vinyl ripping with quad 33/303 amplifier

the mix tape forum
Gijsert
Netherlands

vinyl ripping with quad 33/303 amplifier

Post by Gijsert » 28 Jan 2019 17:29

hi,

I received my hrt linestreamer+ ADC today, which I have connected to my quad 33 phono pre-amp of my 33/303 combination. However I can't get the soundlevel up to -6db, even when the volume of the 33 is fully open.

My idea is now to connect the linestreamer to the 303 end amplifier instead of to the 33, with banana plugs to male rca cables. Is this a good idea and will it solve my output level problem? Please help if you have any experience with this!

Kind regards,

Gijs

bernard1
France

Re: vinyl ripping with quad 33/303 amplifier

Post by bernard1 » 28 Jan 2019 17:42

What do you want to do exactly ? Recording from a Turntable connected to the Quad 33 disc input ? The linestreamer has to be connected to the output tape din socket, and you must set the replay level on the tape board on H.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 28 Jan 2019 17:49

By the way, the level of the tape output signal is fixed, and the main volume setting has no effect on it.
And connecting the linestreamer to the 303 speakers output ??? Is that what you mean ?

Gijsert
Netherlands

Post by Gijsert » 28 Jan 2019 18:47

yes, i've tried to connect it to the disc output, so the signal strength is adjustable. and I am trying to record my turntable signal connected to the disc input. and my solution is to connect the linestreamer to the 303 speaker output indeed. Sorry for the unclear description.

old bob

Post by old bob » 28 Jan 2019 22:28

It is not a good idea to use the speaker output, the input of the HRT can be easily overloaded.

I have owned a HRT Linestreamer + for several years and one of its a big weakness of the HRT is that it does not have any control over the input sensitivity. I had the same problem that the output of my phono stage being on the low side for HRT sensitivity and tried a number of options in the end I put up with recording at a low level and accepting it. If your level is to low then the best option is connect the pre amp output to the the input of the HRT, I assume that the 33 only has one output to drive the power amp. You will need to make up a lead to do this, unplug the power amp and connect the HRT to that and not the line outs from the pre amp, you then can control the output with the pre amp, it will need a high volume to do this so is likely to be too much to use the power amp to monitor. I found the only way to monitor the recording was to use a separate head phone amplifier driven from the tape output and use head phones.

I have since ditched the HRT as it started to give me problems (possible caused by overloading at some stage) an moved to a Schiit Jill and have found a big improvement. It has a gain control and I can now set a good level from my phono stage. it only has three record levels but these are 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 but these are the only ones I would use. The Schiit also has its own power supply which is a small linear power supply and is quieter than taking a switch mode supply from the PC.

I have some great recordings via the HRT so hope you get it sorted it does need to be driven from a pre amp not the speaker output.

Gijsert
Netherlands

Post by Gijsert » 30 Jan 2019 16:16

Thank you very much! I’ve tried the disc output already, but the signal is very weak. I hope I can return it and I think I’ll also buy the jil then. Thanks again.

Kind regards, Gijs

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 30 Jan 2019 16:31

I tried vinyl ripping by recording the signal from the tape output of the Quad 33 directly in the line input of a PC sound card and it was fine.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 31 Mar 2019 19:15

Gijsert wrote:
30 Jan 2019 16:16
Thank you very much! I’ve tried the disc output already, but the signal is very weak. I hope I can return it and I think I’ll also buy the jil then. Thanks again.

Kind regards, Gijs
Exactly what do you mean by disc output? You can't record directly from the TT's output.