puddlesplasher

Speed box DS

Post by puddlesplasher » 25 Nov 2019 19:11

Just curious if anyone is using one of these and if so is it any good

StephDale
Great Britain

Re: Speed box DS

Post by StephDale » 25 Nov 2019 21:57

I'm using the earlier version, SpeedBox SE, with the Thorens TD160 that's playing as I type. I think it's pretty good, yes; was there anything specific you wanted to know? I'll be happy to help, if I can.

Steph

puddlesplasher

Post by puddlesplasher » 26 Nov 2019 21:21

Just curios to know if it improves the turntable or is it just a speed changer

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 26 Nov 2019 22:04

Well, a TD160 has a lever speed change; I don't use the SpeedBox SE to change speed at all. Where it scores in in the ability to produce good clean mains or 16V which improves the sound (assuming the rest of your system has the resolution). For a table with manual speed change I guess the ability to switch electrically is useful too.

Compared to the standard 16v PSU that Thorens supply I get improved soundstage stability, a bit of extension at both top and bottom and an increase in dynamics. Of course, it's going to depend a bit on what your base turntable is like, but I like the improvements a better PSU typically brings.

Pro-ject certainly used to do a simpler speed change than the SpeedBox SE, which I think remains an option if you have one of their 16v turntables. The main advantages of the bigger unit are the mains output and ability to fine tune the speed if you find you need to.

Steph