the mix tape forum
Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Whats The Best USB Audio Interface For Ripping Vinyl

Post by Sunwire » 10 Jan 2018 22:56

Yeah, I've been doing it for years. :)
Just trying to nail down the best cartridge/tonearm combination.
The digital part is fine.

Brian_DURN

Post by Brian_DURN » 08 Mar 2018 16:28

Maybe a bit late for this post. Have been using the ART USB Phono Plus for over two years and have found it to be reliable and effective in interfacing my transcription unit with my PC. With this unit you can choose to either output the signal as a “line “level or send it to the A to D converter within the ART for forwarding to the PC. There is also the option to use TOSLINK in/out and S/PDIF in. Have spent many hours trying to compare the difference between the A to D of the ART unit and the A to D of the sound card. In terms of music quality there is little difference to my ears, however, using the ART does make a big difference in isolation digital noise generated by the PC. The ART USB Phono PLUS does seem to have collected a number of good reviews.

jochvomberg

Post by jochvomberg » 15 Mar 2018 11:40

Hi
i use a SHIIT JIL usb A/D converter 24bit 192 khz
my phono preamp is a Project Tubebox DS
Turntable Yamaha PX 3 with Naganoka MP 110
Recording Softwear is Audacity on Laptop running only with Accu,
cause electrical disorder.
I have many Recordings Load to Youtube and Soundcloud(flac)
Just type in Youtubesearch Joch Vomberg.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 27 Mar 2018 16:19

Seems my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD works really well. I record to Roxio Software, create tracks, apply pop filter,and then record to CD instead of importing the wav file, which rarely carries metadata to allow the import to be in a singular album. Making a CD, I can then import to iTunes, inserting metadata for naming of tracks.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 31 Mar 2018 22:13

Hello
I was reading this thread with great interest. It's been a while since I stopped using desktop computers. Currently I use a fairly limited Netbook (like all, obviously) in its D / A converter. I recently bought an Oppo Sonica DAC, I was thinking how useful it could be to digitize vinyls with good analog quality.
I was thinking about entering by RCA in from a high-level equalized output and out by USB type B to USB type A of the netbook.

What do you think? Has anyone used the SDAC to digitize ?

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/
Attachments
Sonica-DAC_back-hr.jpg
(519.5 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Apr 2018 14:59

You could use the OPPO as an interface, no problem, unless you want to record at the OPPOs highest output with recording software which may only allow up to let's say 16/48 input. In such case you would need to output at no more than a 16/48 rate. Audacity will allow you to record at hi-res; but, if you are using something like Roxio Easy LP to mp3 software you indeed would not be able to record at more than 16/48. You might then say why use Roxio software rather than Audacity, which is free and allows a higher recording rate? The answer is the Roxio software is less complicated for the same results when you just want to get a great file of what's actually on the record but without pops.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 01 Apr 2018 16:59

Sterling1 wrote:You could use the OPPO as an interface, no problem, unless you want to record at the OPPOs highest output with recording software which may only allow up to let's say 16/48 input. In such case you would need to output at no more than a 16/48 rate. Audacity will allow you to record at hi-res; but, if you are using something like Roxio Easy LP to mp3 software you indeed would not be able to record at more than 16/48. You might then say why use Roxio software rather than Audacity, which is free and allows a higher recording rate? The answer is the Roxio software is less complicated for the same results when you just want to get a great file of what's actually on the record but without pops.
Hi Sterling, thanks for your response

I understand the limitation of data transfer, there is no problem there because I just want to digitize some 78 rpm shellac discs and maybe some 33 1/3 rpm vinyl. Maybe the maximum quality of the Oppo analog sound is not used, but I would be very comfortable because I already have the whole installation very accessible.

That is to say that in spite of indicating digital "entrance" " IN" , in the Oppo, the USB port type B, to the being a bidereccional device will act as an "exit" " OUT "? I have a confusion there.
I have installed Audacity but I have not really used it for anything other than for speaker tests as a generator of sinusoidal tones.

