New to cassettes and would like some help

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Ressivaidyl
Australia

New to cassettes and would like some help

Post by Ressivaidyl » 14 Nov 2019 16:19

Hello!

I’m new to cassette players and would like some help.

For some reason my tapes only play from the left speaker!

I’ve tried playing them in my car and my portable cassette player (with headphones) and it’s happened with both.

My cassette player is old and has been living in a box it’s whole life, it came with the original batteries and head cleaner, all unused. (So cool!!)

The cassette player in my car has had a cassette converter in it for many years and I recently took it out. (Might be dirty)

All cassettes used to play from both speakers, but have now changed their minds.

If anyone has a clue please let me know! I love the sound of analog over digital and would love to fully enjoy it!

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: New to cassettes and would like some help

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Nov 2019 19:25

It would be telling to hear what is coming from the right channel. If it was total, absolute silence then the culprit would be both your players, a bit of a long shot. If there was still some cassette noise (as in hiss) maybe your tapes got left in a magnetic field and partially erased. Which is bigger long shot possibilty, that all your tapes were erased in the left channel only, but the right channel could be affected too and you just aren't noticing.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 15 Nov 2019 21:03

Yo Ressivaidyl:

Are the cassettes that you are playing commercially recorded cassettes or cassettes that you recorded yourself? Bob Dillon's questions are also appropriate. Since you say that they used to play from both channels, you could have a similar flaw in both your portable and your car player that is killing the left side. Did both cassette machines fail at the same time, or did one fail first? Stick your ear right up to the dead speaker and turn up and see if you are getting any noise or low sound out of the dead speaker. Di you know somebody with a good cassette player? Try one of your bad cassettes on that machine, and see if both channels play. Does your portable cassette machine record? Try a blank cassette on it and see if it records on both channels. If it only records on one channel, and that channel is the right channel, then you may have mistakenly erased the right channel, leaving no sound regardless of which machine you play the cassette on.

Best diagnostic ideas I can come up with. Good luck from the old best-guesser,

Joe Z.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 16 Nov 2019 00:51

Can you connect headphones to the cassette player? If yes, does it do the same thing?

Ressivaidyl
Australia

Post by Ressivaidyl » 16 Nov 2019 11:30

Thanks for replying guys!

I tried the headphones in my cassette player and no noise at all is coming from the right speakers.

I have used commercially recorded tapes and my own.

Something I thought was really interesting is that in my car my cassette adapter works in both speakers but the tapes don’t.

Any other ideas would be welcomed but thank you for the ideas so far!

chgc

Post by chgc » 19 Nov 2019 03:14

What model portable player are you using? I’m wondering if it could somehow be erasing one channel.