Adc Headshells Really That Good?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Spyes

Adc Headshells Really That Good?

Post by Spyes » 12 Jul 2011 19:57

So recently I found an ADC headshell laying around, and didn't think much of it - it looked like a cheap headshell that came off a cheap TT, so I put it aside. I was browsing around the web today and came upon some interesting facts - the magnesium ADC headshells are actually "the best headshells", and I even saw the same thing I've got laying here selling for about $50!
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... C00958.jpg
(not my photo, but seems to be the exact same thing I've got)
It seems to be really light weight, feels less than my 9g technics headshell at least. Maybe 6g?
So I'm wondering if I've come across something pretty cool, or am I exaggerating? And how well would this pair up with fairly light-weight carts? (currently all I've got..)

Thanks!

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 13 Jul 2011 08:27

I have a couple in my bits box (slightly different design I think) and they are indeed light. Not having had an arm with removable headshell for some time means they don't see much light...

Regards,
JaS

dlaloum
long player
long player

Post by dlaloum » 21 Jul 2011 03:24

There is some variation but the lightest ADC I have is 6.5g, the heaviest is 7.5g

If you are running high compliance cartridges - these are a big help in reducing the effective mass, and moving the resonant frequency up a little closer to where it needs to be (10Hz).

Most of the lightweight headshells are the swiss chess pressed aluminium ones - (much like the original SME lightweight headshell) - they tend to flex and ring a bit.

The ADC's are just as light (in many cases lighter), they are also nicely rigid, and they are non resonant...

There are other headshells that can be found at this weight point with similar performance criteria - but the most easily recognised one is the ADC. - there are by the way two types, yours with the half round lift handle is the lighter version, the ones with the straight lift are marginally heavier.

If what you are running is a mid to low compliance MC - don't bother - sell it to someone running a high compliance MM / MI.

But if you are running high compliance - these can make a noticeable difference.

As an aside - some of the "cheap plastic" headshells you sometimes find, are actually high quality delrin and/or carbon fibre headshells designed for MM / MI use.
ADC used quite a bit of Carbon Fibre in their time, along with magnesium...

bye for now

David

donovan

Re: Adc Headshells Really That Good?

Post by donovan » 12 Nov 2019 16:27

Are these older ADC Magnesium more rigid/less resonant than most aluminum headshells (Technics)?

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 12 Nov 2019 18:14

Which are the good delrin or carbon fiber headshells?

I have collected quite a few of the ADC headshells because they appeared to be the best quality lightweight ones I could afford. Prices have gone up quite a bit lately. I think the best way to buy them is to look for sales of combinations of cartridge+headshell with a cheap cartridge. I have purchased several this way. Sometimes, the seller does not realize the headshell is worth more than the cartridge. :)

donovan

Post by donovan » 12 Nov 2019 23:59

Never owned the ADC Delrin or Carbon Fiber. I do see a few of the Magnesium around, but they too are becoming more scarce.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 13 Nov 2019 04:23

another advantage of the magnesium ADC's is that if you need a shorter overhang settin (say 49mm collar to tip instead of 52mm) -the ADC's will accommodate almost all carts for this shorter distance. Be aware that if like me you are a recovering Linn mechanic and tend to crank down on headshell bolts -at the long end of things (long cart body at say 52mm collar to tip) - you can bend the headshell by gettin the cart over the lip at the front and crankin down on the bolts.