Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Hum -- Advice Please?

carboniferous
allanc

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Hum -- Advice Please?

Post by allanc » 24 May 2013 07:48

My first turntable in years, a new Pro-ject Debut Carbon, hums way too much. It is almost positively motor vibration. The hum occurs only when the stylus is touching the record, even with the belt removed (record not turning), and only when the motor is turned on. Lift the tone arm or turn off the motor and the hum goes away.

My dilemma is whether to reject the table as defective and send it back or to try some form of vibration fix. Also, maybe all tables of this make / model have the same problem and I should look for a refund rather than a replacement?

Can one of the experts give me some advice? Thanks!

Mr_Rankovic

Re: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Hum -- Advice Please?

Post by Mr_Rankovic » 24 May 2013 14:07

The same thing occurred with my Debut Carbon. I had no problem getting it replaced by my reseller. I decided to put in a little more money and ended up getting a 2Xperience Classic and there is no more hum.

A friend of mine recently got a Debut Carbon and while it's not as bad as the hum I was getting and you can't really hear it when playing music, it's still there.

I recommend you talk about it to your dealer first. You could be surprised the length most of them would go to keep their costumers happy! ;)

gmw65

Post by gmw65 » 24 May 2013 17:00

It sounds like your cartridge is picking up motor hum. Some carts are known for this. I don't know about the 2m red though. To determine if it is the case, does the hum get worse closer to the motor?
Also the project motors are known for rumble. Try screwing down the transport screws to see if it helps. Some have had success doing that.

allanc

Post by allanc » 24 May 2013 20:18

Are there transport screws on the Carbon? The manual doesn't mention them and some other posts say that such have been eliminated. But if there are transport screws, I didn't remove them and maybe that is part of my problem. Advice?

gmw65

Post by gmw65 » 24 May 2013 20:44

Hmmm, I assumed they would b there like other project tables. One way to find out. Lift the platter and have a look. While you have the platter off turn on the motor and have a listen. Bring the tonearm close to it and listen for hum. If there is no hum it must be vibration transmitted through the platter to the stylus.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 24 May 2013 22:49

I solved similar motor hum (exact same symptoms) on the Carbon by removing the motor holddown screws (transport screws) - and placing small bits of rubber under the support bands, only on the platter side. The lift from the bits of rubber keeps the bands off the base, and the one-sided install keeps the motor level. There was some trial and error, cussing, etc, but I did fix it.

Some folks have reported success by just loosening the screws.

I would fool with it a bit before bringing it back.

allanc

Post by allanc » 31 May 2013 02:20

I returned the TT for a replacement. Thanks for the advice -- I will employ it if the next TT also has a hum issue.

jakesterboy

Post by jakesterboy » 15 Sep 2013 09:58

Yes I am getting hum between my Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable with 2M red cartridge and Arcam A19 amp - I added a single core of speaker cable to earth the turntable grounding point and the similar grounding point on the A19, and the volume of the hum diminished, but is still there - any suggestions? :shock:

Bob_in_OKC

Post by Bob_in_OKC » 16 Sep 2013 05:33

You'll need to identify the exact nature of what you're hearing, if you haven't already. There are various discussions using the word "hum" to describe a motor vibration issue, which could be what you're hearing. You might want to try removing the platter and running the turntable while you listen and feel around the plinth, subplatter and motor to determine whether that's what it is.

larrycow

Post by larrycow » 23 Sep 2013 19:41

I was getting hum between my Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable with 2M red cartridge and Arcam Alpha 10- I added a single core of speaker cable to earth the turntable grounding point and the similar grounding point on the amp, but this was ineffective. I then grounded the TT lug to each output jack w/very high gauge wire, et voila! No hum, glorius sound.
Hope this helps.
Larry

rtk79

Post by rtk79 » 18 Oct 2013 16:25

Hello all. I've been getting random, intermittent bouts of high-pitched hum with my own month-old Carbon Esprit (Orotofon Red and Acrylic platter) hooked to a Rega Fono Mini. The thing is liable to start whing at any given time, whether the motor is turning or not.
I've noticed one of the RCA plugs (the left channel, as it happens) doesn't hold a cable very well (that is: cables hooked on to it are always a little loose).
Could that be the cause of my problem? Is there anything I can do, short of sending the turntable back?

bob r

Post by bob r » 24 Oct 2013 13:39

I am sorry to here your troubles with this TT i have been there myself for many months i tried to find out what was going on with the HUM putting in a new motor then a new phono preamp , new cables , new stylus. and then the left channel started dropping out

finely i replaced the TT all is good now thats what i would do ask the place where you brought it to replace it

also there are many people like you and me all over the internet with the same thing happening i would do a google search as i did and i found this great site and great new friends to help

Calabogie-Jim

Post by Calabogie-Jim » 15 Apr 2014 03:37

I have tried several of the "fixes" suggested with various degrees of success but I was not satisfied. I was still hearing motor hum when the TT was spinning and getting hum thru the speakers when the stylus was in contact with the record. I sent an email to the shop where I purchased the TT and they sent the following:

" We removed the small rubber pads underneath the 2
wings of the mount, problem solved (no such rubbers on previous Debuts,
don't know why they do that now)."

This goes against most everything I have read about fixing the Debut Carbon motor hum...but it works - for me anyway. If nothing else is working, I suggest you give it a try.

pressure-weld

Post by pressure-weld » 24 Apr 2014 02:34

I have also had bad interconnects cause a hum. I find that running a second ground wire from my TT to the middle screw on my electrical outlet will get rid of every last bit of hum... This effectively grounds the table to the house earth ground. "In the US with a standard outlet at least". I guess it's a "direct earth" ground thing.

rtk79

Post by rtk79 » 29 Jun 2014 21:20

Apologies for being dense, but how do you actually go about running a second ground wire from your turntable? Where do you run it from? And, for that matter, where do you find ground wire?