project perspective and speed box- do they work together

carboniferous
cooksferry

project perspective and speed box- do they work together

Post by cooksferry » 02 Sep 2005 06:22

Can anyone tell me if the Project Perspective will work with the Project speed box.
The Project site doesn't say it wont but because the Perspective has a different motor for each speed that may makethe speed box unusable.
Anyone tried?

stereophile
Philippines

Post by stereophile » 05 Oct 2006 14:42

Sadly, the Project Speedbox will not work with Project Perspective. The Perspective comes with two(2) motors. One for 33 1/3rpm, the other for 45rpm. The RPM-6, RPM-9, Studie will be able to use the Speedbox.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » 11 Oct 2006 16:18

stereophile wrote:Sadly, the Project Speedbox will not work with Project Perspective. The Perspective comes with two(2) motors. One for 33 1/3rpm, the other for 45rpm. The RPM-6, RPM-9, Studie will be able to use the Speedbox.
er actually it will with the 33 motor ... I've tried it. It makes the 45 motor redundant (actually its the same motor with a different pulley).

cooksferry

Post by cooksferry » 23 Oct 2006 00:21

Uncle Ants wrote:
stereophile wrote:Sadly, the Project Speedbox will not work with Project Perspective. The Perspective comes with two(2) motors. One for 33 1/3rpm, the other for 45rpm. The RPM-6, RPM-9, Studie will be able to use the Speedbox.
er actually it will with the 33 motor ... I've tried it. It makes the 45 motor redundant (actually its the same motor with a different pulley).
Thanks for reply. Which version speedbox did you try and did you find it worthwhile.
My biggest problem is actually swaping the motors over and the hassle getting the belt back on. Bit of a pain when you just want to play one 45.

stereophile
Philippines

Post by stereophile » 23 Oct 2006 01:19

Uncle Ants wrote:
Sorry about that. My dealer said that it couldn't be done. That is great news for Perpective owners! Those I know who own this rig gripe about the hassle of switching motors, and end up just playing 33 1/3 LPs mostly.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » 23 Oct 2006 13:53

cooksferry wrote: Thanks for reply. Which version speedbox did you try and did you find it worthwhile.
My biggest problem is actually swaping the motors over and the hassle getting the belt back on. Bit of a pain when you just want to play one 45.
The standard Speedbox II. It was on a customers deck, so it was more a case of checking that it worked for the 33/45 switcheroo. That said the effectiveness of either speedbox in terms of sound quality is to an extent dependent on how messy your mains supply is in the first place, but it usually brings some benefits in terms of soundstaging and perhaps a slight increase in detail retrieval. If you have any 45s at all its well worth doing simply from a practical pov.

Stereophile. I was told it didn't work as well, but I'm a contrary sort so I tried it ... I also know its the same 16v motor in the pod as on all the other Pro-Ject decks except the early 230v ones and the RPM9/10, so knew no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't ... and I was right.

The Speedbox II is a bit of an audio bargain IMO.

cooksferry

Post by cooksferry » 24 Oct 2006 05:45

Uncle Ants wrote:
cooksferry wrote: Thanks for reply. Which version speedbox did you try and did you find it worthwhile.
The standard Speedbox II. It was on a customers deck, so it was more a case of checking that it worked for the 33/45 switcheroo. That said the effectiveness of either speedbox in terms of sound quality is to an extent dependent on how messy your mains supply is in the first place, but it usually brings some benefits in terms of soundstaging and perhaps a slight increase in detail retrieval. If you have any 45s at all its well worth doing simply from a practical pov.

Stereophile. I was told it didn't work as well, but I'm a contrary sort so I tried it ... I also know its the same 16v motor in the pod as on all the other Pro-Ject decks except the early 230v ones and the RPM9/10, so knew no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't ... and I was right.

The Speedbox II is a bit of an audio bargain IMO.
Cheers and thanks. I have placed and order with my local dealer here.
I couldn't see any reason why this wouldn't work but got into some reasonably heated debate with a NZ Project dealer who was confident that it wasn't possible. I even e-mailed Project who passed it on to their Australasian agent with this reply from the original speedbox.
"We do not recommend to use Speed Box with model Perspective, as there is a separate motor for each speed available. Still Speed Box will work changing speed between 33 and 45 r.p.m. on the Perspective`s 33rpm motor, if convenience requires this."

One other question re the Perspective I haven't found an answer to is whether the spindle shaft/bearing should be oiled. The handbook doesn't mention anything but as a mechanic I feel where there's friction there should be some lube so I have a small amount of some very thin oil installed. Am I wrong with this?

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » 24 Oct 2006 10:36

cooksferry wrote:
One other question re the Perspective I haven't found an answer to is whether the spindle shaft/bearing should be oiled. The handbook doesn't mention anything but as a mechanic I feel where there's friction there should be some lube so I have a small amount of some very thin oil installed. Am I wrong with this?
No definitive answer I'm afraid, but don't see that it can harm so long as its not too viscous

stereophile
Philippines

Post by stereophile » 24 Oct 2006 11:46

That means Perspective owners who use the Speedbox II w/ the 33 1/3 rpm motor, now have a 'spare' motor. \:D/ They just have to get a 33 1/3 pulley, right? :D

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » 24 Oct 2006 11:53

stereophile wrote:That means Perspective owners who use the Speedbox II w/ the 33 1/3 rpm motor, now have a 'spare' motor. \:D/ They just have to get a 33 1/3 pulley, right? :D
Well yes ... but given how rare a motor failure is it's a bit of a chocolate teapot ... unless you wanted to DIY a second deck :)

kuan

Post by kuan » 23 Aug 2010 15:04

I think I'm going to go down to Needledoctor and get myself a Speedbox today.

Thanks old thread. Question answered, and I know how some people hate to start new threads about the same old thing. :)

I also know how people hate reviving five year old threads. :lol:

cooksferry

Post by cooksferry » 28 Aug 2010 05:17

I'm still using mine but with a RPM10 now-makes life so much easier switching speeds.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 18 Sep 2010 02:48

Hi,
If you live in the US 60Hz wall power you will have to use the Project Perspective 45 rpm motor with the Speedbox II as the SpeedBox in the US use 42.32Hz@33 1/3 and 60Hz@45rpm. Hope this helps.

cacmanjr
United States of America

Re: project perspective and speed box- do they work together

Post by cacmanjr » 05 Dec 2019 01:47

Did not work for me. Put the 45rpm motor in and used a speed box s. Turntable rotated too fast on 33 1/3 speed.