radio, tape, stands and accessories
Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Marantz 5020 cassette deck belt replacement

Post by Hugues TR4 » 05 Nov 2019 09:45

Hi All,

Bought my good old Marantz 5020 cassette deck in '77. It has served me faithfully for all these years.
Now it's time for a little TLC. The original belts are still on and (sort of) working.
I would like to change them and have bought a new belt kit.
I downloaded the service manual on HiFi Engine, but I can't see any info about how to get to the belts, how many of them should be changed (apparently four, as sold on e-bay) and where they are located. Reaching them doesn't seem too easy either...
Has anyone ever changed these 5020 belts, and could he (or she) give me the right procedures, as I do not wish to disassemble (and...re-assemble) the whole machine if I don't have to.
Most service manuals are clear about changing such an ordinary thing as a belt, but not Marantz (probably their belts should last eternally?)
Many thanks in advance for your usual kind cooperation and advice.
Cheers,

Hugh

VinyldechezPierre
France

Re: Marantz 5020 cassette deck belt replacement

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Nov 2019 11:37

Belts often require some disassembling that can sometime try one's patience. That said, it is doable.

I remember seeing a photo of your model with the bottom plate removed and you could see 2 belts. I will try and find the thread again for you. Anyway, I imagine the other two would be accessible from the top.

I have a SD 5010 (half the height of a standard deck) with 5 belts: 2 from the top and 3 from the bottom. The 2 on top have been changed but the other 3 are on standby because I don't have the space to leave an opened and disassembled machine around for however long it would take me to do the work.

For starters, you could just remove the top and bottom and take a look. It may be easier to do than on mine.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 05 Nov 2019 12:55

Merci Pierre pour ta réponse rapide!
I will indeed open the bottom and see if I can reach anything from there. Remember I had to change a fuse there a few years ago.
Found a thread on u-tube, but it was about the 5220 and they are not identical inside. The thread you mentioned could probably help.
I'm quite a reasonable mech, I can manage any idler Dual, but my electrical skills are not really what they should be (!)
Waiting for the belts I ordered and will chime in again soon.
Thanks again,
Cheers,

Hugh

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Nov 2019 17:40

Your 5020 is mentioned on the Radiomuseum website where, not being a member, I cannot enlarge the images enough to see more than I'd seen in the thread I mentioned earlier.

I found said thread and here are both links:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marantz_s ... 020_e.html
https://vintage-audio-heritage.fr/viewtopic.php?t=1521

On that second link there is a pretty good photo where you can see two belts. One going around the large wheel, just left of center and the second is right over the bottom left foot. You can see it go around two different wheels then go back up towards the center.

If you pay attention, you will notice differences between the models shown in the two links. The Radiomuseum one is called a 5020 (e); don't know what that (e) is for but it seems to make a difference.

Now, I've asked the OP on the french forum if he has any photos showing the other two belts because I had no idea whether or not you spoke french. If you do and want to join the forum, be my guest. But if you don't, I'm happy to stay as a go-between. If he ever answers that is... :lol:

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 05 Nov 2019 21:07

Encore mille mercis , Pierre!
I had forgotten about the Radio Museum and I will certainly keep a watchful eye on the Vintage Audio forum.
No problem about French, it is my mother tongue. But I write in English in case our conversation could help some of our other fellows VEers.
The beast is re-assembled now, waiting for the new belts to land, but when they arrive, i will not fail to open the bottom part first, where apparently are the most important ones. On the top, I think, there are only the ones related to REW and counter.
Will be back soon.
Bonne soirée et à bientôt,

Hugues

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 06 Nov 2019 08:19

If you can, shoot some photos as you change the belts. It could help others eventually.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 20 Nov 2019 19:55

OK. Managed to replace the four belts by new ones bought from a German supplier on e-bay.
Eventually discovered that it was possible to squeeze the main belt between the chassis and the motor pulley just by removing the nylon adjusting screw. To set it back was no problem: just enough space to fit a flat metal gauge for the thrust adjustment.
Once you know, it is straight forward, as usual! No mention in the SM at all.
Quite a difference: the speed had become insecure due to a 40 years old rubber belt. Already a miracle it had lasted so long!
Thanks Pierre for your contribution.
By the way, I had some contacts with the Vintage Audio heritage: very friendly folks!
If anybody encounters an issue with this equipment, I will be delighted to help within my skills range.
Thanks again,
Cheers,

Hugh

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 21 Nov 2019 09:06

Hugues TR4 wrote:
20 Nov 2019 19:55
Thanks Pierre for your contribution.
Sometimes a little encouragement is all that is needed and that is all I really gave you. :D

Glad that you were able to do the job though.