the home of the turntable

Life back to my PT Anni

light fantastic

Life back to my PT Anni

Postby FatBoyKirk » 01 May 2012 21:39

My Pink Triangle Anniversary has been unused in a while and since (probably not properly) setting up again, it's playing a bit fast! I'm advised it'll be the psu. I've also been advised that a Heed 2 psu would work. Has anyone any experience of this mod or educated thoughts?
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Re: Life back to my PT Anni

Postby rolleye » 01 May 2012 22:13

My Anni has the external trimmers on the psu so no problems adjusting speed if required.
I assume yours has the internal trimmers so if you can locate them it should be an easy job to adjust the speed, someone on here will tell you where they are.
Not sure about the Heed Orbit on an Anni but i've used one on a PT Too with dead electrics, fitted a Rega psu board to the original PT motor and then fitted the Heed, works a treat :D .... and 33/45 at the push of a button.
rolleye

Great Britain

Postby tim_bissell » 01 May 2012 23:12

My Anni has the external trimmers too, so I can't help there.... but you should definitely be able to adjust the speed.

... but I thought all Anniversaries were DC (hence motor mounted on the sub chassis) and I thought Heed PSUs were for PT Too, PT Export Linn Sondek and other AC airpax motored turntables.

-- Tim

P.S. Is it black or natural coloured? Has it got a three digit serial number? (We're trying to see if there were any four digit ones!)
tim_bissell
contributor

Postby avinunca1 » 02 May 2012 23:04

Heed make good kit but definitely a/c for turntables with synchronous motors.
I agree with Tim.
avinunca1

Postby rockdove » 03 May 2012 00:48

Hi have a PT-1 (original DC model), this as small trimmers to adjust the speed.
I thought PT went back to DC with the Anni's too? Do the anni's have trimmers aswell?
rockdove
contributor

Great Britain

Postby FatBoyKirk » 03 May 2012 02:13

It's a black Anni. I'm pretty sure it's DC, so does that mean neither Heed 1 or 2 is not compatible? I'll have to have a look for serial numbers (she's in storage whilst I have the problem). I'll also look again for external trimmers but I don't recall any? I bought the deck new in approx 1988. I've had feedback from a repair guy that internal trimmers usually can't give sufficient trim to bring drifted speed back in and he claims this is typical for an Anni? If I can't use a Heed I'll have to go fir a new PT PSU @ over £600? Thanks for the great feedback so far - much appreciated.
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Postby FatBoyKirk » 03 May 2012 02:24

What about tha VX PSU from The Funk Firm? As an alternative to a Heed (not compatible) or a very expensive new PT one? Any views? Also, does anyone have an easier to read set of set up instructions for the Anni as I'm probably on my own the next time I set her up as Nigel Brown of Chantry Audio is no longer around.
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Postby rolleye » 03 May 2012 06:44

a copy of the handbook can be found in the 'library'.....it suggests that 'speed can be altered with trim pots on the board marked 33 and 45rpm' so whip the top off the psu and look for said items. Once found turn psu on and run turntable then adjust accordingly (with a strobe if you have one) but remember there is MAINS VOLTAGE IN THERE! :shock: :shock:
rolleye

Great Britain

Postby tim_bissell » 03 May 2012 13:41

Hi,
I'd really like to clarify what model of PT this is! The Anniversary only came out in 1991 (possibly '90?) I'm fairly sure it wasn't around in 1988. Does it hava an external, combined power supply/speed controller, i.e. a separate box with mains in and a rotary switch for off/33/45?

cheers,

Tim
tim_bissell
contributor

Postby Alex M » 03 May 2012 20:05

When I bought my PT TOO from Compact Music at the end of 1989, the dealer mentioned that Pink were shortly to put a "super-deck" on the market, so the Anniversary was clearly not yet on sale in 1989. The first reviews I read came out in 1991.

At that time the only Pink decks on the market were the TOO and the LPT. The two trimmers in the TOO PSU are internal to the box, and are for adjustment of the phase of the waveform at 33 and 45 RPM, not the speed.

Alex
Alex M
contributor

Postby FatBoyKirk » 03 May 2012 20:18

Got the manual now, ta. Will have a go at some DIY trimming.
OK looks like I got he date wrong and it may well have been 1991. It does have an external supply/speed controller which glows green or red for it's 2 speed.

Thanks again folks.
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Postby tim_bissell » 03 May 2012 23:25

That's an Anniversary - it would be good if you could take a photo of the circuit board from above for the VE archives - I'll try and do one of mine this weekend...

-- Tim
tim_bissell
contributor

Postby minio » 08 May 2012 09:47

My Anni has tended to run at a higher speed and thus required a trim with the internal screws. Eventually the adjustment ran out so I modded the trim circuit with an additional resistor. It has operated like this for several years at the correct pitch.
minio

Postby FatBoyKirk » 10 May 2012 23:15

I'll try the trim as soon as I get a chance. If it goes beyond its range, that'll be me having to pay for a fix. But I'll pass you tip onto the guy I'll have to pay. Cheers.
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Postby FatBoyKirk » 20 May 2012 16:52

I did it! I set the Anni up and fixed the speed! Thanks for the tips and giving me the nerve to try. I took some photos, so I'll try to upload. The big question now is what to listen to properly first? I guess it should be the first album I ever bought...But the Mrs. may not take too kindly the the whole of Tales from Topographic Oceans?!
FatBoyKirk

Great Britain

Next

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm