radio, tape, stands and accessories
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: 1950's RCA 45 record player

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Dec 2019 22:00

Hi Hugh,

I know this is a few years old, but if you are still interested in connecting this changer to your stereo system, tell me which schemo is closest to your unit and I'll mark it up to permit that. I assume that you did something similar to your RP 190 for the cartridge.

Phil
Hugues TR4 wrote:
09 Apr 2015 15:52
Hi Phil,

I enclose the schematic for the 9EY3 changer, featuring the RP168.

Scan0001.jpg

It is published in Phil Vourtsis'book..
All I did was make an extension directly from the muting switch, in parallel with the wires coming from the tonearm, going out through a female RCA plug fitted in the plinth.
All I get is a loud hum through the speaker...
If you have an idea...
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Hugh.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 05 Dec 2019 09:20

Hi Phil,

Long time no seen! Thanks for replying and for your comments.
Hope you are well and that your own 190 is spinning fine in stereo!
Actually, my question was: will I hear any difference through the speaker if I change all the ageing caps and resistors?
And then: is it worth doing all this, to what result?
I must admit that the present (original 1949) set up is producing quite a lot of heat and lacks of refinement in the sound through the speaker (too much treble and a bit "nasal").
Of course this might also be caused by the size/quality of the speaker itself, as well as the bakélite which encloses it.
I haven't started re-opening the beast yet, waiting for an advice…
As for connecting this unit to my stereo system, I will come back to this after resolving the first question.
Thanks again for your input!
Cheers,

Hugh

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Dec 2019 21:01

Hi Hugh,

I would expect your record player to sound about like a better AA5 radio of the period with perhaps a little better high frequency response. AM at the time was limited to ~ 5 Khz.

If the electrolytics are bad there will be a lot of hum. It is hard to imagine the OEM electrolytics still being good. The wax paper caps may still be good but they do fail. A leaky one between the stages will upset the bias on the output tube and cause distortion (and the tube to run hot). Ceramic caps are likely still good. Carbon comp resistors may have drifted off value, especially the high resistance values (>1 meg Ohm).

Changing the passive components would be a reasonable thing to do. They aren't very expensive and it should not take too much time.

If you want to hear what the RP168 and the cartridge you have in it are capable of, connect the motor ONLY to 120 volts AC and take the cartridge signal right from the muting switch (disconnect the OEM electronics) and connect it to your stereo via the same network you use with your RP190. That will let you compare the RP168 to the RP190 (I'd like to know the answer to that) as well as get an idea what is the best which you can achieve with the desk top player.

Phil
Hugues TR4 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 09:20
Hi Phil,

Long time no seen! Thanks for replying and for your comments.
Hope you are well and that your own 190 is spinning fine in stereo!
Actually, my question was: will I hear any difference through the speaker if I change all the ageing caps and resistors?
And then: is it worth doing all this, to what result?
I must admit that the present (original 1949) set up is producing quite a lot of heat and lacks of refinement in the sound through the speaker (too much treble and a bit "nasal").
Of course this might also be caused by the size/quality of the speaker itself, as well as the bakélite which encloses it.
I haven't started re-opening the beast yet, waiting for an advice…
As for connecting this unit to my stereo system, I will come back to this after resolving the first question.
Thanks again for your input!
Cheers,

Hugh

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 27 Dec 2019 14:40

47935;47934

Hi All,

Guess what I got as a Xmas present from my son in law!
He found it in Lille, made by a local artist who works on old vinyl records with a laser.
Found it remarquable enough to share it on our favorite forum!
Happy New Year to All!
Cheers,

Hugh

PS: Excuse the quality of the pic, taken with my old I-phone...