Whats The Best USB Audio Interface For Ripping Vinyl

the mix tape forum
academia50

Re: Whats The Best USB Audio Interface For Ripping Vinyl

Post by academia50 » 08 Apr 2018 20:04

academia50 wrote:
rich12 wrote:There is no free lunch. The Oppo cannot convert analog to digital because it doesn't have the required circuitry . It only has circuitry for converting digital to analog.
Ok.Obviously I have interpreted the text of the link with great enthusiasm.... 8)
But what would humanity be if the scientists did not ask themselves impossible? :mrgreen:
Thanks........ :(
I found this ...

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/pr ... sonica-dac

" Aside from the wireless inputs – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Apple AirPlay – and its asynchronous USB connection for computers and USB host socket for storage devices, the Sonica DAC also has optical and coaxial digital inputs, and a single analogue input on RCA phonos. Using that last one, even an analogue source, including a turntable via a suitable phono pre-amp, can be digitised and shared with Sonica wireless speakers. Completing the connectivity are 12V trigger in/out sockets, for example to enable a suitable power amplifier to be switched on and off by the DAC."

Here it is stated that OSDAC can digitize and then convert to analog. It is an unnecessary step for optimum fidelity, if you intend to use it as a preamplifier, it would be a double conversion and I have read that in the resulting sound there is no improvement. It would only be logical if you use an MC preamp. But it is clear that there is an analog to digital converter. Only I have left the doubt if that conversion has digital output by the USB connector indicated in the previous post with an orange circle.
I'll have to do tests, although it's not something I need immediately. I will inform you ...

academia50

Post by academia50 » 08 Apr 2018 23:06

rich12 wrote:There is no free lunch. The Oppo cannot convert analog to digital because it doesn't have the required circuitry . It only has circuitry for converting digital to analog.

From the Oppo manual :

AUX Audio Input
You can connect an audio device with a stereo analog output into the AUX IN of Sonica DAC using a pair
of audio interconnect cables. The input signal will be digitized and made available for streaming to other
Sonica speakers on your network, and at the same time will be converted back to analog via the RCA
and XLR outputs. To select this source as the streaming audio input for your Sonica speakers, select AUX
IN as the source from the Sonica app or using the Source Selection screen on the Front Panel Display.   
Certain analog audio devices, such as phono preamplifiers and turntables, might have a separate ground
wire. Connecting the ground wire to the ground terminal on Sonica DAC is optional. If connecting the
ground wire to Sonica DAC does not result in lower noise, it is not necessary for you to do so.
Note: Input signal from AUX IN passes through analog‐to‐digital and digital‐to‐analog conversions
before it reaches the XLR or RCA outputs.
Although the signal quality is still excellent, this is quite
different than passing the same signal through an analog pre‐amplifier. For this reason Sonica DAC is not
recommended as a replacement for a pre‐amplifier for analog audio signals.

I have consulted with Oppo technical support a while ago, I will inform the answer as soon as they answer me.

rich12

Post by rich12 » 09 Apr 2018 18:37

That's not the best way to record LPs. When you use the correct equipment (i.e. a standalone digital recorder, a USB interface with a built in analog to digital converter, or a phono preamp with a built in analog to digital converter, there's only ONE conversion...from analog to digital. If you attempt to use the Oppo, you'll convert THREE times, from analog to digital, from digital to analog, then analog to digital again, and the sound will degrade. There's no guarantee that you will hear it, but the sound will have degraded. A critical listener using top flight gear could hear it. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but you would likely get better sound just connecting analog phono preamp outputs directly into a computer (not my preferred method), than you'll get using the Oppo. The Oppo is unnecessary.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 09 Apr 2018 22:11

You were wrong. Everything you say is unnecessary, because I have mentioned it before and what you recommend is elementary on the one hand and on the other it does not work for me. I do not have line entry in my network. Only USB
There are people who if they do not win, want to at least equal, never recognize an error. ..... this is the world ..... :? :mrgreen:

rich12

Post by rich12 » 10 Apr 2018 01:13

academia50 wrote:You were wrong. Everything you say is unnecessary, because I have mentioned it before and what you recommend is elementary on the one hand and on the other it does not work for me. I do not have line entry in my network. Only USB
There are people who if they do not win, want to at least equal, never recognize an error. ..... this is the world ..... :? :mrgreen:
Uh...no. When you connect the Oppo, you won't get an output. Nowhere in that excerpt from the manual did they reference the USB interface.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 10 Apr 2018 04:51

If you say it ......

http://biblehub.com/proverbs/26-4.htm

Bye

Hermetech Mastering
Jamaica

Post by Hermetech Mastering » 10 Apr 2018 08:29

Jesus H Christ on a bike, with a twirling lawnmower...

:roll:

academia50

Post by academia50 » 11 Apr 2018 02:00

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Jesus H Christ on a bike, with a twirling lawnmower...

:roll:

" Who gets where he should not receive what he does not seek "

https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=rx ... ek&f=false

Read with patience and you will find what exactly fits your poor technocratic personality

academia50

Post by academia50 » 11 Apr 2018 02:03

Bye for you too :toilet:

Hermetech Mastering
Jamaica

Post by Hermetech Mastering » 11 Apr 2018 09:21

Natas Liah!

