Best Arm - Cartridge combination

light fantastic

Re: Best Arm - Cartridge combination

Postby avinunca1 » 30 Dec 2011 13:08

Thanks guys.
avinunca1

Postby avinunca1 » 02 Jan 2012 11:17

I spent some time on the deck yesterday cutting up some roofing lead sheet so now have the combined weight (arm/arm-board etc) at 820 gms. I was able to adjust the suspension spot on afterwards - bouncing nicely. Tried routing the phono lead under and back over the top of the sub-chassis securing it to stop it fouling top or bottom. Not a success.
Have decided to get some tall feet for clearance and cut a large hole in the base under the arm for the lead to fall into before being secured to the top surface then run out through another hole.
I'm trying to decide whether I prefer to have the achromat fitted or not. Also trying the record clamp. Both these are new to me. Must have a read up on other's experiences using these.
avinunca1

Postby ProfTournesol » 03 Jan 2012 00:50

avincula1 another option is to buy some end grain balsa sheeting, 1cm thick and just fashion a baseplate out of that. Leave a hole at the rear for the cabling. It's a big improvement on any combination of footers that I've tried on a PT.
regards
Michael

Funked Pink Triangle, Kuzma Stogi Reference, Sound Smith Strain Gauge & SG-200 phono
CEC TL-51x, Apple MacMini, Amarra/Fidelia, Weiss Minerva DAC
Tandberg 3011, Octave HP500se -> active ADAM Tensor Deltas. Argento Serenity cabling
ProfTournesol

Australia

Postby natty_dredd » 03 Jan 2012 03:40

avinunca1 wrote:I spent some time on the deck yesterday cutting up some roofing lead sheet so now have the combined weight (arm/arm-board etc) at 820 gms.

Is 820g definitely the correct combined weight?

When I search the web for a definitive answer, I only find my own comments over the years - yet I can't remember now where I got that from in the first place.....

Put my mind at rest that I'm not spreading mis-info. Hopefully AK can confirm.
natty_dredd

Postby ProfTournesol » 03 Jan 2012 03:48

820g is the weight Arthur gave me, I remember because it's the same weight as the Kuzma.
regards
Michael

Funked Pink Triangle, Kuzma Stogi Reference, Sound Smith Strain Gauge & SG-200 phono
Tandberg 3011, Octave HP500se -> active ADAM Tensor Deltas. Argento Serenity cabling
ProfTournesol

Australia

Postby Zebbo » 03 Jan 2012 08:33

Hmmm, that's interesting because I've got the FXR II here to try and it was supplied to me with a new weighted arm board and their combined weight is around 700g.
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby ProfTournesol » 03 Jan 2012 09:25

820g? That is in fact just about spot on for the design weight for the arm
for a PT...strange but true.

Arthur's email reply to my question about whether the Kuzma was too heavy for my PT. Perhaps there's a suitable weight range?
regards
Michael

ProfTournesol

Australia

Postby rolleye » 03 Jan 2012 10:39

ProfTournesol wrote:
Perhaps there's a suitable weight range?

I would imagine that is the case as i have used a variety of arms that have fallen within the 700 - 850g range and all have worked well with some suspension adjustment.
rolleye

Great Britain

Postby rolleye » 03 Jan 2012 11:08

avinunca1 wrote:Tried routing the phono lead under and back over the top of the sub-chassis securing it to stop it fouling top or bottom. Not a success.
Have decided to get some tall feet for clearance and cut a large hole in the base under the arm for the lead to fall into before being secured to the top surface then run out through another hole.

If you intend to use this arm indefinitely then you could try this, its what i did and it works well, has no effect on suspension and allows the use of a variety of armleads. The downside is that the fixed armlead has to be cut and soldered to a couple of rca sockets from inside the plinth but if you have the top plate off then it shouldn't be a problem.

rolleye

Great Britain

Postby avinunca1 » 03 Jan 2012 11:37

rolleye wrote:
avinunca1 wrote:Tried routing the phono lead under and back over the top of the sub-chassis securing it to stop it fouling top or bottom. Not a success.

If you intend to use this arm indefinitely then you could try this, its what i did and it works well, has no effect on suspension and allows the use of a variety of armleads. The downside is that the fixed armlead has to be cut and soldered to a couple of rca sockets from inside the plinth but if you have the top plate off then it shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately I don't think this will help me.
The problem is that the cables exit the arm base quite low down and the only way I can see to bring them back to the normal exit hole is to go around the subchassis. The cable is certainly too stiff to directly return looping back up within the subchassis cut-out. The arm and cable are more suited to a non suspended deck. I'm fairly sure that I need to add taller feet so that the cable can drop through a hole in the base plate before re-entering. It can then exit from a new hole in the plinth or more likely through another hole in the baseplate. A photo is needed here!
avinunca1

Postby rolleye » 03 Jan 2012 12:42

ok, if the arm lead is to stiff to bend at the appropriate angle, why don't you just run it straight out through the base board and directly to your phono amp, you could use a 'p' clip underneath the plinth to secure it if you wanted, it's exactly what some users do with their Anniversary, I do it on mine with the Helius Orion arm which also has quite stiff arm leads.

If your arm leads are that stiff then maybe you could have it re-wired with something more flexible.

Hmmmmmm.....bit dusty back there, more cleaning required (New Year resolution :^o )
rolleye

Great Britain

Postby horfield » 03 Jan 2012 22:52

As I have an Anni I run the arm cable through the hole in the bottom and through a hole I have cut in my TT table. Works a treat. As for weight of the arm + board speaking Arthur he said it should be 820g. Having said that he them supplied me with a new armboard (Rega fit) for my Anni total mass of armboard 200g even though I asked for 350g. That's Arthur for you! Are FF not making armboards for PT's at present, not even through Emporium Hi-Fi?

Neale
horfield

Postby rolleye » 04 Jan 2012 11:02

horfield wrote: Having said that he them supplied me with a new armboard (Rega fit) for my Anni total mass of armboard 200g even though I asked for 350g. That's Arthur for you! Are FF not making armboards for PT's at present, not even through Emporium Hi-Fi?

Neale

you might have to fit a lead weight (150g) underneath the armboard as i don't think the weights are supplied anymore, last armboard i purchased didn't have one either, just the c/f board and foamex spacer
rolleye

Great Britain

Postby Zebbo » 04 Jan 2012 18:17

The one that came with the FXR II had a round weight let-in to the underside and weighs about 250g.
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby rolleye » 04 Jan 2012 18:50

Zebbo wrote:The one that came with the FXR II had a round weight let-in to the underside and weighs about 250g.

so did mine, i wonder if FF are able to supply the weights, might be worth a phone call
rolleye

Great Britain

PreviousNext

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm