Marantz SX72 - How to operate?

the mix tape forum
ariendj

Marantz SX72 - How to operate?

Post by ariendj » 01 Apr 2019 21:14

I just got a Marantz SX 72 A/D converter with click suppression. So far I've not quite grasped what some of the buttons on it do. Does anyone here have any experience operating this piece of gear? I did not get a manual with it unfortunately.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Re: Marantz SX72 - How to operate?

Post by zlartibartfast » 01 Apr 2019 23:34

Looks like these guys have copies of the owner's manual for sale

https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/m ... anual.html#

Maybe just hooking it up and fiddling with it will get you the results you are looking for?

ariendj

Post by ariendj » 02 Apr 2019 00:37

zlartibartfast wrote:
01 Apr 2019 23:34
Maybe just hooking it up and fiddling with it will get you the results you are looking for?
Well it at least gives me a rough idea on how it might work... It's quite quirky though:

It has a "bypass" button, with that active the device does nothing. Makes sense.

Next there is the "output filter" button. With "bypass" off, having "output filter" either on or off always engages the click suppression. No idea why this is. If bypass active, the "output filter" LED deactivates and there is no more suppression.

I just can't figure out by ear what the difference between having "output filter" either "on" or "off" is (with the unit not in "bypass" mode, i.e. suppression is active).

Then there are the "suppression level" buttons. There's "up" and "down", both with an LED. At first both LEDs are off. Then when you press either up or down, the corresponding LED lights up. But it seems as though you can press "up" or "down" multiple times to increase (or decrease?) the (what?) effect. I can't figure out how many levels of "up" and "down" there are nor do I understand what they do sound-wise.

I'll keep looking for a free version of the manual. The sites that offer the PDF for $5 don't look like they actually have the (copy-)right to be selling this... I think it's perfectly fine to put the manual on VE for free. But a site that's charging money for something they don't own smells kinda like piracy for profit...