You say it does not suppress "clicks and pops" and the Roxio does?

Rolando

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Apr 2018 18:52

Audacity will address pops. The feature is adjustable and you can isolate specific pops to repair. Since you already have Audacity, might as well use it. I like its features; but, I am used to using Roxio Easy LP to mp3 software. There is one thing I do not like about Roxio, I have a difficult time adding track metadata. It can be very time consuming. So, now, after separating tracks I Burn a CD rather than attempting to export the file to iTunes. Once the CD is finished, iTunes asks if I want to import it, as well as asking if I want to add metadata. I check yes to both. I like this arrangement, since it only requires me to enter album title and artist. The iTunes metadata retrieval service does the rest, and, so far, it has been flawless. It can add track metadata in seconds, whereas if I attempt to enter it by hand it might take an hour or two. At any rate, that's more info than you wanted; but, you might want to take the rip to CD route as I suggested, then, import to your music library.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 02 Apr 2018 00:40

Sterling1

Ok. That's clear. I will use the Audacity when the time comes, because I bought an old Lenco B-55 to spin the shellac discs at 78 RPM, but I am conditioning it. She is very mistreated and the first thing she needs is the change of the tonearm V-Blocks. But I can not get them around here,in my country, so I'll have to make them.
I will inform you when there is news. .

Greetings and thanks

P.S:

Again, in SDAC Oppo, the USB B IN port also serves as a digital output? Can anyone confirm this to me ? If it is bidirectional I understand that I would have to transmit bits in both directions, is not it?
I do not want to do tests for fear of damaging some of the artifacts .....

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 02 Apr 2018 10:35

I have no experience with the Sonica to understand if it usb port is bidirectional, seems like it should be since the Sonica is a essentially an external sound card. What you can do to know for sure is go to the OPPO web site and download the manual.

rich12

Post by rich12 » 02 Apr 2018 15:02

The Oppo is a digital to analog converter. For recording, you need an analog to digital converter, not a DAC.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 02 Apr 2018 23:41

Sterling1 wrote:I have no experience with the Sonica to understand if it usb port is bidirectional, seems like it should be since the Sonica is a essentially an external sound card. What you can do to know for sure is go to the OPPO web site and download the manual.

Yes, I read the manual. It does not talk about possibility of recording with Oppo SDAC
Thank you for dispelling my doubts.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 03 Apr 2018 00:04

rich12 wrote:The Oppo is a digital to analog converter. For recording, you need an analog to digital converter, not a DAC.

Yes,I know, but for a moment I thought about using the quality of a good DAC to rip vinyl and the question arose.

What if ......? .why not ?

Look at this, I think my solution would be to use the USB type A connection with the same USB type A that the computer has.

"A" connectors head "upstream" toward the computer.
"B" connectors head "downstream" and connect to individual devices.
By using different connectors on the upstream and downstream end, it's impossible to ever get confused -- if you connect any USB cable's "B" connector into a device, you know that it'll work. Similarly, you can plug any "A" connector into any "A" socket and know that it'll work.

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb1.htm

Maybe find a free lunch here... :o

Thanks for answering
Attachments
Sonica-DAC_back-hr b.jpg
(535.12 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

rich12

Post by rich12 » 03 Apr 2018 22:35

There is no free lunch. The Oppo cannot convert analog to digital because it doesn't have the required circuitry . It only has circuitry for converting digital to analog.

academia50

Post by academia50 » 04 Apr 2018 07:01

rich12 wrote:There is no free lunch. The Oppo cannot convert analog to digital because it doesn't have the required circuitry . It only has circuitry for converting digital to analog.
Ok.Obviously I have interpreted the text of the link with great enthusiasm.... 8)
But what would humanity be if the scientists did not ask themselves impossible? :mrgreen:
Thanks........ :(