Speed Correction - what's the best way for a needledrop?

the mix tape forum
Sinsonido
United States of America

Speed Correction - what's the best way for a needledrop?

Post by Sinsonido » 04 Dec 2019 15:31

I intend to set up my ADC soon to begin recording my LPs, but I'm also aware that some of my vinyl doesn't playback at the correct speed (the speed of my table has already been checked). How can this be corrected in the digital domain, and is there any detriment to sound quality when doing so? For albums that have been digitally reissued, can the timing of the capture be "matched" to commercially available files somehow?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Speed Correction - what's the best way for a needledrop?

Post by JoeE SP9 » 04 Dec 2019 22:34

Where are you getting 12" vinyl LP's that are not cut at the correct speed? What LP's are you talking about? My 1K plus vinyl collection has no LP's cut at the wrong speed.

Yes, an off speed file of anything can be corrected using digital means. It depends on the music editor you're using.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 05 Dec 2019 01:21

You can use a free program like Audacity to do speed correction, not pitch correction, which it can also do.

Like the above, I don't know what you mean by LP's cut at the wrong speed. There may have been tiny, barely perceptible speed variances with old cutting lathes and the analog tape decks that they used, but nothing really requiring any intervention on the users part. Then there is the outlier case like the Miles Davis Kind of Blue that was for years issued with one side like a quarter tone off speed but that sort of thing is not encountered often.

Once you do speed correction the timing will be altered as well. You can try matching to a digital version but that doesn't account for possible differences with fades, etc.

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 06 Dec 2019 20:55

I never actually said these records were cut at the wrong speed, I said they play back at the wrong speed, but I don't know why. It could be the tape that was received at the mastering facility or it could be user error somehow :mrgreen: , I just don't know. If I had known this would be the focus of the responses I would have studied this a little more closely and documented it more carefully, but I have not. I have noticed this phenomenon in passing and only rarely on a few older pressings from the early to mid seventies. Marginally flat or sharp, not substantially so. That's what got me wondering if a digital capture could be corrected and verified without having some kind of wonky autotune effect on the altered file.

There's actually one record I have in mind, and only because I've listened to it recently. The pitch starts off true at the beginning of the record and grows incrementally sharp by the end of the side. It's kind of subtle and I don't begin to notice until the middle of the side. And I don't recall hearing this on side two. I'll have to double-check that.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 06 Dec 2019 21:47

This sounds to me that you are talking about the playback equipment and that its speed varies slightly as the record plays......However on a quality table with a decent drive and good platter mass this is very slight if at all.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 30 Dec 2019 22:09

If LP's are not playing back at the correct speed you either have a hardware (TT) problem or the LP was cut at the wrong speed.

Audacity can correct for either problem. If it's your TT at fault I'd get it fixed post haste.