Any 8-track lovers out there?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Any 8-track lovers out there?

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2017 07:09

I was taking a look at 62vauxhall's collection here on a separate thread...

...and wondered if any of you guys had any 8-track tapes in your collections...One of my earliest remembrances was my dad pulling a box like this out of the trash, filled with 8-track tapes from the likes of Tim Buckley, Slade, Van Morrison, Deep Purple, Peter Frampton and many other rock and country artists...

I also saw this fascinating documentary...

These are interesting, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcDNOG3nqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPCon07Gjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxztnKAUjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYi1i02CrvY

Over the years, I've collected quite a few 8-tracks myself...While not as big as
62vauxhall's collection, this is one of my favorite little machines that I pull out for fun on occasion...Still works, too!

Do any of you guys still have your 8-tracks? Have you recently picked up some for fun? What's your favorite and/or rarest 8-track in the collection? Do you have more than one favorite? Is there one that is really hard to find on the 8-track format? And what do you use to play them on? I have a few assorted machines at my disposal, but I think the colorful portable players are a lot of fun, even if not totally HIGH FIDELITY...Maybe some of you have an old car that still has the 8-track player intact, which would have been standard equipment back in the day...If nothing else, they are an interesting footnote of audio history and as such, I think, deserve to get a mention here...And since we have several cassette-based threads, I thought the lowly 8-track should get one of it's own...

If you guys have any cool 8-tracks and/or 8-track players, make sure to show them off here, too! 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Any 8-track lovers out there?

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Sep 2017 09:14

Wow, talk about your wall of sound! 8)

I don't currently have a player but have had several including recorders in the past and actually like the format which I think gets a lot of unwarranted flack. A couple of advantages are the wider tape and the higher tape speed. It was also perfect for a quad system.

I still no people who have players and play them.

I like your portable player but is it red or orange?
(Sometimes the color doesn't show up right with certain lighting in photos.)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2017 10:04

Hey Tink...It's more like a "Fire Engine Red" with maybe a tint of orange to it...While mine's a GE, I've always loved these unusual Panasonics, too...

I believe the model there was the RQ-830S, otherwise known as the "TNT Plunger", due to it's odd shape...Even the ads described it so...

Sounds like dynamite and a blast to own! What more could you want? :wink:
Last edited by vinyl master on 22 Sep 2017 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Sep 2017 10:18

The Weltron 2001 model "space balls" were out of this world, too! 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Sep 2017 10:39

I really have to give those examples top marks for both unique and attractive designs.

I would be worried about the Space Ball models falling over and rolling across the floor.

As a sci-fi fan I can relate to them. You should check out 2001 a Space Odyssey in Blu-Ray for unique space age designs sometime.

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 22 Sep 2017 12:22

As a sci-fi fan I can relate to them. You should check out 2001 a Space Odyssey in Blu-Ray for unique space age designs sometime.
[/quote]

Great movie!! No CGI Some 40 odd minutes of voice dialog in an almost 3 hour movie captivating. Those almost look like the Pods. Open the Pod bay door HAL :twisted:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Sep 2017 10:18

tckmet wrote:
Great movie!! No CGI Some 40 odd minutes of voice dialog in an almost 3 hour movie captivating. Those almost look like the Pods. Open the Pod bay door HAL :twisted:[/quote]

I have it on Laserdisc as well as Blu-Ray. I watched it again yesterday with and without commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood. It is one of those movies that isn't straight forward, and most people don't get it since it requires a lot of thought and seeing it several times.

I like the fact it isn't CGI (which often looks too fake or unrealistic), love the designs, the color, the cinematography and the music. The dialogue though minimalist doesn't overwhelm the imagery and music, and HAL takes on a life and personality that is very human with all of our fear and paranoia.

The pods were pretty cool as were the brightly colored, stylish space suits they used.

Also 1968 Star Trek came out which many people didn't appreciate at the time either.

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 23 Sep 2017 21:38

https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.net/s ... Y1crHA.jpg

8-Track fan here! I love classical music on my H-R100! =D>

Mine is a bit more minty than this example, but great photo from collector's weekly! :o

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 23 Sep 2017 22:03

Hey Tink a year later we landed on the moon and Led Zeppelin had their debut album, I actually saw the movie in the theater at the age of 8.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 22:37

So, it looks like Frank has become the latest 8-track lover, although through no fault of his own...

I don't know about BEST fidelity, but it sure looks like a very fun experience and a totally different format for him, to be sure! =D>

To be honest, my dad had one of those Lloyd's standalone models, similar to his Pioneer...One day, if I ever find it (which he may still have socked away somewhere), I may have to hook it up and play around with it for fun! :wink:

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 06 Dec 2019 13:37

I have a few hundred carts, mostly from an estate sale. The Realistic deck I have is like new, and works perfectly. It can be a lot of fun to connect them. Admittedly, I rarely play them. When I do, they either sound warm, with great stereo separation and staging, to muddy and worn. But they do play.

It's a terrible format, but a heck of a lot of fun to collect and use on occasion.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Dec 2019 20:38

Well, Frank keeps getting more of them...and yes, they are a lot of fun to collect! 8)