Having trouble with REGA Phono Mini A2D

the mix tape forum
jsmusic94
England

Having trouble with REGA Phono Mini A2D

Post by jsmusic94 » 15 Jul 2019 17:39

Hey guys. Tried ripping some vinyl today to hear what my vinyl is sounding like straight from the Phono stage as my speakers are up for replacing and I cannot for the life of me get it to work properly in either Audacity or Logic X (which I tried when I'd given up on audacity). With Audacity it's recording in, only skipping terribly (just the recording not the vinyl, which is playing exactly as it should) and as soon as I stop recording Audacity is saying that there were lots of "Audio Dropouts" which it details in a bar underneath the recording. Got exactly the same result in logic. The popup detailing the dropouts says it's possibly a slow hard-disk problem, but this is a MacBook pro and it works fine with other recording scenarios. Any ideas? The good news is, even through the choppy dirge I can tell that my setup is getting a lot of detail out of the vinyl.

jiiteepee

Re: Having trouble with REGA Phono Mini A2D

Post by jiiteepee » 15 Jul 2019 20:21

jsmusic94 wrote:
15 Jul 2019 17:39
Hey guys. Tried ripping some vinyl today to hear what my vinyl is sounding like straight from the Phono stage as my speakers are up for replacing and I cannot for the life of me get it to work properly in either Audacity or Logic X (which I tried when I'd given up on audacity). With Audacity it's recording in, only skipping terribly (just the recording not the vinyl, which is playing exactly as it should) and as soon as I stop recording Audacity is saying that there were lots of "Audio Dropouts" which it details in a bar underneath the recording. Got exactly the same result in logic. The popup detailing the dropouts says it's possibly a slow hard-disk problem, but this is a MacBook pro and it works fine with other recording scenarios. Any ideas? The good news is, even through the choppy dirge I can tell that my setup is getting a lot of detail out of the vinyl.
Audio dropouts usually means you have some bottleneck in your MacBook.
Maybe HD is too slow for high resolution recording (try 16/44.1), network (mostly WiFi related) hogs resources (disable), graphics acceleration hogs resources (disable), buffering (Disk I/O, audio I/O) (bigger buffers may help), etc..

jsmusic94
England

Post by jsmusic94 » 15 Jul 2019 20:26

Thank you so much. Will try.

GrumpyBob

Post by GrumpyBob » 28 Jul 2019 18:46

I use a 2013 MacBook Pro running Audacity with a USB connection to a Rega Mini A2D phono stage for ripping vinyl. I record at 16/44.1 and have experienced no issues (unless I wrongly select the input stream). My MacBook has an SSD drive. Maybe the recording resolution and/or the SSD drive make the difference?

Edit: Are you using a USB connection from the Rega Fono Mini, or relying on the MacBook's built-in sound card? My newer MacBook Pro doesn't have the capability to take an analogue signal, whereas an older MacBook (2010) does.

Robert