upgraded from RME Babyface to Benchmark ADC 1. Not sure wether the result is better but i wanted to make sure to get the best results for my efforts that I put in.

It is important for me to have a USB connection to record on the PC or MAC and I liked the Ultralock feature which apparently ensures that there is no jitter.

Nice quality and usefull features.

Not sure if the recording software has an effect on the quality of the recording. Any opinions on this?

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 22 May 2017 15:37

jj: Well, at least it can have an effect, also depending on the operating system and available drivers for the particular soundcard or sound interface - because all that may determine, whether one can actually record with the desired quantisation and sample rate or rather has to live with some resampling.

On a side note, apparetly both Windows Vista and 7 suffer from suboptimal resampling, which unfortunately hasn't been fixed for Vista anymore - but for Windows 7 there's an official patch (just google for KB2653312). And it seems like the SRC performance of popular audio software can also differ quite a bit, as can been seen over there: http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 15 Jul 2017 16:37

jorgjean wrote:Not sure if the recording software has an effect on the quality of the recording. Any opinions on this?
It's better to use a recorder that utilizes ASIO or WASAPI on a Windows machine. MME and DS are both limited to 16bits no matter what bit depth is used to record. I have confirmed this with a hex editor....the last 8bits are all zeros.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 17 Jul 2017 01:28

rb: Which cards have you tried in combination with DirectSound? Because as far as I remember not all cards were affected/limited. And in some cases it also was a question of the software configration. For example, in case of some Envy24-based cards one had to disable Sensaura.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini