Grateful dead concert tapes

the mix tape forum
liamsponaugle22
United States of America

Grateful dead concert tapes

Post by liamsponaugle22 » 05 May 2019 14:40

I recently found a lot of my dad's concert tapes from numerous dead shows dating all the way back to the late1960s and thru the early 1980s. Does anyone know how I would be able to turn these cassettes into a digital version to make sure I always have the recordings. Also, would there be people who'd want to listen to these? I could upload them to YouTube or something.

Thanks

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Grateful dead concert tapes

Post by Pauw » 05 May 2019 16:04

The Dead is probably the most recorded band in history. They actively promoted taping of their concerts and as such there are hundreds of their concerts on the net for free .....

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 05 May 2019 17:34

https://tascam.com/us/product/202mkvii/top

Brand new cassette deck - connects straight to your computer.

Lots of Deadhead tapes out there - I've heard many that are total crap. If the tapes were made from a board feed, then they could be OK. In most cases I think the value of the tapes are the nostalgia they bring (I'm not a Dead fan, myself)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 31 May 2019 21:14

Pauw wrote:
05 May 2019 16:04
The Dead is probably the most recorded band in history. They actively promoted taping of their concerts and as such there are hundreds of their concerts on the net for free .....
Don't know what's in your Dad's repository, however, this is just one of the sites where entire Dead concerts reside:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=gr ... ad%20tapes

My record store owner friend have / had tons of Dead cassette tapes which he now sells off at the store, especially since they're available online for free. Listening to the archives, it sounds like many are right "off the board" so you can make a quality comparison of what you've got against what's streaming..... :-k

Tapes from the late 60's might be of interest as they may have some solid Pigpen (Ron McKernan) performances..... =D>

Sugar Megs is another site with concert sets.

Sure makes me wonder about vinyl bootlegs now...... :?

Fred

chgc

Post by chgc » 18 Jun 2019 15:45

Assuming you have a tape player, a computer, and the appropriate cable, you could download Audacity for free and connect your player to the audio input on the computer. If there is no audio in on your computer, you could use a usb interface, like a Behringer UFO202.

michaelrandrews

Post by michaelrandrews » 18 Jun 2019 17:37

I have a box of Dead Tapes (300) free to a good home. Pick up in Napa, CA