Is Audacity or Adobe Audition better for vinyl ripping?

the mix tape forum
Dimal
Australia

Re: Is Audacity or Adobe Audition better for vinyl ripping?

Post by Dimal » 27 Nov 2018 13:05

This from the current Audacity Wiki...

"Exclusive Mode under WASAPI does in principle allow bit-perfect audio transfer without emulation, but this is not yet possible in Audacity. The Windows WASAPI "Host" choice introduced in Audacity 2.0.4 only allows emulated output. As a result, the Device Toolbar output slider only scales the system output slider's current level up or down rather than directly manipulating that system slider. The only WASAPI input available so far is for loopback recording of computer playback. Although 24-bit loopback recording is possible, the sample rate of the input is fixed at 44100 Hz."

Seems to indicate that 24bit recording may yet not be possible???

Mal.

jspink

Post by jspink » 27 Nov 2018 13:29

Also taken from the Audacity Wiki ...
PortAudio doesn't support 24-bit recording on MME or Windows DirectSound, but from Audacity 2.0.4 onwards, current Audacity releases support 24-bit recording under Windows WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS (assuming 24-bit capable hardware).
Seems to suggest it does :D

https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Auda ... tAudio_v19

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 27 Nov 2018 13:58

As long as Audacity does not have direct access to sound card hardware, you aren't getting a true 24 bit depth audio capture.
It is as simple as that.

On Linux, you need ALSA, and on Windows you need ASIO to achieve direct access to sound card hardware.

If you like and enjoy your 24 bit depth recording with Audacity on Windows, then all is fine in my opinion...

You probably just aren't as nitpicking as I am... :-)

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 27 Nov 2018 16:44

Doesn't supporting WASAPI as current versions of Audacity do mean that you have direct access to the sound card? Support for ASIO has been dropped as WASAPI does it better.

The version of Audacity I'm using supports WASAPI.

jspink

Post by jspink » 27 Nov 2018 17:22

JoeE SP9 wrote:
27 Nov 2018 16:44
Doesn't supporting WASAPI as current versions of Audacity do mean that you have direct access to the sound card? Support for ASIO has been dropped as WASAPI does it better.
That's what I've been trying to get across :D .

Although technically Audacity has not dropped support for ASIO, it has never come bundled with it because of Steinberg's licensing restrictions. If you want ASIO support in Audacity, then you have to compile it yourself and include the ASIO libraries, which I did when I was using Windows 7. Now with Windows 10 and WASAPI, there is no need for ASIO.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 27 Nov 2018 21:51

jspink wrote:
27 Nov 2018 17:22
JoeE SP9 wrote:
27 Nov 2018 16:44
That's what I've been trying to get across :D .

Although technically Audacity has not dropped support for ASIO, it has never come bundled with it because of Steinberg's licensing restrictions. If you want ASIO support in Audacity, then you have to compile it yourself and include the ASIO libraries, which I did when I was using Windows 7. Now with Windows 10 and WASAPI, there is no need for ASIO.
If you really want to confirm this (like I did) fire up Audacity and set it up to use WASAPI, while Audacity is still running, just do anything that can cause Windows to play a system sound.
In my test, I heard the Windows system sound, and that meant that Audacity did not have exclusive access to the sound card.
I use Izotope Rx, and when it is running (ASIO), no other application can access my sound card.
That is how it should be in my opinion. Direct hardware access locks down the sound card, no other application will be able to access it until it is free.

jspink

Post by jspink » 28 Nov 2018 08:49

Well, I guess some people can't be convinced no matter how much evidence you put before them ... flac analysis option, file sizes, quote from the Audacity wiki, if you look through the Audacity source code, specifically the PortAudio section there is even an explanation in the comments about it and how using exclusive mode bypasses Windows tinkering with it.

So, this is my last comment on the subject, Windows 10 (WASAPI) with suitable hardware can record audio in true 24-bit depth and no amount of denying it will change that. @balky, if you are still not convinced then we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for the original question, is Audacity or Adobe Audition better for vinyl ripping? As far as I'm concerned, Audacity is the best option, it is free (although I would encourage anyone using it to make a donation), it can do all the basic stuff for a rip like capture, slice individual tracks and export directly as flac and the source code is freely available if you want to compile it yourself with ASIO support in it.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 28 Nov 2018 10:23

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on the WASAPI discussion...

IMO, Audacity is good enough for what it is, given it is freeware... but for me, I would prefer the Adobe Audition if they remove the yearly subscription (greed) idea.

I currently use Izotope Rx6 (bought Rx7 upgrade) and Sonar Cakewalk depending on my mood.
Apart from the full ASIO support, the audio cleaning tools in Audacity are a joke, compared to the ones in Izotope Rx.

It usually boils down to how far you're willing to go.

Hermetech Mastering
Jamaica

Post by Hermetech Mastering » 19 Dec 2018 14:34

iZotope RX7 Advanced here. Does a great job.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 19 Dec 2018 14:48

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
19 Dec 2018 14:34
iZotope RX7 Advanced here. Does a great job.
I did install my RX7 and tested it briefly... does a great job indeed...

Bonzo_Dog

Post by Bonzo_Dog » 06 Jan 2019 15:09

I'm using Audacity 2.3.0 (using WASAPI) for ripping 24/96 with the HRT Linestreamer+ as ADC on a Windows 10 laptop. The rest of the work is done using iZotope RX7 Standard on a desktop Windows 10 PC. I don't know Adobe Audition, but Audacity is IMHO working perfect for ripping. The files are saved as 32-bit float WAV. They end up as 16/44 FLAC.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 02 Jul 2019 00:26

Here's an easy straight forward procedure that may reveal whether or not Audacity is using the audio device directly and bypassing the Windows audio subsystem. Or if the Windows audio subsystem is MITM.

Set Audacity audio host to WASAPI
Start monitoring the device record volume level with Audacity
Open the Windows sound recording devices
Open the properties of the device
Select the levels tab
Alter the volume level and/or balance

If Audacity volume level and/or balance changes then the Windows audio subsystem is MITM or Audacity has not taking exclusively control, thus allowing Windows to control the device volume (probably bit depth and sample rate as well).

Is this an accurate/reliable method to determine if Audacity is using the device directly and in exclusive control?