:evil:

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 24 Apr 2018 02:37

So far, best interface I've used for ripping vinyl is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD. It has both line in and phono in RCA inputs. So whether you are outputting direct from turntable or from line out of preamp you are good to go. I record to Roxio's Easy LP to mp3 software, then create tracks and apply pop filter. I will burn this recording to CD and import CD to iTunes. With this procedure, iTunes will seek track titles from input of Artist/Album metadata, which precludes me from having to manually input track titles.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 24 Apr 2018 20:32

I'm no longer a Mac user, so pardon my ignorance.
It seems like there is probably an easier way to do this.
The step of burning a CD just so you can import it to itunes seems wasteful, probably unnecessary, and also likely to cause some sonic degradation, since you are converting one lossy file format to another lossy file format.
I bet there is software available that will allow you to import an ISO file to iTunes and automatically apply the song titles, etc., without having to actually burn a physical CD.
-or-
I also imagine there is an automatic file tagger for Mac, similar to MP3Tag (Windows) that will link the tags to the MP3 before import to iTunes.
But, as I said, I'm not a Mac user and I'm unlikely to ever be one again. Maybe there is no easy way to do this.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 25 Apr 2018 11:50

Sunwire wrote:I'm no longer a Mac user, so pardon my ignorance.
It seems like there is probably an easier way to do this.
The step of burning a CD just so you can import it to itunes seems wasteful, probably unnecessary, and also likely to cause some sonic degradation, since you are converting one lossy file format to another lossy file format.
I bet there is software available that will allow you to import an ISO file to iTunes and automatically apply the song titles, etc., without having to actually burn a physical CD.
-or-
I also imagine there is an automatic file tagger for Mac, similar to MP3Tag (Windows) that will link the tags to the MP3 before import to iTunes.
But, as I said, I'm not a Mac user and I'm unlikely to ever be one again. Maybe there is no easy way to do this.
I'm not a Mac user. I'm running Windows 10 on PC. At any rate, there's nothing lossless. The recording is a wav file and the CD made from it is 16/44.1. That CD can be imported lossless, compressed or not compressed. Now, here's why first burning a CD before importing to iTunes is the way to go: 1. Since the recording from LP is a wav file adding metadata to it, like song titles, is a time consuming hassle, which can easily crash, making the effort a waste of time. 2.Unless all metadata is typed in, which is likely impossible, each track will be imported into music library as an album, and trying to then put all of these into one new album will take literally hours of work, especially if the divergence between tracks which have precluded them from being placed in the same album is not initially known, and 3. Simply by burning a CD of the LP before metadata consideration, the finished CD can be imported to iTunes, whereby iTunes will discover and insert song metadata in a few seconds, just given notice of album title and album artist being typed in by me; and, thus, all tracks in one album import is assured. With this process I have the highest quality and complete metadata to easily play the album or parts of it in all possible manner. Most importantly is this is the fastest method of getting LP's SUCCESSFULY to iTunes without any need to readdress metadata.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 25 Apr 2018 20:47

Sterling1 -
A few comments:
I don't know what "there is nothing lossless" means. WAV, FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, and ALAC are all lossless formats.
I save my LP rips as FLAC files.

How are you splitting your LP rips into separate song tracks?
Once this is done, MP3tag can automatically apply all the metadata to each track, as long as the album is found in one of the several online databases from which MP3tag can download metadata. It is very rare I find an album that's not in one of the databases.
No need to type in all the data.
It can do this with WAV, FLAC, MP3, and (I think) the other formats listed above (I haven't tried those formats). And I think WAV may have some metadata limitations, but since I never use WAV, I am not aware of the details.

I use foobar for playback, not iTunes, so I don't know what other complications iTunes brings into the process. But once my tracks have metadata applied, foobar can display all that metadata when the file is opened in foobar.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 25 Apr 2018 23:25

"you are converting one lossy file format to another lossy file format" is what you said. I said there is nothing lossless, since recording to produce a wav file is lossless and producing a CD from such file is lossless. I import the CD to iTunes in ALAC, which is also lossless and can contain metadata unlike wav. Here's how I do it: I create tracks of the recording while in the recording software, leaving them unidentified. I burn a CD of the recording, then import the CD to iTunes, letting iTunes automatically find track metadata. Why, because it's fast, easy, and accurate. So far, iTunes has not labeled any track incorrectly. This is one reason I prefer iTunes to other search engines. Once imported to iTunes in ALAC, I can move the file anywhere and to any music player, even converting it to another lossless format if I wish, although I've not had a need to do that. From iTunes, the ALAC file is recognized on all of my iTunes synchronized devices, like another laptop, iPhone, and iPad. This means I can enjoy my digitized LP at home, on the road, or in the backyard. So, the bottom line here is I have quality as good as it gets, that's to say, the digitized LP sounds as good as the LP, maybe better, since I apply a pop filter; and, the file is as quick to produce as it is adaptable to playback on ANY device. There are no complications iTunes brings into the process. iTunes in fact eliminates complications while it makes the whole process so easy a cave man could do it. I prefer iTunes to both J. River Media Center and foobar2000.