Ripping and saving

the mix tape forum
edagger74

Ripping and saving

Post by edagger74 » 28 May 2019 19:25

Hi. Its been a while since I have been on here. Its been a rough few months. Anyway, I have a question and i hope someone can help me out. I have decided to end my journey into collecting records. Its a personal choice, nothing life threatening. For me, its just time to move on to other ventures. I want to start ripping all my albums to my computer and sell off all my albums. I want to know what would be the best way of saving my recordings. I dont like the idea of leaving them on my computer and then have my computer crash and losing all of my saved rips. What would anyone recommend?
I have 2 NAS boxes but I know how mechanical drives can fail from heat or wear out. I thought maybe of saving my rips to flash drives, since removable storage is harder to kill. Now that there are SSD drives available, I have considered that as well. I also have cloud storage so that can be an option as well. Does anyone have any better recommendations? Do any of you have a better long term solution?

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Ripping and saving

Post by JoeE SP9 » 28 May 2019 19:52

You are legally obligated to keep any LP that you rip. According to the law if you sell or give away the LP, you should erase/delete any digital copies you may have made. This also applies to CD's.

With that said. I have too many LP's to rip all of them. However, I have ripped all of my CD's and quite a few LP's to an NAS. I have two backup drives with the same data. I would never store anything important in the cloud. Yes, I've kept the original CD's and LP's.

FWIW, I rip LP's at 16/48.

edagger74

Post by edagger74 » 28 May 2019 22:15

Well isnt that a kick in the teeth. So now it looks like I will be keeping only the LPs that I want to rip. Just as well I guess. I really wasnt looking to rip everything thing, just the ones I love. So a NAS box is what you recommend? I dont know If that is what I want to save them to. Mechanical HDs fail and since I live in TX, well heat will always be a factor here. I might do that and keep a second backup on flash drives so I can use flash drives for portability and my NAS box for storage. Like you, I have a lot of albums and it would take time to rip all of them. My format of choice will be FLAC @ 24bit 96kHz. I appreciate your input.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 29 May 2019 16:01

Unless you are storing your hard drive out in the garage all summer, you needn't worry about Texas heat killing it. 25 years living in Austin has not killed my drives, some of which are 20 years old. Today's spinners are the best ever made, but they are becoming obsolete with SSD's getting cheaper.

The one thing you don't want to do is use a flash drive or SD card for "permanent" storage. Those things die with out any warning, and ALL data is lost when that happens. With HDD's you have a chance of recovering some, if not all, of the data.

flac is great, and 24/96 (for me) results in a manageable file size.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 29 May 2019 19:01

I save my flax files to 2 or three separate hard drives in case a drive fails.

Dimal
Australia

Post by Dimal » 31 May 2019 08:03

Sunwire wrote:
29 May 2019 19:01
I save my flax files to 2 or three separate hard drives in case a drive fails.
Yep, same here... 8)
A couple of multi-terrabyte drives, and one on the PC, give me three separate backups with 24bit/96KHz flac files for both CDs and Vinyl.

Mal.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 03 Jun 2019 15:38

I have two NAS boxes, both running RAID 10. (4x4TB drives)
One remains permanently off, and gets powered on only when I need to synchronize data.

My NAS boxes apart from CD and LP rips, contain a lot of other "painful to lose" data like baby photos taken with digital cameras, vacation photos, birthday photos etc...

It will have to be a really bad situation to lose everything in one go.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 04 Jun 2019 21:09

There is also cloud storage. Using HDD or SSD + cloud, you'd be golden.

edagger74

Post by edagger74 » 10 Jun 2019 21:40

Well this has certainly started me in the right direction. I have just spent time sorting out my albums and decided to keep what im going to rip. I have 2 NAS boxes as well. One is in RAID 10 and the other is RAID 1. I wont be putting these in a garage. All my equipment will be indoors where it is a cool 74 degrees during the day. I have had mechanical harddrives fail on me. I once bought 3 Seagate Pipeline 2TB HDs and 2 out of the 3 failed after a year. My RAID 10 had RE2 Western Digitals and my RAID 1 has Seagates. I will save my rips to both of them and go from there. I also decided to have a dedicated PC set up as well to keep the rips on, for creating compilations and such. Thank you all for the help.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 11 Jun 2019 22:25

FWIW both WD and Seagate sell utilities for recovering data from their drives. I once recovered 97% of a 4TB volume that had been "erased".

Since you have mirrored volumes, your data is as about as safe as it gets in a home environment.

doug_vin
Canada

Post by doug_vin » 27 Jun 2019 18:51

Hi all. I retired a couple of years ago and am finally getting around to addressing my vinyl and open reel tape transcription project. I was interested to see agreement on 24bit/96kHz FLAC as the format. I have mostly Mac computer equipment so was initially thinking of using Apple Lossless. While LP's can be easily re-recorded my tape collection cannot as the condition of the tape is deteriorating. For this reason I want to get the best possible recording as there may not be a second chance. I currently have a Red DragonFly USB A/D that will handle 24bit/96kHz FLAC or Apple Lossless, so I have a play back solution. What I need some advice on is what to use on the recording side. I have a little ADS unit but it does not generate 24bit/96kHz files. I started looking at pro gear but was quickly overwhelmed with features I do not need. I only need two channel audio line level in and ? USB or thunderbolt connection to my iMac. I also would appreciate advice on a simple Mac software package to allow recording process control and post conversion into standard CD format. Last question is if anyone has used SpotifyHiFi as a library manager for play back of the FLAC files. Thanks for your help.
Doug